Is this a sign they not gonna extend the visa amnesty ?

12 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Can I ask what it has to do with you if Immigration decide to give out another free amnesty?

Does it affect your current visa?

Does it cost you anything?

Does it impact your life in any way?

Any reason that I may have not thought of?

Please share why it affects you

Immigration, like any government agency, has a budget and expenses. They need income. The longer they have no income the worse things get for everyone in that organization. Personally, I like my IO's to be in a good mood.

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

Yes, that's what i meant.

But the amnesty until July 31st was enacted by the Cabinet, not by immigration. An extension would also be decided by the Cabinet.

If Immigration would be sure that the Cabinet will extend it, there would be no need to open Muang Thong Thani.

Thus the opening of Muang Thong Thani shows that Immigration is at least not certain if the Cabinet will extend it.

It could of course also be that neither Immigration nor Cabinet planned to extend the amnesty in the old matter, but do something as simple as: People can apply for continuous 30 day extensions for 1900THB per time. This would still allow everybody to stay, they would earn more money, and it would require Muang Thong Thani to have the capacity to process all these extensions. This is of course just a guess by me.

I don't see how they're necessarily related. It's all speculation at this point.

As of a couple of days ago, we received news the authorities were "mulling" an extension of the amnesty. It's not a foregone conclusion it will happen, but a strong likelihood in my opinion. We'll know probably around Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Although you may have a point in the second half of your reply. Perhaps that's what might happen. Similar to what Laos has been doing all along - granting 1 month extensions for a fee, until such time the borders re-open.

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

Ok so you haven't really got a reason have you?

People who can't get home are all of the above? People who I know for a fact have had their flights cancelled 4 or 5 times? People who are having to sell their possessions back at home so they can get some money to survive here because they can't get home?

Reports of Thais feeding foreigners - reports of foreigners living in the woods etc

Your comments are idiotic to say the least

I had 6 visitors between Dec./19 - Feb./20. All had remaining time left on their holidays (between 1 to 3 months) All, after informing themselves of the situation with a tool named the internet, all decided to depart while there was flight availability. There were a few rescheduled flights at the time but for the most part if you wanted out of here you would have had to be a complete idiot not to accomplish that. IMO people that remained had fantasies about being 'trapped in paradise' and then when they figured out they would need to provide for themselves, they were shocked. In the pre internet days possibly I would have had some sympathy, but now I reserve that for children and those with Alzheimers, anyone else who can read is beyond a moron for putting themselves in their mess.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Sujo said:

Foreigners/expats stuck in thailand with all this uncertainty have my genuine empathy.

I so agree - I'm glad i'm not! You folks have my sympathy FWIW

The changes of policy here in the UK are confusing, but in Thailand, they're positively bewildering, especially as one government department frequently contradicts another!

And to @darrendsd : You said "...when they are allowed in the vast vast majority will come in on Visa Exempts which are free and Immigration and the Government get nothing in Immigration fees  from them" You are of course assuming that Visa Exempts will even be allowed in future.

I'm not sure that will be the case, certainly not for some considerable time .....then again, I'm not sure it won't be......then again, is any of us sure of anything right now? 

Sorry for putting yet another negative thought out there but IMO the possibility exists that all foreigners will require visas.

Edited by VBF

7 hours ago, VBF said:

Sorry for putting yet another negative thought out there but IMO the possibility exists that all foreigners will require visas.

I don't think your being negative at all. I have been posting many times that visa exempt entry may be unavailable for a period. They may make minimum tourist visa for entry. For folk here under amnesty thinking do border bounce for 30+30 visa exempt, they need plan B

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

OK. But how then to explain the infographic that says go to Desk J for TR60 ?

I have not even looked at infographic. My guess is desk to obtain 30 day extension to tourist visa. If folk did not previously obtain an extension they could PRIOR to amnesty ending. They will NOT be able to apply for a setv.

• Haha 1

I would guess that the amnesty will remain until the land borders are open and that is not a decision that Thailand can make on its own. It involves the adjoining countries as well. There needs to be a meeting between Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Thailand to decide when each border is going to be open.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, greggraham said:

Says it all really doesn't it.

I don't need to. Tourist visas are not issued inside Thailand. You can obtain a 30 day extension to a setv and visa exempt once.

If you have not obtained an extension during current amnesty you can prior to end of amnesty (I believe amnesty will be extended)

Read post #51

Edited by DrJack54

10 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

OK. But how then to explain the infographic that says go to Desk J for TR60 ?

Today, Counter J at CW is for a 30 day extension, on a Tourist Visa or a Visa Exemption. 

I guess it would be the same at Muang Thon Thani? (Note that they're using the same counter designations.)

So if you're holding a 60 day tourist visa which ran through 27 March, then maybe you can get a 30 day extension when amnesty ends?

Just now, Benitostacos said:

Sums up everything pretty well. I really don't understand this resentment from several posters on this forum against people under the amnesty. I too am currently under the amnesty and I am grateful to the Thai government for allowing me to stay here

I'm also under amnesty, I have a valid ME VISA until next April, but can't bounce to use it.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, andux said:

We'll see what side immigration takes.

It's absolutely nothing to do with immigration, they have no say in this.

Why do you confuse the Thai government and MFA with immigration?

Edited by BritManToo

This thread really got the TV stress-monkeys panties in a bunch.

It looks like Thai Immigration in Chonburi is (finally) instigating an online appointment booking system.

End of.

Edited by NanLaew

15 hours ago, darrendsd said:

It costs nothing for them to let people stay here on a visa amnesty so where is their expense from that? Apart from a few meetings to decide what to do

No tourists are coming in for the forseeable future - when they are allowed in the vast vast majority will come in on Visa Exempts which are free and Immigration and the Government get nothing in Immigration fees  from them

So your point is totally flawed isn't it?

As for wanting YOUR I/0s to be in a good mood well that point is laughable

Well, since my dealings with immigration are typically enjoyable, I guess I am laughing. And suggesting that no person on amnesty would ever visit immigration again with baht in hand once amnesty is over seems flawed to me.

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

This thread really got the TV stress-monkeys panties in a bunch.

It looks like Thai Immigration is (finally) instigating an online appointment booking system.

End of.

Crikey, I hope me agent has a booking for me!

• Like 1

The Chonburi app is 2yrs old and has never worked. The queq app has only 3 districts listed so doesn't work for Chonburi. However if some offices are thinking of opening additional space like Chonburi did at a local school then they might be planning for the amnesty to finish

3 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I would guess that the amnesty will remain until the land borders are open and that is not a decision that Thailand can make on its own. It involves the adjoining countries as well. There needs to be a meeting between Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Thailand to decide when each border is going to be open.

geting nervious, I haven't used my extension for my non-o but something tells me i'll be unable to coming of amnesty. Even if these borders open there will be restrictions on both sides.