Ford Ranger used buy or not buy

I was falling over this ford Ranger Pickup, I am looking for a used pickup.

I was mainly looking for Toyota or Isuzu, they are strong cars in my opinion and ok to buy used I think.

But then I find this Ford to a good price, so there will be money to make some repairings.

My question is, do Ford make this pick up or is it an "adopted" model from Mazda or another asian producer.

I am mainly thinking about the engine, is it one of the strong ones from the "asian Toyota, Isuzu, Mazda, Nissan family ?

I remember that Ford and Mazda was engaged some years ago, but later split up again.

Ford Ranger 2001 Diesel, Manual, Silver Bronze, Pickup Truck, Sale Picture 1

Edited by finnsk

hope this is cheap as heck because you can get around 2008 Suzuki Carry on Facebook under 100k (there are a few) and they look 10x better than this

+ as far as i know the box is the same size

• Like 2

Following on from all the other posts it is a buyers market people are desperate for money so look around and take your time.

If you buy that truck I think you are buying somebody else's problems.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, alacrity said:

It's a Ford motor fitted to the Ford you're interested in. THB 40,00-50,000 would be maximum price range for what's in the photo. A Mazda of that age uses the same motor(s).

Its actually a Mazda engine (WL-T 2.5) fitted to a rebadged Mazda.

Here’s one I might buy (owned by sister-in-law) with a view to mildly customising and use for transporting motorcycles due to its long bed. 

2003 Ford Ranger 2500cc (or 2000cc) non turbo 305,000 klms, everything works, good brakes,clutch,no smoke.

I value it at 35,000 baht and have been using it for 12 months around the farm and driving between Sakhon Nakon and Udon Thani, it’s reasonably comfortable at 110 kph.

Very solid, reliable trucks, parts plentiful and easy to work on. 

A3F6F415-4F95-433C-8BFD-8E6630BBA148.jpeg.9511b0002444d0be53eb1b33b2abd096.jpeg5FA36AA2-2CC9-4177-B9E7-2BFA5C88F20C.jpeg.aece17ab2213f2c134d884de4867704a.jpeg8647C51F-8A5C-418C-88C2-052DF1D4B7C7.thumb.jpeg.e5d8e10113df2215bc86efb67e1acae7.jpeg

Edited by twocatsmac
  • Like 2

Ford and Mazda where together for few years so the Mazda was actually built on the Ford's platform and not the other way around. 

The car in the photo is an old model - I've seen them around but don't know much about them re engine, road handling and so on. In 2012 Ford opened a new, big factory in Rayong and they supply cars and trucks to many countries including Australia,  New Zealand, the Philippines and more. I own a newer model of ranger and it is great driving it, can carry heavy loads, good road handling. However - maintenance is expensive, parts only from Ford, most local mechanics can't fix them. For an old car I would go with Toyota or Isuzu

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Ford and Mazda where together for few years so the Mazda was actually built on the Ford's platform and not the other way around. 

The car in the photo is an old model - I've seen them around but don't know much about them re engine, road handling and so on. In 2012 Ford opened a new, big factory in Rayong and they supply cars and trucks to many countries including Australia,  New Zealand, the Philippines and more. I own a newer model of ranger and it is great driving it, can carry heavy loads, good road handling. However - maintenance is expensive, parts only from Ford, most local mechanics can't fix them. For an old car I would go with Toyota or Isuzu

Prior to the 2007 release the Ranger was based on the Mazda B-series platform.

29 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

maintenance is expensive, parts only from Ford, most local mechanics can't fix them.

I have had a Ranger since February 2016.

The initial servicing from Ford regarding the 3 year warranty, is horses for courses, once out of the warranty period, the usual 15,000kim oil, filter changes are done for half the price at the local mechanic for 2,000 baht. Only ever had to change a hose from radiator to engine and he could do it but would have to wait for part from Ford, as Ford was on the way home and had it in stock, they said come in, 700 odd baht fitted.

Currently have 150,000km's on it and still haven't changed the brakes, need oil change in 1,000km's will get him to have a look again as it's been a year and I am used to the older cars changing brakes far more often, although I know times have changed ????

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have had a Ranger since February 2016.

The initial servicing from Ford regarding the 3 year warranty, is horses for courses, once out of the warranty period, the usual 15,000kim oil, filter changes are done for half the price at the local mechanic for 2,000 baht. Only ever had to change a hose from radiator to engine and he could do it but would have to wait for part from Ford, as Ford was on the way home and had it in stock, they said come in, 700 odd baht fitted.

Currently have 150,000km's on it and still haven't changed the brakes, need oil change in 1,000km's will get him to have a look again as it's been a year and I am used to the older cars changing brakes far more often, although I know times have changed ????

150k km with no change of breaks pads? How do you stop the car? 

I had to change the wires of the reverse sensors twice - over 1000 baht per time. 

A faulty sensor on the radiator hose cost me 1600 baht. Batteries tend to die fast when doing mostly short trips. I'm on my 3rd battery now and have to replace it already - over 4000 baht and can only get the right battery (specs and size) at Ford. 

Change of fan belt and transmission oil - 12000 baht. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Whilst I would have serious doubts about the level of care of this particular vehicle, contrary to what another post states, parts, body and mechanical, are readily available at very reasonable prices for this model Ranger, so why the heck not fix it before sale?? That would have cost a pittance.

I have a 2005 model Ranger, almost identical, and I can say without reservation, whilst it is ultra basic feature-wise, it has been unquestionably the most reliable and overall economic vehicle I have owned in my whole motoring career ... but then, mine was only 8 months old when I bought it and it had a known history. Can you guess why I still have it and have absolutely no intention of selling?

Mine has a load frame too but has rarely been overloaded. I cannot guarantee the same if it has had a Thai owner.

Mazdas are just rebadged Fords (or vice versa if you like). Mazda is 50% owned by Ford, so I'm not sure what is the issue is here. Mine was assembled in Thailand by Ford as were their rebadged sisters of that model, the Mazda fighter.

13 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Batteries tend to die fast when doing mostly short trips. I'm on my 3rd battery now and have to replace it already - over 4000 baht and can only get the right battery (specs and size) at Ford. 

Given you only do short trips maybe the smart charge function is causing your battery issues, Ford techs can turn that off if you ask them.

Assuming your Ranger is newer than 2015 that is.

16 minutes ago, Iamemjay said:

Mazdas are just rebadged Fords (or vice versa if you like). Mazda is 50% owned by Ford, so I'm not sure what is the issue is here. Mine was assembled in Thailand by Ford as were their rebadged sisters of that model, the Mazda fighter.

Mazda is not 50% owned by Ford, the most Ford ever owned was 33% and they parted ways about 5 years ago.

They still co-own the Auto alliance facility though.

Edited by Don Mega

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Given you only do short trips maybe the smart charge function is causing your battery issues, Ford techs can turn that off if you ask them.

Assuming your Ranger is newer than 2015 that is.

5 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Check with the dealer, google tells me some PX1 models did have smart charge as well.

I thought it was introduced in the PX2 facelift but in South Africa their PX1 has it.

Edited by Don Mega

26 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

150k km with no change of breaks pads? How do you stop the car? 

I had to change the wires of the reverse sensors twice - over 1000 baht per time. 

A faulty sensor on the radiator hose cost me 1600 baht. Batteries tend to die fast when doing mostly short trips. I'm on my 3rd battery now and have to replace it already - over 4000 baht and can only get the right battery (specs and size) at Ford. 

Change of fan belt and transmission oil - 12000 baht. 

I use my gears and as I live in the bush, only brake when I have to stop.

Yes one battery change at 3 years with Ford, about 3,800 baht as they have the code which you need when changing the battery, and the price was pretty much the same as outside.

Tyres replaced at 90,000 kilometres, all four fitted and balanced, same as before Bridgestones 18,000 baht, no 5% charge on my debit card, although had to argue with the guy in a nice way, i.e. it would be a deal breaker ????

How old is your Ford to warrant am oil transmission change ?

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Check with the dealer, google tells me some PX1 models did have smart charge as well.

I thought it was introduced in the PX2 facelift but in South Africa their PX1 has it.

At the moment I'm slow charging the battery about once a week, usually overnight or even 24 hours. But seems that its not enough as the auto transmission is playing up and I read on several sites that bad battery can have bad influence on the transmission as well as on the engine performance

1 minute ago, LukKrueng said:

At the moment I'm slow charging the battery about once a week, usually overnight or even 24 hours. But seems that its not enough as the auto transmission is playing up and I read on several sites that bad battery can have bad influence on the transmission as well as on the engine performance

Yes, modern vehicle full of computers and other electrical gadgets require a healthy battery.

The smart charge turns off the alternator and only turns on to maintain "supposedly" an optimal level charge.. this however has proven to be unreliable and will let the battery fall to lower levels.

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I use my gears and as I live in the bush, only brake when I have to stop.

Yes one battery change at 3 years with Ford, about 3,800 baht as they have the code which you need when changing the battery, and the price was pretty much the same as outside.

Tyres replaced at 90,000 kilometres, all four fitted and balanced, same as before Bridgestones 18,000 baht, no 5% charge on my debit card, although had to argue with the guy in a nice way, i.e. it would be a deal breaker ????

How old is your Ford to warrant am oil transmission change ?

I have just over 200k km on the odometer. According to Ford oil has to be changed at 100k, but they didn't change mine as I didn't instruct them ????

So changed it at around 180k

• Thanks 1