Ford Ranger used buy or not buy

Just now, LukKrueng said:

I have just over 200k km on the odometer. According to Ford oil has to be changed at 100k, but they didn't change mine as I didn't instruct them ????

So changed it at around 180k

And you say you have transmission issues... maybe they are not battery related after all !!

Just now, Don Mega said:

Yes, modern vehicle full of computers and other electrical gadgets require a healthy battery.

The smart charge turns off the alternator and only turns on to maintain "supposedly" an optimal level charge.. this however has proven to be unreliable and will let the battery fall to lower levels.

I'll try to check if I have the smart charge thing, but I think I'll still have to replace the battery. The transmission get confused between 1st and 2nd gear and kicks bad when it changes. In the last couple of weeks it got locked on 2nd few times. I had to turn off the engine, open and close the door in order to reset the computer..

32 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

So changed it at around 180k

I think I will tell the local mechanic to change the transmission oil in the next 1,000 kilometres when he does the engine oil and is looking at the brakes, best to get it out of the way, unless I tell him write it on the next due oil change ticket at 165,000 kilometres, will see what he says.

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

And you say you have transmission issues... maybe they are not battery related after all !!

That's a possibility, but without naming and shaming I have to say that the Ford staff where I go to regularly are not very knowledgeable...

1 minute ago, LukKrueng said:

That's a possibility, but without naming and shaming I have to say that the Ford staff where I go to regularly are not very knowledgeable...

Knowledgeable you say, obviously not Ford Top Car in Pattaya !!

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I think I will tell the local mechanic to change the transmission oil in the next 1,000 kilometres when he does the engine oil and is looking at the brakes, best to get it out of the way, unless I tell him write it on the next due oil change ticket at 165,000 kilometres, will see what he says.

Local mechanic as in not a Ford service place? I asked around at places like cockpit and bquick and all said only Ford can do that. But maybe due to it being auto transmission

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Local mechanic as in not a Ford service place? I asked around at places like cockpit and bquick and all said only Ford can do that. But maybe due to it being auto transmission

Most likely because it is a sealed transmission.

What is the service intervals in your manual, found this.

826050760_rangertranny.jpg.b9dcefe3eea1d53e403bd39bec537097.jpg

13 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

The guy I go to is up the road from Ford, he used to be the head mechanic for Toyota and then left opening up his own workshop, got to say he is busier than Ford as when we go around he is always busy whereas for are quiet, that said it costs us half what it costs at Ford for the oil change when compared to what Ford charge, will see what he says about the transmission oil being changed.

All Ford's are built cheaply  depreciate rapidly and cost a fortune to repair. Yet new they are priced the same if not more than the opposition. The only thing they are good for is as a cheap dispensible run around for new drivers

• Sad 1

Im on my 3rd ford now and had no trouble with them the present Everest has done over 150K in 4 years, but have always bought new, If the car has been properly maintained there should be no problem but as in most cases in Thailand maintenance is a word not in the Thai Vocabulary.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

150k km with no change of breaks pads? How do you stop the car? 

I had to change the wires of the reverse sensors twice - over 1000 baht per time. 

A faulty sensor on the radiator hose cost me 1600 baht. Batteries tend to die fast when doing mostly short trips. I'm on my 3rd battery now and have to replace it already - over 4000 baht and can only get the right battery (specs and size) at Ford. 

Change of fan belt and transmission oil - 12000 baht. 

Do not see anything overly expensive on your list!

On 7/5/2020 at 10:27 AM, Don Mega said:

Its actually a Mazda engine (WL-T 2.5) fitted to a rebadged Mazda.

Derived from a Dagenham motor. Anyway, if that's the case, it should be more attractive to the OP. No?

Makes Jack difference to the value.

6 hours ago, alacrity said:

Derived from a Dagenham motor. Anyway, if that's the case, it should be more attractive to the OP. No?

Makes Jack difference to the value.

Whats a Dagenham motor ?

On 7/6/2020 at 9:29 AM, LukKrueng said:

I'm on my 3rd battery now and have to replace it already - over 4000 baht and can only get the right battery (specs and size) at Ford. 

You do not have to use a FoMoCo battery from the dealer. I am on my second Ranger and completely ditched the Ford OEM batteries when they first died, after around 12 months. Have used Boliden and more recently Amaron batteries.

On 7/6/2020 at 9:16 AM, andygrr said:

I wouldn't go near it it is a basic 2 door with high bars fitted in the rear so probably been worked very hard / overloaded. Also very old and you can see some minor damage. 

Maybe the OP wants to haul chooks down the market or move a buffalo or two? Not everyone uses a truck to go to Central at the weekend or pull birds on Beach Road.

9 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Whats a Dagenham motor ?

Ford's legendary engine factory in Dagenham, England.

Ford Dagenham is a major automotive factory located in Dagenham, London, operated by the Ford of Britain subsidiary of Ford Motor Company. The plant opened in 1931 and has produced 10,980,368 cars and more than 39,000,000 engines in its history.[1][2] It covers around 475 acres and has received over £800 million of capital investment since 2000.

Vehicle assembly ceased at the plant in 2002, but it continues as a major production site with capacity to assemble 1.4 million engines a year.[2] In 2008, the plant produced around 1,050,000 engines and was the largest producer of Ford diesel engines globally.[2] It was announced in October 2012 that the stamping plant at Dagenham would close in summer 2013 with the loss of 1,000 jobs.[3] Employment at the plant peaked at around 40,000 workers in 1953.

Following the change to only building engines it now employs around 2,000 people.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Dagenham

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ford's legendary engine factory in Dagenham, England.

Ford Dagenham is a major automotive factory located in Dagenham, London, operated by the Ford of Britain subsidiary of Ford Motor Company. The plant opened in 1931 and has produced 10,980,368 cars and more than 39,000,000 engines in its history.[1][2] It covers around 475 acres and has received over £800 million of capital investment since 2000.

Vehicle assembly ceased at the plant in 2002, but it continues as a major production site with capacity to assemble 1.4 million engines a year.[2] In 2008, the plant produced around 1,050,000 engines and was the largest producer of Ford diesel engines globally.[2] It was announced in October 2012 that the stamping plant at Dagenham would close in summer 2013 with the loss of 1,000 jobs.[3] Employment at the plant peaked at around 40,000 workers in 1953.

Following the change to only building engines it now employs around 2,000 people.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Dagenham

Cool, thanks.

Yeah the 2.5 WL-T engines were made in Mazda Engine plant in Japan... Not Dagenham.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You do not have to use a FoMoCo battery from the dealer. I am on my second Ranger and completely ditched the Ford OEM batteries when they first died, after around 12 months. Have used Boliden and more recently Amaron batteries.

3.2 or 2.2 engine? Same size and specs? 

On 7/7/2020 at 12:44 PM, Don Mega said:

Cool, thanks.

Yeah the 2.5 WL-T engines were made in Mazda Engine plant in Japan... Not Dagenham.

Designed by who exactly?

There's a massive distance between design/proving and manufacture. Take a look at what OEM really is.

Ford removed that motor from their inventory for a reason (it was old and they wanted to proceed with up to date manufacture, at their facility). Then given a different invent number (befitting the change of manufacturer).

Before I came to Thailand, I never owned a truck. Since then I've owned three. All Rangers. After a while and due to it's age, I did my own maintenance/service on the first truck. The second, I traded for a 2016 Wildtrack.

On 7/12/2020 at 8:32 PM, alacrity said:

Designed by who exactly?

There's a massive distance between design/proving and manufacture. Take a look at what OEM really is.

Ford removed that motor from their inventory for a reason (it was old and they wanted to proceed with up to date manufacture, at their facility). Then given a different invent number (befitting the change of manufacturer).

Before I came to Thailand, I never owned a truck. Since then I've owned three. All Rangers. After a while and due to it's age, I did my own maintenance/service on the first truck. The second, I traded for a 2016 Wildtrack.

Mazda have been designing and building diesel engines for many many years.

The Mazda WL-T engines were fitted to the Ranger/Courier and Mazda Fighter/Bravo up until the 2007 update where Ford introduced their duratorq engines.

Edited by Don Mega

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Mazda have been designing and building diesel engines for many many years.

The Mazda WL-T engines were fitted to the Ranger/Courier and Mazda Fighter/Bravo up until the 2007 update where Ford introduced their duratorq engines.

My first Ranger was before 2007. All service parts were FoMoCo kit. Including the gasket set when I rebuilt the motor.

Changing a part number doesn't change the history of the motor. Many joint engineering ventures involve an element of Technology Transfer. Some items then become "licensed products".

Duratorg was fitted to Rangers in 1998.

Next time you see a Mazda, check out how many FoMoCo idents you can see.

Seems Mazda will soon be rebadging GM products.