Ford Ranger used buy or not buy

1 minute ago, alacrity said:

My first Ranger was before 2007. All service parts were FoMoCo kit. Including the gasket set when I rebuilt the motor.

Changing a part number doesn't change the history of the motor. Many joint engineering ventures involve an element of Technology Transfer. Some items then become "licensed products".

Duratorg was fitted to Rangers in 1998.

Next time you see a Mazda, check out how many FoMoCo idents you can see.

Seems Mazda will soon be rebadging GM products.

sorry but I know these cars extremely well so don't believe you on the Pre 2007 stuff.

New Mazda pickup is an Izuzu, what Mazda products are GM ?

23 hours ago, Don Mega said:

sorry but I know these cars extremely well so don't believe you on the Pre 2007 stuff.

New Mazda pickup is an Izuzu, what Mazda products are GM ?

Rangers not a car but a truck. There's significant differences. I actually owned and maintained a pre 2007 Ranger, up until last year.

Durotorq motors date back to the early 1990's. Around the time Dagenham would have been upgrading their facility and ditching old tech stuff. Yet, that old tech stuff was still capable of providing a profit from licensing, or even sale.

Everything but the badge on the new model. Probably significantly more than earlier BT's have in common with the Ford equivalence. 

If I wanted an Isuzu, I'd buy from Isuzu. Not an agent.

Mazda do little more than tweak the design of others. Mostly in aesthetics.

My guess is they didn't like the eco-boost motors and could no longer compete against equivalent Fords.

I'll wait to see if it's got a D-Max badge, or even the same shape.

Edited by alacrity
your spell checker could be improved. As could my typing.

5 minutes ago, alacrity said:

Rangers not a car but a truck. There's significant differences. I actually owned and maintained a pre 2007 Ranger, up until last year.

Durotorq motors date back to the early 1990's.

thats awesome, but the Ranger did not get the duratorq until the 2007 update, prior to that it had the WL-T Mazda engine.

23 hours ago, Don Mega said:

thats awesome, but the Ranger did not get the duratorq until the 2007 update, prior to that it had the WL-T Mazda engine.

So, finally we agree that that the OP's vehicle would have had the Dagenham motor.

Durotorq was a 1990's motor fitted to a lot of Brit vehicles. Including the Ranger (late 90's). Never suggested that the vehicle in the OP's photo was a Durotorq. And never suggested mine was either.

Production of the Dagenham motor was contractually passed to Mazda.

There is no 'DuraTorq' engine as such. Its just Ford branding, introduced around 2000, for various Diesel engines that they used. Most Ford Diesels since about '98 have actually been wholly or partly developed by Peugeot. Pug brand them 'HDi'.  Dagenham made the DLD back then (later branded as a Duratorq) but the biggest capacity was about a 1.8L, so I'm doubtful if it was used in the Ranger. Following the DLD Dagenham made the ZSD 'Puma' (TDCi 16v), also branded Duratorq, and that definitely did go into the Ranger.

I know Rangers prior to around 2006 were actually rebadged Mazda B-series pickups. They used various Mazda and Ford petrol and Diesel engines. The 2.5 and 3.0 'W' Duratorq Diesels are definitely Mazda engines and totally different to the Ford engines.

Mazda only ever manufactured their own designed Diesels (apart from a few Perkins-designed units a long time ago). They certainly used the Ford/PSA engines in many of their vehicles though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 11:30 AM, Don Mega said:

Most likely because it is a sealed transmission.

What is the service intervals in your manual, found this.

826050760_rangertranny.jpg.b9dcefe3eea1d53e403bd39bec537097.jpg

Some updates...

I couldn't find the service intervals manual so all I know is what the mechanic told me - every 100K.

I asked at Ford regarding the "smart charge" - 3 employees didn't know what I was talking about, and when I asked if it was on this model or only newer models they went for the easy answer and replied "oh, only on the newer models"....

I changed the battery (the quote over the phone was cheaper than what I had expected, but of course they didn't tell me they charge x hours of labor......)

Of course it didn't solve the transmission problems, so yesterday I went there again, and for the first time ever, the guy I was talking to said that yes, he encountered this problem with another customer who came back to complain about this problem about a month after transmission oil change, and that it was caused by a faulty sensor in the transmission which costs around 10K THB. He suggested to let a mechanic check the car, so I went for a ride with the mechanic. The mechanic recognized the problem saying it's not a sensor, but actually the solenoids. Replacing the whole plate will take probably 2 days as it entails transmission oil change (again). 

The total cost (official quote) is about 33K THB ????

I told him I complained about this problem BEFORE the last oil change, so why do I have to pay for a second oil change? He said I'll get a 10% discount.......