Amnesty Extension after 31st July - Yes or no?

Amnesty Extension  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's obvious.

Why would Thailand be the first country I know of in the world that would say <deleted> to visitors already there.

It's terrible press if anything. Let's hope it happens soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems by the poll most people thing they will extend the amnesty. It only makes sense imo as it's completely impossible for a lot of people even to return to their home country as their home country has tiny limits on the number of citizens allowed to return.

• Like 1

Dabbling with appointment apps, opening temporary offices, it sure looks like Immigration are planning some change at the end of July which is not just a simple extension of the amnesty. I sincerely hope they do extend as I am due to apply for my marriage extension at the beginning of August and cannot cope with queuing under a tent for many hours at Jomtien!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, lkv said:

The 31st of July deadline was to give people more flexibility to leave.

It was because of immigration offices being totally overwhelmed. Said nothing about leaving, anywhere, when that was just impossible for some people, too insecure for the rest, and infeasible on the whole for such masses for an unforeseeable span of time, as of back then.

• Like 2

If land borders do not open, I can see them copying Laos, and extending tourist visas and visa-exempt entries month by month, but for a fee.  The opening of the 2nd Immigration Office in Bangkok would suggest they are expecting to be busy.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2020 at 10:20 AM, bbi1 said:

Seems by the poll most people thing they will extend the amnesty. It only makes sense imo as it's completely impossible for a lot of people even to return to their home country as their home country has tiny limits on the number of citizens allowed to return.

Just because you can't catch a flight to Australia, it doesn't mean you can't go to for example Europe or the US. There's been flights available for many weeks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They will want money this time if they do..

I’d be very surprised if it’s another FREE three month extension.. it must of killed them that they couldn’t charge all the farangs to extend at 1900 a pop for tourist extensions.

do they wanna cling on to whatever remaining tourism they have left ? And keep people here up until they open the doors to everyone or put the final nail in the coffin for foreigners here.. We shall see.

are we expecting an announcement Mid July or are they gonna do it on let’s say the 29th giving us no time at all to make plans.

Let’s see. 

• Like 2

how can people cannot understand something so easy ?!

it's a clear that they will extend your former visa on which you were allowed in the country when amnesty was decided !

not difficult, really !

But of course you will have to visit immigration and pay the usual fee...

12 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Just because you can't catch a flight to Australia, it doesn't mean you can't go to for example Europe or the US. There's been flights available for many weeks. 

never enough of these stupid opinions that are clearly wrong ?!

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I voted no. I am surprised at the results are so one sided.

There is no medical, scientific or logical reason to extend the amnesty it so maybe I shouldn't be surprised at an extension.

But there are clear evidences that you understand nothing ❤️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

how can people cannot understand something so easy ?!

it's a clear that they will extend your former visa on which you were allowed in the country when amnesty was decided !

not difficult, really !

But of course you will have to visit immigration and pay the usual fee...

Along those lines, possibly. Most peoples' visa, if not "O-A" or work, will have run out for good by 31st for up to 3 months, hence cannot be "extended", but that is a technicality. Could be a temporary special visa type, or maybe they will call it visa exempt, or "O", the "O" in the Non-Imm "O" visa is for "other" reasons anyway and always has been.

4 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

never enough of these stupid opinions that are clearly wrong ?!

Stop being foolish. It is possible to fly bkk to Australia. Also just about any country to your passport. 

Most likely is amnesty will be extended. 

Fall back position would be 30day extensions as per pre covid. 1900 a pop.

1 minute ago, Saradoc1972 said:

Along those lines, possibly. Most peoples' visa, if not "O-A" or work, will have run out for good by 31st for up to 3 months, hence cannot be "extended", but that is a technicality. Could be a temporary special visa type, or maybe they will call it visa exempt, or "O", the "O" in the Non-Imm "O" visa is for "other" reasons anyway and always has been

Tourist visa and visa exempt can not be issued in Thailand. I agree with you in some ways. It would be great if some sensible thing like 6 month available to all for say 1900X6= would be good idea. 

Can't happen

1 minute ago, Saradoc1972 said:

Thailand, but that is it. Would be a daft move to push us all out.
Want 1900 Baht for it? I'm in, would have cost me that any-roads. 

I agree. These next comments are not brag, just fact. I'm on extensions so situation does not apply to me. Fact is even if I was on amnesty stuck here it would be same.

So been on Koh Samed coming up 4 months and also pay my rent condo bkk.

I'm spending 2k+ baht per month. 

If I was on amnesty why send me home.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Saradoc1972 said:

Most everyone still here can afford it; not broke, not working under the table, no pressing commitments at home, wherever that is.

I think most of those still here can afford to stay, and are here because they want to be. However, based on previous experience, I bet there are quite a few people here who have not left because they cannot raise the airfare, and are barely surviving.

59 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

It isn't that easy, for most of us. You don't just "hop countries", just like that. We are not 20-y-o students dragging a little trolley behind them to go studying abroad for a term or two, no commitments, no nothing.

I have been living in Thailand for 6y now, I have no fixed address in Germany, sold my car, cleared out my flat in order to let it...

I absolutely can afford living in Thailand, and not on the cheap, go back to old DE about once a year and shell out the dough for a new shiny Non-Imm "O" ME that will allow me to do border runs or border hops as I please, all within the law without ever having the slightest bit of trouble ever at any border, but I have no money to throw around.

If I had to return to Germany, I would be gone for good. Would have to say goodbye to a lot of stuff I bought over here to furnish my apartment, have to find accommodation back home with a deposit, get a little used car on the cheap (my home city is not suited to walk or bike, way too hilly), and that would work up to a temporary level of borrowing prohibitive to just coming back here if the situation seems to have settled in 6 months or so, to then find myself in a possible 2nd Covid spike or whatever. Too much risk and effort.

Yes, I could catch a flight and go back. I just don't want to, for valid practical reasons. And I want to stay within the law over here, staying.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think most of those still here can afford to stay, and are here because they want to be. However, based on previous experience, I bet there are quite a few people here who have not left because they cannot raise the airfare, and are barely surviving.

Totally agree, just what I was saying, if you had quoted that post of mine in full. I don't envy anyone finding themselves in "a situation" like you mentioned, and I don't doubt for a moment there is a sizable number of them around.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

However, based on previous experience, I bet there are quite a few people here who have not left because they cannot raise the airfare, and are barely surviving.

Did you leave out the word "personal" prior to previous experience?

Never ceases to amaze me why tourists come with little funds. (Tim I know that's not your situation).

Fact is maybe wake up call for many. Never travel without serious back up funds.

• Like 1