Documents required for the 60-day visa to visit family C.M. Immigration

My extension (O-A based on retirement) expires in 6 days on 10 July. I went to C.M. Immigration on Friday to get some reassurance that I don't have to worry too much until the end of the month due to the amnesty. That was a waste of time as the IO couldn't give me a straight answer about whether or not I was good until the end of the month or not. I told her I can't qualify for retirement extension this time so my plan was to get the 60-day visa to visit family and then come the end of September, travel to a neighboring country (Vietnam) and get a new visa based on marriage. She told me that my plan was a huge risk as I many not be able to get back in the country in early October due to COVID-19. That of course has me a little nervous and I've been thinking about that scenario and possible alternatives.

Can anyone say with absolute certainty that I don't have to be concerned until the end of the month? I know there is a long thread about it and some swear that everyone is covered while others say they were told otherwise when they went to their local Immigration office.

I asked what documents I need to get the 60-day visa to "visit family" and instead was given a list of required documents for a one year marriage extension. Could someone tell me which documents I need to prepare?

Thanks very much.

No one knows what the situation will be like come October, let alone what countries will be open by then (other than European ones). I suggest finding a way of extending your stay without leaving the Kingdom.

• Thanks 1

If can meet the requirements to apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage you could apply for one instead of doing it for retirement. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. No need for insurance to apply for it.

If not ready to apply for the extension you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then apply for the extension near the end of.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If can meet the requirements to apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage you could apply for one instead of doing it for retirement. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. No need for insurance to apply for it.

If not ready to apply for the extension you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then apply for the extension near the end of.

It is not yet known what immigration will decide regarding the July 31st amnesty.

I was assuming that someone in my position , holding valid Non 0 multi visa from Savannakhet that expires in September , could get a 60 day extension based on marriage from local immigration without the need for 400, 000 in a Thai bank. My last border bounce entry stamp expired on June 6th.

It will be a real hassle if I have to transfer the money over from the UK to to get a 60 day extension.

Can the extension not be obtained without the 400,000 ?

OP you would be very much the risk taker to not obtain new extension either based on retirement or marriage. 

If it's down to lack of funds use an agent to obtain extension based on retirement.

Do it asap prior to July 10.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Denim said:

Can the extension not be obtained without the 400,000 ?

The financial proof is only required for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage.

No financial proof is needed to apply for a 60 day extension.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The financial proof is only required for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage.

No financial proof is needed to apply for a 60 day extension.

Thanks UJ. That is what I had previously believed but just wanted to confirm.

I had planned to return to the UK in May to chase up some pensions but Thailand is not yet on the UK quarantine exemption list so even that option has its difficulties.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply. Regarding the proof or 40K Baht income for the extension of stay based on marriage, that's not a problem but isn't there some requirement that it be credited to a bank account in Thailand on the same day of the month, same amount?

Joe, could you confirm that in fact everyone is covered under the amnesty and that I have until the end of the month to get a new visa (because Chiang Mai Immigration could not confirm this when my wife and I went on Friday to ask - even though we asked several times).

And is there somewhere where I could look to find out which documents I need to prepare for the 60-day visa to visit family? (C.M. Immigration failed in that regard too).

Thanks for all of your help.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

OP you would be very much the risk taker to not obtain new extension either based on retirement or marriage. 

If it's down to lack of funds use an agent to obtain extension based on retirement.

Do it asap prior to July 10.

I appreciate that. So are you saying that the amnesty date of 31 July does not apply in my case?

12 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Thanks for your reply. Regarding the proof or 40K Baht income for the extension of stay based on marriage, that's not a problem but isn't there some requirement that it be credited to a bank account in Thailand on the same day of the month, same amount?

There is no such requirement. You can have it come in at any time during the month.

Joe, could you confirm that in fact everyone is covered under the amnesty and that I have until the end of the month to get a new visa (because Chiang Mai Immigration could not confirm this when my wife and I went on Friday to ask - even though we asked several times).

You can stay until the 31st but there is no assurance that you could apply for a new extension after you let your current one expires. I have been suggesting people get the 60 extension instead of going on the amnesty if they plan on applying for a extension of stay.

And is there somewhere where I could look to find out which documents I need to prepare for the 60-day visa to visit family?

You need your marriage certificate and a copy of it. Copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

The may also ask for a updated print out of your Kor Ror 2 marriage registry from an Amphoe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no such requirement. You can have it come in at any time during the month.

You can stay until the 31st but there is no assurance that you could apply for a new extension after you let your current one expires. I have been suggesting people get the 60 extension instead of going on the amnesty if they plan on applying for a extension of stay.

You need your marriage certificate and a copy of it. Copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

The may also ask for a updated print out of your Kor Ror 2 marriage registry from an Amphoe.

Thanks Joe, I REALLY appreciate your help. Last question......so your advice is to NOT wait until say the 28th or 29th (amnesty) and apply for the 60-day extension to "visit family" but to go on Friday the 10th (the day my O-A extension expires) and apply for the 60-day "visit family" visa before my current visa runs out on that day?

28 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Thanks Joe, I REALLY appreciate your help. Last question......so your advice is to NOT wait until say the 28th or 29th (amnesty) and apply for the 60-day extension to "visit family" but to go on Friday the 10th (the day my O-A extension expires) and apply for the 60-day "visit family" visa before my current visa runs out on that day?

Best to apply for the 60 day extension on or before the 10th. You can apply early and you will not lose any days.

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2020 at 10:28 AM, ubonjoe said:

Best to apply for the 60 day extension on or before the 10th. You can apply early and you will not lose any days.

Hi Joe,

I went to C.M. Immigration this afternoon to get the 60-day extension to visit family. When I told them I wanted to change from O-A based on retirement to visit family 60-day visa, 4 immigration officials approached my wife and I and told us there was no reason at all to make any changes today and spend 1900 on a 60-day visa today. They told us to go on the Amnesty for now and to come back on the 29th or thereabouts (or if the Amnesty is extended then even better), and get the 60-day visa to visit family then. They said as long as I have never had that visa before, then I could get it when the amnesty ends 100%. That seemed like a good idea. It gives me another 20 days or so to prepare in the event I could come up with 400K to put in the bank for 2 months to get a visa based on marriage or possibly by then or later if amnesty is extended I will be able to travel to Laos and get the marriage visa w/o showing funds.

Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1