Jump to content
BANGKOK
drbeach

Are there still any covid checkpoints anywhere in the country?

Recommended Posts

I know they've been progressively removing them starting all the way back in early May, but what is unclear to me is whether there are still any of these checkpoints left. On a recent YouTube video from a Thai celebrity who drove from Bangkok to Chiang Mai via Sukhothai and Lampang posted on July 4 (unclear when the trip took place, but probably fairly recently) he and his friend encountered one such checkpoint just outside of Chiang Mai city.

 

I have been told by many people who've traveled recently and even as long as a month or 6 weeks ago, they haven't encountered any, but that was for trips south of Chiang Mai and between Bangkok and beach provinces like Rayong.

 

Anyone still encountering them in July? Any website I can check the locations (Thai is fine)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No checks from Surat Thani to Bangkok and to Nong Khai last week.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.  Between June 9th and 30th we drove through 23 provinces in Thailand's south, east and centre.  There was not a single Covid-19 check.  More surprisingly, we didn't see a single police radar speed trap 😀 although we passed a few checkpoints where police or army were doing regular checks on road tax or for security.

 

2.  Even in early May there was very little around in the way of Covid-19 checks where we traveled...  We did Udon Thani to Koh Samui and passed one check in Phetchaburi (temperature only, no questions asked), plus the ferry check from Don Sak to Samui 

 

3.  In all our driving March/April/May/June (more than 10,000km), we only passed through a single full checkpoint, approaching Udon from the east, which we had to pass through several times.  But only a temperature check and a form to say where we were staying and sometimes a phone number

 

4.  I doubt there are any Covid-19 checkpoints left in the country, but even if you do hit one, it's no sweat.  At most, a temperature check and a few questions, and off you go

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why should there be any ? Country is locked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, VirgoSG said:

1.  Between June 9th and 30th we drove through 23 provinces in Thailand's south, east and centre.  There was not a single Covid-19 check.  More surprisingly, we didn't see a single police radar speed trap 😀 although we passed a few checkpoints where police or army were doing regular checks on road tax or for security.

 

2.  Even in early May there was very little around in the way of Covid-19 checks where we traveled...  We did Udon Thani to Koh Samui and passed one check in Phetchaburi (temperature only, no questions asked), plus the ferry check from Don Sak to Samui 

 

3.  In all our driving March/April/May/June (more than 10,000km), we only passed through a single full checkpoint, approaching Udon from the east, which we had to pass through several times.  But only a temperature check and a form to say where we were staying and sometimes a phone number

 

4.  I doubt there are any Covid-19 checkpoints left in the country, but even if you do hit one, it's no sweat.  At most, a temperature check and a few questions, and off you go

Thanks for that comprehensive reply. Even if they're "not a big deal" to some, to me as a libertarian I feel they're an infringement on my civil liberties.

 

I think based on your answers and the show I watched on YouTube, it appears there might have been just one or two left in June (in Chiang Mai) but they have been removed elsewhere.

 

Yesterday I drove from Bangkok to a beach east of Rayong and back using a different road. First time leaving the province since late March. No checkpoints, no police, it was great. Tons of traffic though.

 

BTW I remember reading a Thai language article stating that Bangkok covid checkpoints were removed on April 28 and several other articles confirmed checkpoints in places like Pattaya (which was mentioned on here) were removed starting May 5, but I figured there would still be some left in places. Looks like they have pretty much all been removed for the 5th phase of the re-opening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Thanks for that comprehensive reply. Even if they're "not a big deal" to some, to me as a libertarian I feel they're an infringement on my civil liberties.

Yesterday I drove from Bangkok to a beach east of Rayong and back using a different road. First time leaving the province since late March. No checkpoints, no police, it was great. Tons of traffic though.

Why worry about any checkpoints, they are a way of life over here in Thailand. Maybe there was a lot of traffic because it was a holiday, why on earth did you travel yesterday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jimn said:

Why worry about any checkpoints, they are a way of life over here in Thailand. Maybe there was a lot of traffic because it was a holiday, why on earth did you travel yesterday?

I don't care about normal checkpoints, I care about covid checkpoints. They intimidate me. Fortunately, it appears they are mostly gone by now.

 

Umm...why not, free tolls?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every single store/shop I even has a check point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Every single store/shop I even has a check point.

Not what I asked and not sure what you mean by that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So there is no home quarantine for 14 days on inter-provincial travel anymore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...