Man 'mistaken to be animal' allegedly killed by friend while hunting

rooster59

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Guns are for professionally trained soldiers, not civilians who like to play out being a hero in some kind of war movie.  Unless you are hungry and have to do it to survive, I have never understood the need to murder animals for 'sport'.   Maybe if the animals could shoot back, it would be a different story, then you could watch all these 'mighty hunters' run back to their mama.   

No, I wouldn't run back to mama, I would take a stand. God put animals on earth for us to eat. If you're a vegetarian for good reason, you might have a losing argument. But if you're a meat eater, you've already lost before you began. We don't murder animals for sport. We kill animals for sport and to eat. Is it better that "professionally" trained soldiers kill people? I and other hunters eat what we kill, as well as the people I give some meat to. A deer isn't here to overpopulate and cause problems. It's here to be eaten, just like cows, buffalo, chickens, pigs, game birds, fish and vegetables. I, and others like me, aren't "mighty hunters". We have a sport we enjoy. It helps others and prevents deer (especially) from overpopulating, causing more traffic accidents, disease spreading and destruction of habitat used by other animals as well.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

it's the reflective surface they can see, colour is irrelevant.   Isn't that why these mighty, hunters wear combat kit, or is that just them living out their Vietnam Hero fantasy ? 

Deer can see blues and other short wavelength colors better than we do. You don't have to wear camouflage clothing to hunt deer. Just subdued shades and a broken pattern so it's easier to blend into what you're sitting next to. Washing your hunting clothes with normal detergents doesn't help because of the brighteners used that make clothes take on an  ultraviolet glow. Deer are red/ green color blind. Blaze orange is to protect yourself from other fools that shoot at sounds or movements, kinda like this one did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Deer can see blues and other short wavelength colors better than we do. You don't have to wear camouflage clothing to hunt deer. Just subdued shades and a broken pattern so it's easier to blend into what you're sitting next to. Washing your hunting clothes with normal detergents doesn't help because of the brighteners used that make clothes take on an  ultraviolet glow. Deer are red/ green color blind. Blaze orange is to protect yourself from other fools that shoot at sounds or movements, kinda like this one did.

know your enemy eh? 

Just now, Pilotman said:

If that is the case, why wear all that soldiers gear, why have high powered rifles that can kill at over a mile, why do people like you kill things you are not going to eat, Lions for example, Tigers and all kinds of other endangered species. Yep, those pesky animals are over populating the world and are very destructive; oh of course, that's humans !!  We do a damn sight more destruction and harm than all the animals in the world could ever do. They have as much. if not more right to be around and live out their lives than you and your mates.  

People "like me" kill animals both to eat and for a trophy. To show off the beautiful animal instead of seeing it die from old age and being brought down by wolves, coyotes, bears or disease, including starvation that is a painful, slow death.Others that call themselves hunters kill anything just to show it off, including giraffes, zebras, and lions, (unless they are rogue and man killers). I wouldn't shoot a lion unless it was the latter or after me. Anyone that kills an endangered specie is a dirtbag and not a hunter. These are usually ultra rich who pay to shoot animals in a cage or other non  fair chase ways. They aren't hunters and just shooters. The world is not in the same place it was 100 plus years ago, where deer had a lot of habitat to roam. man's encroachment has destroyed their habitat and they keep having babies, so overpopulation happens a lot now. Hunting is the only legitimate means of keeping these animals within the carrying capacity of the dwindling land. Hunters contribute millions of dollars towards habitat restoration and game wardens so some can't shoot more than the legal limit. I hunt with gun, crossbow and bow, preferring the latter two because you have to get closer to game, which isn't as easy as shooting from a long distance. Any legal means is still okay, because the animals still have to be hunted for the previous reasons.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The suspect said that he had invited his friends to go hunting with him for wild animals. He said that he and his friend were in opposite areas. When he saw something moving among bamboo trees, he thought it was an animal and fired his gun.

Yeah shoot at moving bamboo instead of identifying the prey animal... well you got the wrong trophy this time !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm a hunter and unlike yourself, am educated in game management and carrying capacity of land. Hunting is necessary in areas where game is overpopulating it's habitat, which is most places, mainly because of loss of habitat by greedy land developers who value cash over the earth's resources. If game is allowed to overpopulate, they use up the available resources and end up going into areas they wouldn't normally do. Backyards, highways, and crossing more roads looking for food. This makes opportunities for animal/vehicle collisions, something which in the United States alone, kills over 200 people a year. Also, the meat gained from hunting not only feeds millions of families a year, but a lot is donated to homeless shelters so they can have more to eat. A lot of animals aren't "innocent' like you say. Deer alone kill more than 7 people in the US from attacks. bears, mountain lions and tigers kill over 100 people a year, and elephants 350 or more. Some animals aren't supposed to be hunted, as in Tigers and Elephants in much of their range, but if they are again, allowed to overpopulate, they cause trouble. Thailand doesn't have any legal hunting, and these people were already breaking the law. Several people are killed every year by others mistaking them for deer like game. Thinking a person is a rat is beyond logic. Being drunk or on drugs isn't an excuse. If he said he thought it was a leopard, deer or tiger, which of course are illegal anyway here, it might make more sense. This sounds like an intentional shooting to me.

I would add to this that the most dedicated conservationists who actively support and fund conservation are hunters.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm a hunter and unlike yourself, am educated in game management and carrying capacity of land. Hunting is necessary in areas where game is overpopulating it's habitat, which is most places, mainly because of loss of habitat by greedy land developers who value cash over the earth's resources. If game is allowed to overpopulate, they use up the available resources and end up going into areas they wouldn't normally do. Backyards, highways, and crossing more roads looking for food. This makes opportunities for animal/vehicle collisions, something which in the United States alone, kills over 200 people a year. Also, the meat gained from hunting not only feeds millions of families a year, but a lot is donated to homeless shelters so they can have more to eat. A lot of animals aren't "innocent' like you say. Deer alone kill more than 7 people in the US from attacks. bears, mountain lions and tigers kill over 100 people a year, and elephants 350 or more. Some animals aren't supposed to be hunted, as in Tigers and Elephants in much of their range, but if they are again, allowed to overpopulate, they cause trouble. Thailand doesn't have any legal hunting, and these people were already breaking the law. Several people are killed every year by others mistaking them for deer like game. Thinking a person is a rat is beyond logic. Being drunk or on drugs isn't an excuse. If he said he thought it was a leopard, deer or tiger, which of course are illegal anyway here, it might make more sense. This sounds like an intentional shooting to me.

In practically every village in Thailand, people go out, usually at night around the rice paddies or jungles local to their villages, if their lucky enough to have any, usually at least pi**ed if not on anything stronger and shoot, then eat pretty well anything that moves. this is why, if you go into any jungle within 10 km or so of any village, you're very lucky to see any animal life of any kind apart from lizards, the odd snake and insects, so hunting maybe illegal, but everyone does it...

• Like 1

Just now, zyphodb said:

In practically every village in Thailand, people go out, usually at night around the rice paddies or jungles local to their villages, if their lucky enough to have any, usually at least pi**ed if not on anything stronger and shoot, then eat pretty well anything that moves. this is why, if you go into any jungle within 10 km or so of any village, you're very lucky to see any animal life of any kind apart from lizards, the odd snake and insects, so hunting maybe illegal, but everyone does it...

Which is why there are only deer in the provincial parks, and are probably all nocturnal excepts in the deepest remote sections. You could stock Thailand with a million deer ,and tell them you can shoot 2 a year, and by next week, 95% would  be dead. No conservation whatsoever here, including the lakes, where everything is netted in all but the larger reservoirs. back in the US, where there are stiff fines for taking anything over the legal limit, all the lakes have a good supply of fish, and the deer population increases each year, even though there is habitat loss every year. If the Thai government would regulate things, everyone could have a chance of catching fish and hunting deer, but with the corruption and no caring attitude, that will never happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I agree with much of what you say, even though I think it's wrong to hunt animals for pleasure...

But there is zero excuse for hunting here in Thailand. There are no overpopulation of deer. All large mammals are very rare due to overhunting, even where the habitat could still support large populations of them. 

• Like 2

in Malta, for generations, they get dressed up in their designer  hunting gear and go to shoot Starlings.  Had to laugh when I saw them. For those that are not familiar with Starlings, they about one of the smallest and insignificant little bird you can find anywhere. In fairness, many moons ago,  they did used to eat them.  Also, wild rabbit is a Maltese delicacy and National dish.   

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

Unbelievable, men go off hunting, ohh something moved so he shot it.

What a bloody brain dead individual, first thing you do is make sure you know what it is your going to be shooting, not this clown, bang i shot it, thought it was a rat.

Size of a man, to the size of a rat, big difference.

Well, this happens several hundred times every year in the U.S. It's so common only the local newspapers bother reporting it. It's even more common than police killing unarmed people. Some farmers don't leave their houses until hunting season is over, and, if they have room, put all their cows in the barn. This is one of the reasons I want to ban semi-automatic weapons from civilian use. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, colinneil said:

Unbelievable, men go off hunting, ohh something moved so he shot it.

What a bloody brain dead individual, first thing you do is make sure you know what it is your going to be shooting, not this clown, bang i shot it, thought it was a rat.

Size of a man, to the size of a rat, big difference.

Actually  very believable. Happens in many  "hunting" countries. Being  hyped  up  on drugs  sure  does  not help.

14 hours ago, Aforek said:

It happens every year in western countries ; there are people who have killed their father, brother, or son ... hunting for wild boars for instance ... they see or hear something moving and they shot 

I wonder what happens then, if they go to jail 

yes, that does happen in the USA, but there a hints this is more than an accident.

6 hours ago, Acharn said:

Well, this happens several hundred times every year in the U.S. It's so common only the local newspapers bother reporting it. It's even more common than police killing unarmed people. Some farmers don't leave their houses until hunting season is over, and, if they have room, put all their cows in the barn. This is one of the reasons I want to ban semi-automatic weapons from civilian use. 

absolutely, i was doing some trekking in the US years ago and was baffled when advised to wear luminous orange clothing in the countryside. all became clear when i found out 'hunters' would go out with firearms and simply blast away at any old thing without having any idea of what they are shooting at. bizarre but true. makes thailand seem quite normal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

absolutely, i was doing some trekking in the US years ago and was baffled when advised to wear luminous orange clothing in the countryside. all became clear when i found out 'hunters' would go out with firearms and simply blast away at any old thing without having any idea of what they are shooting at. bizarre but true. makes thailand seem quite normal.

Besides the fact there is more gun crime here than in the US, and that up to 80 die a die here from bad drivers, yes, it's does "seem" normal here.

8 hours ago, samsensam said:

They all think that are in a Vietnam war movie. Many even talk like they are.  Have you listened to the punters in a New York Bar on a Friday night, all trying to sound like Al Pacino in the Godfather, it all sounds, and is, so false. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

They all think that are in a Vietnam war movie. Many even talk like they are.  Have you listened to the punters in a New York Bar on a Friday night, all trying to sound like Al Pacino in the Godfather. 

I'm wondering how much time some spend in the US before they make these assumptions? There are some irresponsible hunters in every country, which makes it look bad for the majority that aren't. When I and most people go hunting, we don't think we're in Apocalypse Now, but out hunting for a deer. A lot of us are looking for specific deer, preferring to shoot only bucks and don't even touch our weapons until we use our binoculars to verify what we see in the woods. Going by what biased things you might hear from other anti hunters (the most uneducated of the lot) doesn't show you the real picture. As far as "punters" in New York bars acting like Al Pacino, how many have you seen do this? When I lived in New Jersey, I spent a lot of time in bars listening to music or searching, and not once did I see anyone acting like actors. I could say the same thing about most from the UK acting like they are in Braveheart, but I'm not that ignorant to assume something so ridiculous. In fact, the UK is on my bucket list, and I would love to go to an old Irish bar and have a glass of local beer and shoot the breeze with some of my fellow Irishmen. (being 1/2)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm wondering how much time some spend in the US before they make these assumptions? There are some irresponsible hunters in every country, which makes it look bad for the majority that aren't. When I and most people go hunting, we don't think we're in Apocalypse Now, but out hunting for a deer. A lot of us are looking for specific deer, preferring to shoot only bucks and don't even touch our weapons until we use our binoculars to verify what we see in the woods. Going by what biased things you might hear from other anti hunters (the most uneducated of the lot) doesn't show you the real picture. As far as "punters" in New York bars acting like Al Pacino, how many have you seen do this? When I lived in New Jersey, I spent a lot of time in bars listening to music or searching, and not once did I see anyone acting like actors. I could say the same thing about most from the UK acting like they are in Braveheart, but I'm not that ignorant to assume something so ridiculous. In fact, the UK is on my bucket list, and I would love to go to an old Irish bar and have a glass of local beer and shoot the breeze with some of my fellow Irishmen. (being 1/2)

Braveheart is Scottish and and Irish isn't British, so I should brush up on your geography before you fork out to go to the the UK. Oh, and we don't allow guns, or hunting, so you can just look and admire the deer, not shoot them. If you want to eat Venison, go to Tesco.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

People "like me" kill animals both to eat and for a trophy. To show off the beautiful animal instead of seeing it die from old age and being brought down by wolves, coyotes, bears or disease, including starvation that is a painful, slow death.Others that call themselves hunters kill anything just to show it off, including giraffes, zebras, and lions, (unless they are rogue and man killers). I wouldn't shoot a lion unless it was the latter or after me. Anyone that kills an endangered specie is a dirtbag and not a hunter. These are usually ultra rich who pay to shoot animals in a cage or other non  fair chase ways. They aren't hunters and just shooters. The world is not in the same place it was 100 plus years ago, where deer had a lot of habitat to roam. man's encroachment has destroyed their habitat and they keep having babies, so overpopulation happens a lot now. Hunting is the only legitimate means of keeping these animals within the carrying capacity of the dwindling land. Hunters contribute millions of dollars towards habitat restoration and game wardens so some can't shoot more than the legal limit. I hunt with gun, crossbow and bow, preferring the latter two because you have to get closer to game, which isn't as easy as shooting from a long distance. Any legal means is still okay, because the animals still have to be hunted for the previous reasons.

Amazing that you do this and think like this yet on another thread you are hardcore religious.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Braveheart is Scottish and and Irish isn't British, so I should brush up on your geography before you fork out to go to the the UK. Oh, and we don't allow guns, or hunting, so you can just look and admire the deer, not shoot them. If you want to eat Venison, go to Tesco.  

I'm fully aware of geography, not only there but everywhere in the world. I said the UK, where Braveheart was about, being in the UK, which is England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. I love when they assume what you do or don't know. And by the way, there is hunting in the UK. Ireland having Sika, red and fallow deer. Scotland having Red Stag, Red Deer, Roebuck and fallow deer, along with game birds. Wales has some of the best Pheasant hunting in the UK, and  England has Roe, Muntjac, Red, Fallow, Chinese water Deer and Sika. The only thing outlawed there has been dog hunting with more than one dog. Yes, I know geography, all the good hunting and fishing spots in every country around the world, as well as points of interest and good places to eat. It's called research, something you might do before assuming. And what Tesco sells venison? Venison is deer meat, if you didn't know, and it had to come from an animal that was killed, like cows, sheep, buffalo, chickens, pigs and the like.

Edited by fredwiggy

3 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Amazing that you do this and think like this yet on another thread you are hardcore religious.

I'm not hardcore religious. In fact, I don't follow anything but Christianity, as a believer. Killing animals God put here for that purpose isn't wrong. In fact, hunting is necessary, as I've mentioned before. Religion doesn't enter that for any reason. All animals have to be kept within the carrying capacity of the land, or just like with humans, overpopulation causes problems.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm fully aware of geography, not only there but everywhere in the world. I said the UK, where Braveheart was about, being in the UK, which is England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. I love when they assume what you do or don't know. And by the way, there is hunting in the UK. Ireland having Sika, red and fallow deer. Scotland having Red Stag, Red Deer, Roebuck and fallow deer, along with game birds. Wales has some of the best Pheasant hunting in the UK, and  England has Roe, Muntjac, Red, Fallow, Chinese water Deer and Sika. The only thing outlawed there has been dog hunting with more than one dog. Yes, I know geography, all the good hunting and fishing spots in every country around the world, as well as points of interest and good places to eat. It's called research, something you might do before assuming. And what Tesco sells venison? Venison is deer meat, if you didn't know, and it had to come from an animal that was killed, like cows, sheep, buffalo, chickens, pigs and the like.

you are a mine of information. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Sujo said:

well we all know about religion.  You can twist it any which way you like to serve yourself. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

you are a mine of information. 

And there was I thinking Freddie was just another self righteous gun nut spouting off trolling a sad news story from Lamphun, somewhere he's probably never set foot in.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm not hardcore religious. In fact, I don't follow anything but Christianity, as a believer. Killing animals God put here for that purpose isn't wrong. In fact, hunting is necessary, as I've mentioned before. Religion doesn't enter that for any reason. All animals have to be kept within the carrying capacity of the land, or just like with humans, overpopulation causes problems.

that isn't at all logical.  if humans weren't around then animals would have more space.  It's the over population of humans that causes the problem, not the other animals. No other animal is as destructive to the Earth as the human.   You must be one of these arrogant religious lot who think that this mythical God of yours created the world just for you and your like.  Sorry to disappoint you, but science and the natural world don't work like that.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1