Alcoholic drinks-makers see red over draft law banning online sale

rooster59

49 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

why ban something you can buy in every 7/11 every 100 yards, or ma and pa store every 50 yards ?

It's pure protectionism.

To ensure the current monopolies are not challenged (Thai Bev, Boonrawd).

To ensure the proper sales channels get their cut (CP Group).

To stop the losses from online sales during the COVID-19 crisis when the trend is to purchase online.

The alcohol retail sector will be hurting badly after the lockdown, it's not only pubs and clubs that will suffer. We've a long way to go yet too... more pain ahead. A second wave and it's all over I reckon...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

What do you mean then ? I my point was that all those alcohol and (soft) drug restrictions are just b.s and bother users that are responsible. I prefer them to go after those that cause trouble when high / drunk. Not those that have pint in a bar and don't do a thing or those blowing a bit and chill out assaulting a mars bar. 

However if any of them drive a car/bike  they should be locked up for years 

To clarify; I would agree with the 'I don't mind.. as long as they don't... which is true in an ideal world, but people don't act to please you, they act to please themselves, so whether you mind or not is immaterial.

Semantics, I know, but there's little point in making a statement that is what the majority of people would like and expect, but which wouldn't happen in reality. For example, if I said I wouldn't mind another beer before lockdown, that's something I can control by shifting my backside of my barstool and ordering another.  

6 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

To clarify; I would agree with the 'I don't mind.. as long as they don't... which is true in an ideal world, but people don't act to please you, they act to please themselves, so whether you mind or not is immaterial.

Semantics, I know, but there's little point in making a statement that is what the majority of people would like and expect, but which wouldn't happen in reality. For example, if I said I wouldn't mind another beer before lockdown, that's something I can control by shifting my backside of my barstool and ordering another.  

That is why there are cops to enforce stuff. By banning alcohol and other stuff its taking the easy way out. I still believe that most users of drugs / alcohol are not doing any harm and just a minority of them cause trouble break the law. 

Just look at the amounts of drugs that get confiscated, then a far larger amount is (in all probability) sold and used. But only a few people get out of line. Same goes for alcohol, just look at how much it is used and only a relative minor amount of people break the laws while drunk.

So let the cops go after those that abuse the substance a total blanket ban is just an easy way out.

Personally I don't drink alcohol if freely available i probably vape some cannabis and enjoy watching a movie and then some great sex. I don't see the point of forbidding stuff like this while the majority of users is ok. It would be like saying people can't use cars as cars are used for accidents. Instead of enforcing traffic laws. 

Just my point. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

why ban something you can buy in every 7/11 every 100 yards, or ma and pa store every 50 yards ?

it is probably more likely this move is to shake out the smaller players
who have been gaining momentum lately but rely mostly on online purchases
as they do not have the production and distribution networks in place like the big boys
they can always allow online sales again once smaller firms go bankrupt or are bought out by the bigger players

AFAIK Craft beer makers are also paying a monthly fine of 10k baht if i recall correctly

• Sad 1

Feel sorry for the wine producers here and places like wine connection that need online sales to survive.... Solution.....have a huge, big,  huge, big, notice on your website that says if alcohol is delivered to your address, the  person that gets the delivery must be of legal age........not that difficult.....why is Thailand so behind the times? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, robblok said:

Personally I don't drink alcohol if freely available i probably vape some cannabis and enjoy watching a movie and then some great sex

So you are telling us you're a law breaking drug user? Vaping and cannabis use/possession a double dip there.

Someone that constantly pontificates on the lack of enforcement of Thai laws on this forum. Lol.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

So you are telling us you're a law breaking drug user? Vaping and cannabis use/possession a double dip there.

Someone that constantly pontificates on the lack of enforcement of Thai laws on this forum. Lol.

Can you read.. if freely available. its not freely available

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

Who will lose out by this action apart from consumers? Small independent brewers and importers and suppliers of foreign beers and wines.

Who will gain? The big brewers, whose profits won't be up to the usual obscene amounts due to the COVID-19 restrictions.

This is yet another example of the Government finding an excuse to help the elite families of Thailand.

Exactly, now you cannot buy what you prefer online, only what is stocked in Thailand by the monopolies !

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It's pure protectionism.

To ensure the current monopolies are not challenged (Thai Bev, Boonrawd).

To ensure the proper sales channels get their cut (CP Group).

That is exactly what it is, and sits next to the ban on marketing (the law on which was apparently drafted by Thai Bev's lawyers before being sent across to whatever constitutes lawmakers in Thailand for a rubber stamp), and the minimum brewing quantities rule designed to keep small brewers out of business but which also keeps the craft expertise in places like Vietnam which is making a fortune from "Thai" craft beers.

I was told, reliably, that the law this big three actually are pushing for is a ban on all imported beers. 

Corruption, pure and simple.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, shinawhat said:

Feel sorry for the wine producers here and places like wine connection that need online sales to survive.... Solution.....have a huge, big,  huge, big, notice on your website that says if alcohol is delivered to your address, the  person that gets the delivery must be of legal age........not that difficult.....why is Thailand so behind the times? 

It's part and parcel of dealing with the Thai bureaucracy unfortunately, and another harsh lesson never to put all of your eggs in one basket.

Always diversify to survive. Don't rely on a single sales channel, always have other avenues for turnover, always think of the worst case scenario. In Thailand, it's hard to foresee events like this but they must be accounted for. As do black swan events like COVID-19.

A fundamental part of an effective marketing plan should be risk assessment and SWOT analysis.

Think about it, those retailers solely relying on online sales just went out of business. One day they are functioning normally, and the next they are breaking the law and can't operate. Madness.

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Like 1

This is one of the all too infrequent infrequent good decisions the Government has made.  The last one I can think of was the pesticide ban.  Nobody needs easier access to alcohol than they have today.  

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

Can you read.. if freely available. its not freely available

Both vaping equipment and weed are freely available but neither are legal.

Hopefully those laws will change in the future but the vaping law in particular, along with this new online alcohol sales law shows the inability of the Thai administration to come up with proper and sensible legislation that benefits the public and encourages a free market.

It may seem like the usual Thai illogical bafflement to the majority of foreigners but it's all down to having the right people on the payroll protecting vested interests to those of us having to deal with it on a daily basis, especially in a business environment. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

I agree, first they should try to compel online buyers to provide ID when making a purchases even though this is not a fool proof and can be manipulated, butt if statistically things don't improve than go in with this law... 

My son has a California state drivers license.  He has never been to the US nor is he American.  It cost him B150.  It’s very authentic looking.  So forget asking for ID, means nothing.  Asking for ID is a charade. 

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Both vaping equipment and weed are freely available but neither are legal.

Hopefully those laws will change in the future but the vaping law in particular, along with this new online alcohol sales law shows the inability of the Thai administration to come up with proper and sensible legislation that benefits the public and encourages a free market.

It may seem like the usual Thai illogical bafflement as usual to the majority of foreigners but it's all down to having the right people on the payroll protecting vested interests to those of us having to deal with it on a daily basis, especially in a business environment. 

My mistake, with freely available i meant legal. Weed stays far to long in the system to risk it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CLS said:

Done the right way it cannot be manipulated. In my home country when buying alcohol online you confirm by accepting the T/C that you are of allowed age. Alcohol is only handed out to you against signature. If the postman/delivery service thinks that you are not old enough, they are entitled to ask for an ID. The same way as you can be asked in a store.

It’s a nice thought but very naive.  This is Thailand after all.

Thailand is mostly anti free competition anyhow and monopolies/cartels are the name of the game here. Nothing different on this one ... as soon as the bloated native corporate monsters are threatened then the government will serve their purposes and strangle innovative competition in this sort of way, plus the finger-wagging killjoy anti-fun squad will be all behind it which these lot in charge currently are fully signed-up members. All you have to ask is who benefits from this ... elite brewing families, follow the money instead of listening to the lame pathetic excuses they come up with.

• Like 1

ring ring

"Hello, I'd like to order 24 cans of your finest imported beer please. My credit card number is ...."

"Thank you for your order, sir. It'll be despatched to you later today."

"Thank you. I'm happy you still take orders by phone and not only online, so you'll still be able to stay in business."

• Like 2