Bangkok hospital's email response to wellness tourism.

AKJeff

I will let the email speak for itself.  But it looks difficult and expensive. 

Greetings from Bangkok hospital!

Bangkok Hospital always welcome you to receive the top medical services in our hospital.  However, to travel to Thailand the patient and attendant (s) must be quarantined for 14 days upon arrival to comply with the protocols of the Department of Disease Control and the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand in the midst of the pandemic of COVID-19. Below is the guideline to contact the government for requesting entry approval to Thailand for treatment.

Before travelling to the Kingdom, there are several concerns that you need to know and have them done as following:

1. Contact your local hospital for COVID-19 test (PCR) and issuing Fit to Fly Certificate stating that you have negative result. This should be issued no more than 72 hours prior to the departure date.
  2. Contact Bangkok Hospital to issue the Acceptance Letter for treatment and Treatment Plan from your attending doctor.
  3. Buy insurance, in an amount at the minimum of 100,000 USD.  You may select:
  • Health Insurance which covers all expenditures of medical treatment while traveling to Thailand. 
  • Travel Insurance, which cover the treatment of COVID-19

An alternative to buying the insurance, you may show your income statement or the other proof of financials to the embassy This will allow the embassy to consider whether or not you have sufficient amount of money to consume during the course of treatment at the hospital without having any financial difficulties.

1. Contact The Ministry of Foreign Affairs that you’re currently living in to issue an important letter address to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand for a special consideration; allowing you to enter the Kingdom in a state of emergency for treatment.
  2. Contact The Royal Thai Embassy in your country to process for entry approval (Documents No.1-4 are required).  Note:  Different countries may require different documents thus it is essential that you contact and confirm with The Royal Thai Embassy that you’re currently living in.
  3. Your final approval to enter into Thailand will be finalized by The Royal Thai Ministry of Defense and Thai Ministry of Public Health.
  4. After receiving approval of entry and booking air ticket, you will send the confirmation of travel date to Bangkok Hospital for admission and transportation arrangement.

Hospital Quarantine:

The patient will be quarantined in Cohort Ward in the hospital for 14 days. One attendant could be quarantined with the patient in a special connected room type.

• The hospital quarantined room rates are special discount as following:
  • 6,000 THB / night for standard room type (patient only)
  • 10,150 THB / night for deluxe room type (with one attendant and 3 meals)
  • 12,850 THB / night for superior room type (with one attendant and 3 meals)
  • 3,000 THB / night for TCH Hospital (single room for outpatient only)
  • The COVID-19 tests will be repeated for both patient and attendant on day 0, 5 and 14 of the quarantine period.  The package price is 13,500 THB for patient and 15,500 THB for one attendant (include DF)
  • During the 14 days of quarantine at Cohort Ward, most of investigations and treatment will be given as an inpatient. ***

Note: The selected room type depends on the patient condition and availability of room on the admission date.

1. The following documents are required to submit to The Thai Ministry of Health prior to 72 hours of patient arrival. Once we receive these documents we will process to contact the government and send the confirmation of admission arrangement to you.

For patient

1. A copy of passport with Visa approval
2. A copy of air ticket
3. Travel Recommendation Letter from Royal Thai Embassy in each country
4. Confirmation letter from Bangkok Hospital
5. Financial statement / Bank account statement
6. Fit to fly certificate (issued within 72 hours before traveling)
7. COVID-19 test (PCR) with negative result
8. Medical Report or Referral Letter from local hospital (stating patient requires further treatment)
9. Health insurance / Travel Insurance (coverage at least 100,000 USD)
10. Treatment plan from Bangkok Hospital

For attendant

1. A copy of passport with Visa approval
2. A copy of air ticket
3. Travel Recommendation Letter from Royal Thai Embassy in each country
4. Affidavit of support (Statement of relationship with patient)
5. Health certificate for general passenger (issued within 72 hours before traveling)
6. COVID-19 test (PCR) with negative result
7. Health insurance / Travel Insurance (coverage at least 100,000 USD)

Note: Make sure that the patient and relatives secure / complete all the documents before confirmation of admission

1. Advance booking with the certified hotels by the Thai Government (state quarantine) is a must; for 14 days of quarantine in the event that the attendance is more than one.

We would offer an affiliated hotel with Bangkok Hospital, MOVENPICK HOTEL & RESORTS.
  • The package price for 15 days of quarantine is 60,300 Thai Baht per person.
  • This price includes 1 night stay at TCH Hospital while waiting for the result of COVID-19 test, 14 days of quarantine in MOVENPICK HOTEL, 3 meals per day, airport pick up and 3 Covid-19 testing. 

What you should expect and comply when arrived at the Kingdom of Thailand:

At Suvarnabhumi Airport

• You must show 1. the Fit to Fly Certificate and Health Certificate stating that you have negative result of COVID-19 (validity within 72 hours prior to the departure date).  2. the approval letter from The Royal Thai Embassy and 3. Health Insurance
  • Reservation confirmation for quarantine 14 days at the Proof-of-Address from the Ministry of Interior has to be provided to the disease control officers
  • You have to download the “AOT Airport of Thailand” mobile application (by scanning the QR Code upon arrival) to record their information and monitor their health signs and symptoms until completing the duration of quarantine or self-monitoring period.
  • Our staff and driver will meet you at the exit door No.10 and take you to Bangkok Hospital.

At Bangkok Hospital

• The patient will be admitted at Bangkok Hospital and stayed with 1 attendant. The attendant who does not stay with the patient will be taken for COVID-19 test and stay at the Transitional Care Hospital (TCH) for 1 night while waiting for the result (in the event that you arrived in the evening hours). He /She will be transferred to Movenpick Hotel on the next day after receiving the result of COVID-19 test.
  • After admission, the treatment plan for the patient must be submitted to the Ministry of Health of Thailand by Bangkok Hospital.
  • The patient and attendant (s) are not allowed to leave the quarantine room until completing the duration of 14 days. 

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, AKJeff said:

Travel Insurance, which cover the treatment of COVID-19

This ^^^

We usually go 2-3 month a year to our home there ( Will of course skip this year)

But I just checked IMG who I usually buy travel insurance from

Regarding any COVID coverage... They say this...basically not available

except for those who were already in destination country by March 27th 2020

Under the terms and conditions of IMG’s international medical products, if coverage for COVID-19 was not already excluded based upon earlier travel warnings issued by the U.S. Department of State, CDC or other applicable U.S. or foreign government authority, any person who purchases coverage on March 27, 2020 or after or has not entered their destination country by March 27, 2020, will not be eligible for benefits directly or indirectly related to COVID-19.

I cannot imagine any other travel insurance will cover COVID explicitly

Would be like trying to buy fire insurance in the middle of a blaze

Edited by meechai
  • Haha 1

Thanks for sharing this.

The Bangkok Hospital letter is very clear and unambiguous about the requirements to enter Thailand during the present covid-times.

And for sure a lot clearer than all other 'official' announcements I have seen on this subject.

I agree this is a detailed list and is a great starting point for someone wanting to try this route.  It does have some ambiguities in it, such as;

"An alternative to buying the insurance, you may show your income statement or the other proof of financials to the embassy This will allow the embassy to consider whether or not you have sufficient amount of money to consume during the course of treatment at the hospital without having any financial difficulties."

Interesting out, I imagine it would need to be quite a large sum of money. ( or a smaller sum to the right person)  I know I am being cynical 

This one also,

Note:  Different countries may require different documents thus it is essential that you contact and confirm with The Royal Thai Embassy that you’re currently living in.

I can understand this but right now the Thai Embassy in Jakarta says they are only letting non-b visas in.  And the consultant in Bali is still closed.

Sorry for the font issues, I am on a phone and can't seem to change it after the quotes. 

I am still hoping they address the retires and their needs/wants.  Many of us have invested millions into Thailand (condos) and have money in Thai banks and they don't seem to think that we should be given a chance to return to our homes before vacationers return to Phuket in August.   With testing and quarantine we should be allowed back in.  But i am just a dirty faran....

I have used the medical facilities in Thailand and my US insurance is good at Bangkok Hospital but I doubt I will spend this much money to return to Thailand.   

• Like 2

I am surprised they are putting the burden onto the patient to arrange everything. There are other hospitals which provide more facilitation than this.

Is there a date on this guidance?

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Is there a date on this guidance?

I got this Email this morning.   Short of my name and some contact information at the hospital it is the whole message.   I don't really think it is private but I removed the contact information for the nurse that sent the email.  If you want it PM me and I will send it to you. 

During my short stay at BKK hospital, we were billed just over 3,000 baht, for a private room, with meals and a mini bar. My wife stayed in my room with me. 

Never let taking advantage of a situation go to waste! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AKJeff said:

1. Contact The Ministry of Foreign Affairs that you’re currently living in to issue an important letter address to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand for a special consideration; allowing you to enter the Kingdom in a state of emergency for treatment

I can hardly think of any moderately developed country allowing you to go to Thailand for emergency treatment. 

That would be an admission from said country that its healthcare system is not able to provide the treatment that you seek in Thailand. 

That would explain why most applicants are from countries such as Laos and Burma. 

3 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

During my short stay at BKK hospital, we were billed just over 3,000 baht, for a private room, with meals and a mini bar. My wife stayed in my room with me. 

Never let taking advantage of a situation go to waste! 

The prices seem like a good money maker for sure.  

My insurance pays for all covid treatment and testing with no deductible.   (a lot of US insurers are waving co-pays for covid)  but i doubt a quarantine at a hospital without treatment would be covered.   But i am thinking of asking them.  I know they totally cover the cost of the testing and treatment so if I had covid when I arrived the quarantine would be free (well prepaid with the premium).

Maybe i can kiss a bat before I return.   

Ironically the insurance Thailand wants you to buy is no where near as good as i have but I think Thailand won't accept it even thought Bangkok Hospital is a plan participant and i have already obtained letters from the insurer that I have covid coverage with no monitary limit valid in Thailand. 

When it's all said and done, an extremely "simple" procedure, making the requirements for a work permit look like a walk in the park! 

By the time the hopeful candidates will have jumped through all the hoops, probably around mid 2021, the virus will be long gone, and all the hurdles to enter Thailand will have been removed... 

1 minute ago, Brunolem said:

When it's all said and done, an extremely "simple" procedure, making the requirements for a work permit look like a walk in the park! 

By the time the hopeful candidates will have jumped through all the hoops, probably around mid 2021, the virus will be long gone, and all the hurdles to enter Thailand will have been removed... 

Probably right.  

I have tried to "contact " the embassy and i got the basic brush off.

But I am board an have noting better to do right now so I am giving it a go.   Also I am not in my home country so I am spending more here than i would in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

You might want to kiss a baht instead... 

It is a sure recipe to bring good luck... 

But if I want the insurance to pay for the quarantine I need bad luck.  Maybe if I can kiss a Baht note that has been sneezed on by someone with Covid-19. 

• Haha 1

Cannot help but think that if you need to go to Thailand for health reasons your insurance policy is going to sky rocket to cover your already known health issues PLUS would any insurer actually cover you knowingly for a foreign country potentially operating on you ? 

1 hour ago, AKJeff said:

I got this Email this morning.   Short of my name and some contact information at the hospital it is the whole message.   I don't really think it is private but I removed the contact information for the nurse that sent the email.  If you want it PM me and I will send it to you. 

I ask because item #4 is out of date. Entries are no longer limited to emergencies. Reads to me like a low level clerk (which is who usually receives emails) sent out an old boilerplate response. Likely they have not yet developed a new one.

Would be worth calling their international dept or else sending another email in a week or two. Calling is always better.

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Cannot help but think that if you need to go to Thailand for health reasons your insurance policy is going to sky rocket to cover your already known health issues PLUS would any insurer actually cover you knowingly for a foreign country potentially operating on you ? 

My insurance policy as with many in the US  is an employment based plan.  It doesn't matter how often it is used the price is the same for everyone.  I have had the same insurance for my entire 30 year career and carried it into retirement.   I have used the insurance in Thailand,  New Zealand, Costa Rica, (they both requested payment from the company for services provided to reimburse the state run health plan) the Czech Republic and more.  Almost all have been minor illnesses or accidents. There is no price increase for someone to use the benefits. 

And i can get an operation anywhere i want.  If there is an agreement between the doctor/hospital and the insurance then they pay an agreed price.   If there isn't one, like the government hospital in Phetchabun,  I pay out of pocket file a claim and they reimburse me the charged amount or the standard amount for like procedure in the US.  That usually mean the whole bill since the US usually cost more.  I do sometimes pay a copay but that varies with the procedure and or how much I have paid already in the year.

The only caveat is is cannot be something like cosmetic surgery or an experimental (unapproved) treatment.   I have never had a claim rejected. 

Hard to imagine that 30.000 people or as later published 1700 people will go through this just to be treated in Thailand.

This explains why most on the list are from middle east. They want to escape the situation there at all cost.

As I already wrote they want your money, but introduce many hurdles at the same time instead of facilitating it.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I ask because item #4 is out of date. Entries are no longer limited to emergencies. Reads to me like a low level clerk (which is who usually receives emails) sent out an old boilerplate response. Likely they have not yet developed a new one.

Would be worth calling their international dept or else sending another email in a week or two. Calling is always better.

I think they are still trying to figure out what the government wants. Not easy, even for the hospitals.

• Like 2