BANGKOK
AKJeff

Bangkok hospital's email response to wellness tourism.

1 hour ago, AKJeff said:

I got this Email this morning.   Short of my name and some contact information at the hospital it is the whole message.   I don't really think it is private but I removed the contact information for the nurse that sent the email.  If you want it PM me and I will send it to you. 

I ask because item #4 is out of date. Entries are no longer limited to emergencies. Reads to me like a low level clerk (which is who usually receives emails) sent out an old boilerplate response. Likely they have not yet developed a new one.

Would be worth calling their international dept or else sending another email in a week or two. Calling is always better.

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Cannot help but think that if you need to go to Thailand for health reasons your insurance policy is going to sky rocket to cover your already known health issues PLUS would any insurer actually cover you knowingly for a foreign country potentially operating on you ? 

My insurance policy as with many in the US  is an employment based plan.  It doesn't matter how often it is used the price is the same for everyone.  I have had the same insurance for my entire 30 year career and carried it into retirement.   I have used the insurance in Thailand,  New Zealand, Costa Rica, (they both requested payment from the company for services provided to reimburse the state run health plan) the Czech Republic and more.  Almost all have been minor illnesses or accidents. There is no price increase for someone to use the benefits. 

And i can get an operation anywhere i want.  If there is an agreement between the doctor/hospital and the insurance then they pay an agreed price.   If there isn't one, like the government hospital in Phetchabun,  I pay out of pocket file a claim and they reimburse me the charged amount or the standard amount for like procedure in the US.  That usually mean the whole bill since the US usually cost more.  I do sometimes pay a copay but that varies with the procedure and or how much I have paid already in the year.

The only caveat is is cannot be something like cosmetic surgery or an experimental (unapproved) treatment.   I have never had a claim rejected. 

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Would be worth calling their international dept or else sending another email in a week or two. Calling is always better.

Good idea

Hard to imagine that 30.000 people or as later published 1700 people will go through this just to be treated in Thailand.

This explains why most on the list are from middle east. They want to escape the situation there at all cost.

As I already wrote they want your money, but introduce many hurdles at the same time instead of facilitating it.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I ask because item #4 is out of date. Entries are no longer limited to emergencies. Reads to me like a low level clerk (which is who usually receives emails) sent out an old boilerplate response. Likely they have not yet developed a new one.

I think they are still trying to figure out what the government wants. Not easy, even for the hospitals.

• Like 2