UK supermarkets may ban Thai coconut products over use of monkeys

rooster59

I saw a couple of videos that showed the way the monkeys were treated. It was pretty sad to see, but hopefully it is only a few of the monkeys that are treated so badly.

Similar to the training and taming of bay elephants.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, petedk said:

I saw a couple of videos that showed the way the monkeys were treated. It was pretty sad to see, but hopefully it is only a few of the monkeys that are treated so badly.

Similar to the training and taming of bay elephants.

Right. Is this mistreatment common practice, or is it a journalist looking for a story and showing one carefully selected case? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

How dare I? Who do you think you are?

Done lots of physically demanding jobs in my time snowflake. Labouring work in the 80's. Not much health and safety there.

Don't believe all that you read in the news either, delicate as you are, it makes you look gullible. 

Nice to see you laughing about slavery

Nobody is talking about physical jobs, I'm talking about slavery, you are conflating the issue 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

What is this obsession that Westerners feel to meddle in everyone else's affairs as though their warmongering gives them moral superiority? The UK is a but a short step behind the US.

But, but, but we know BETTER!!

Evidently..........

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

What is this obsession that Westerners feel to meddle in everyone else's affairs as though their warmongering gives them moral superiority? The UK is a but a short step behind the US.

It's not meddling in anyone's affairs.

It's saying products that exploit animals overseas are not going to be sold at British retailers.

That's a British decision to make and I would imagine the majority of the educated British public will wholeheartedly agree with it.

• Like 1

A post with a link to Bangkok Post has been removed as well as a reply:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

Some troll posts have been removed. 

Edited by metisdead
Clarification of Rule 26

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Let’s just Ban all forms of working then nobody has a reason to moan ????

They won't have to ban working there just won't be the jobs there to do. All will be automated wherever and whenever possible including picking coconuts which is the point of this thread.

Universal basic income in the form of an electronic, traceable payment for everyone and they won't complain stuck in their rooms glued to their electronic devices.

People are being enslaved and they don't realise it.

• Like 1

Monkeys are just the tip of the global iceberg of animal exploitation. Thailand has a lot worse. What about cockfighting, a cruel multi-million dollar "sport" that's still legal? Or elephants, first broken then humiliated by being clad in outsize knickers and forced entertain tourists with phony football games?

And what about all the plight of all those countless thousands of wild animals snatched from their natural habitats and locked away in insanitary, badly run Thai prisons called zoos for the benefit of gawping humans?

I don't even want to imagine what conditions must be like like in Thai slaughterhouses. Just seeing the suffering of pigs and cattle packed like sardines on lorries taking them to meet their maker is more than enough.

Much of the foregoing also applies, of course, to so-called "civilised" Western countries, which claim to love our furry and feathered friends and are home to some of the biggest animal charities in the world. Talk about hypocrisy!

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Next will be meat, as long as it is not from free range animals. I mean, look at all the chicken farms and pig farms without any space for the animals. But hey, that would hurt financially too much I guess. Not only the supermarkets but the customers too. So, they will not do that. But some feel much better banning some coconuts. Now they can go to bed in the evening and tick off the "today I safed the world" bit and have a good and healthy sleep. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brianbighead said:

They should ban all the seafood too. 

A lot of slaves used in the fishing industry.

People with their hands in freezing water all day peeling prawns for pennies

Unfortauntely that's a very simplistic view of the fishing industry in SE Asia

As a buyer, I have audited a lot of processing facilities, farms and boats in SE Asia including Thailand and trust me it's a helluva lot better than it was 10 years ago. Standards are improving all the time.

Outright banning does not work and only increases poverty for those at the bottom of the food chain. IME, It's all about carrot and stick. I constantly educate the players about the pitfalls of poor standards and non-social compliance but more importantly I pay a fair price for the product which allows said players to reinvest and raise standards

One more thing, slavery is prevalent in a lot of product categories, coffee, tea, textiles and sugar for example.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Advocate said:

Thailand's exports of coconut products to the UK are so miniscule it wouldn't make any difference to the coconut industry in Thailand if they ceased. The goods displaced can replace Thai imports of coconut products.

When the British boycott, soon the EU, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand will follow. The end of this industry.

4 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Freezing waters? In Thailand?

Typical a person who does not have an idea. Yes, ice is used on board to keep the fish frozen or so cool, it can be processed. If not, only limited coastal fishing is possible.

1 hour ago, CHdiver said:

Next will be meat, as long as it is not from free range animals. I mean, look at all the chicken farms and pig farms without any space for the animals. But hey, that would hurt financially too much I guess. Not only the supermarkets but the customers too. So, they will not do that. But some feel much better banning some coconuts. Now they can go to bed in the evening and tick off the "today I safed the world" bit and have a good and healthy sleep. 

Why the Thai ( and Brazil ) poultry industry can export so much to Europe ( and the rest of the world)? Simple, because of lower costs. About ZERO animal friendly treatment = reduce costs.

Edited by puipuitom

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

Unfortauntely that's a very simplistic view of the fishing industry in SE Asia

As a buyer, I have audited a lot of processing facilities, farms and boats in SE Asia including Thailand and trust me it's a helluva lot better than it was 10 years ago. Standards are improving all the time.

Outright banning does not work and only increases poverty for those at the bottom of the food chain. IME, It's all about carrot and stick. I constantly educate the players about the pitfalls of poor standards and non-social compliance but more importantly I pay a fair price for the product which allows said players to reinvest and raise standards

One more thing, slavery is prevalent in a lot of product categories, coffee, tea, textiles and sugar for example.

As international buyer of foods, since 1977 from Thailand, 1983 from China, 1995 from Vietnam, I have to agree 100,0% for the time the auditor is there. But WHAT happens, when you are gone ? Remind: Zhe Bozz wants to continue his life style, and wants to improve that. 

Edited by puipuitom

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Much of the foregoing also applies, of course, to so-called "civilised" Western countries, which claim to love our furry and feathered friends and are home to some of the biggest animal charities in the world. Talk about hypocrisy!

The SUPERIOR Westeners treats their animals so astronomically better: pigeons fly a thousand of km to their weffies; the horse races, cross-country, but if a leg breaks, it is killed, with especially the British nobility so much involved: No, that's sport, not maltreatment. The meat industry, the fur breeding; removing calves directly from the mother cow; earlier than the rest hatched chicks that are left to their fate for hours; chase live fish hooks through their mouths; locking breeding sows in cramped cages and we think that's normal ?  I suppose, many of them would prefer the "slave life" of the S.E. Asian monkeys.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

What about the go go dancers who have to slave dance hours on end to just get noticed. This is only not ridiculous if the monkeys are maltreated. 

Before anyone suggests monkey do the job of go go dancers....

20140302T113332.jpg

7 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Just get men to climb the trees and collect them ,oh but make sure they are white men ,or someone will be offended ????

Everyone knows they should use young children to shin up the trees and get the coconuts.  Why they just can't keep to the old traditions I really don't know.

I had a woman screaming at me when I was shooting one day in the Uk , saying how cruel I was , stupid bitch , I was clay pigeon shooting ,she thought they were birds and she not have problem trespassing on my property