UK supermarkets may ban Thai coconut products over use of monkeys

rooster59

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

As international buyer of foods, since 1977 from Thailand, 1983 from China, 1995 from Vietnam, I have to agree 100,0% for the time the auditor is there. But WHAT happens, when you are gone ? Remind: Zhe Bozz wants to continue his life style, and wants to improve that. 

One of the benefits of using reputable facilities as we do is that they get audited A LOT so they don't have much leighway to let standards slip.

Most facilities will have BRC accreditation which goes someway to ensure proper standards are met. We will also require social audits and part of the process is interviewing employess off site (away from management) to get a better understanding of whats going on. Are employess paid on time? Are they paid the required overtime? Are deductions proper? etc

What never gets factored into an audit is TRUST and longevity of the relationship between retailers and client which can go a long way however if a production facility is going to cheat the system then there's only so much we can do!

Edited by Chelseafan

3 hours ago, puipuitom said:

When the British boycott, soon the EU, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand will follow. The end of this industry.

What a lot of nonsense. I'll bet that the UK boycott won't last, and will never happen anyway. Just more virtue signalling from a bunch of perpetually offended snowflakes. 

Thailand doesn't care what the UK thinks anyway. 

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1

i am on koh yao yai now, the neighbor is the 'monkey man' who goes around helping everyone with their coconuts. i see zero signs of mistreatment of the monkeys. what is the specific complaint about monkeys in thailand?

3 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Typical a person who does not have an idea. Yes, ice is used on board to keep the fish frozen or so cool, it can be processed. If not, only limited coastal fishing is possible.

People work in cold storage facilities and factory trawlers the world over. So what? 

4 minutes ago, jaf3 said:

i am on koh yao yai now, the neighbor is the 'monkey man' who goes around helping everyone with their coconuts. i see zero signs of mistreatment of the monkeys. what is the specific complaint about monkeys in thailand?

Exactly. All this fuss is just more virtue signalling nonsense from liberal lefty headbangers who have never done a hard day's work in their entire lives. 

Edited by dbrenn

2 hours ago, Foghorn said:

If they want to stop cruelty start with halal food first ,this is the most cruel way of slaughter 

That won't ever happen...

Still, at least the poor beasts can hear the Koran while they bleed to death.

:sad:

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Now the UK and the brits are trying to look good and use common sense as well as pushing for higher moral standards. The thing is that they lack the ability to see the same pattern in their own society. What about Greyhound Racing? Is that right for the dogs? Are they sure the dogs really like that and they are not pressing them too hard?

While I don't agree with the woman...I dont think it's anything like greyhound racing. The dogs are domesticated animals, bred for that purpose. They are bred in captivity and kept in good conditions. Most are retired to loving homes when too old to race. 

These monkeys are wild animals. They are indeed basically kidnapped from their mothers and then spend the rest of their lives on a leash with zero freedom. 

But I totally agree these British people are total idiots...because the meat they are buying in the shops come from farm animals that are tested far more badly and have worse lives than there coconut picking monkeys. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Now the UK and the brits are trying to look good and use common sense as well as pushing for higher moral standards. The thing is that they lack the ability to see the same pattern in their own society. What about Greyhound Racing? Is that right for the dogs? Are they sure the dogs really like that and they are not pressing them too hard?

not forgetting the fox hunts , but that's different -old chap

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i come from a farming community and can confirm the dogs used to round up the sheep are definitely NOT  paid, they work long hours running around all day and all they get is a bowl of food - which is put on the FLOOR for them to eat out of. disgraceful. i demand action. end dog slavery now!

Somebody please pull down that statue of Shep 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, getithere328 said:

I think you will find its not the "Brits" in general, most of us wont give a monkeys where and how Coconuts get to the supermarket shops

So, you are saying that you do not recognize your government and that they are not representing you as a Brit or the British population?

Monkey Man still comes to collect. An event we look forward too. Monkey is fine loose, but gets like my Dog if you go near his truck. Old Chaps older than Gods Dog and can do 3 Big Changs to 4 Trees.  These Millennial Clowns are real sad  Cluckers.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

So, you are saying that you do not recognize your government and that they are not representing you as a Brit or the British population?

What does the British government have to do with this?

This decision was made independently by the supermarkets in reaction to pressure from animal rights groups. 

Edited by kamma

Maybe time to start a GoFundMe for a scholarship fund for the monkeys, perhaps with an education they could do something other than climbing trees.  Please give generously.

I knew this American guy who had a dog.  He'd take it to the park and then he would throw a stick into the distance and the poor dog had to run and get it and carry it all the way back, so cruel!

Edited by bendejo

It has happened already. Went to Morrissons yesterday (SUnday) with the wife to buy cocnut milk to make Thai curry fpr guest coming for dinner.  The shelf where the A-Roy boxes normally are was empty  with  a little stcker saying that some products have been withdrawn.  Lucky we still had some at home. Now we wll have to find a little gorcery store that will still sell Thai coconot milk and cream .......  will have to visit the Indian and other asian food stores/ No real problem - but inconvenient ...

On 7/5/2020 at 12:23 PM, dbrenn said:

Right. Is this mistreatment common practice, or is it a journalist looking for a story and showing one carefully selected case? 

It was a <deleted> article. They had pictures of the monkeys in cages but it seemed only for transport. It was bashing the cage but they will destroy anything they are given so it just seemed normal behaviour. They picked which brands to boycott because they asked the worker where the coconuts went. I doubt the average worker would know where their product goes. I always have the attitude of not believing anything a Thai person(or others) tells me but their boycott is based on someone telling them who the companies are. 

On 7/5/2020 at 9:50 AM, ftpjtm said:

What effect will this have on the monkey unemployment rate?

I hear it's already sky high in Lopburi.

Now that there is no easy tourist food supply in Lopburi and a monkey has to scrap for it's life amongst hundreds of others for a drinking yogurt https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383863, I bet they would give their monkey nuts for a cushy 7 to 7 job, decent food, a lift to work (post#6) and treated as a member of the family (with a slightly higher standing than the farang son-in-law).