Niece failed to qualify for nursing, what next?

Navy or air force hospitals?

Directorate of Medical Services[edit]

First set up in 1913 in the same year as the Air Force, providing nursing services only, and over the years has gradually expanded. It operates Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital and Royal Thai Air Force Hospital in Bangkok, as well as smaller hospitals at each wing. The directorate has made a teaching agreement with the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University to train students at Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital, accepting about 30 students per academic year.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, damascase said:

Might be slightly off-topic, but out of sheer curiosity: is ‘nursing’ a University study here in Thailand, is it regarded as an academic subject?

University nursing programs are usually affiliated with a local government hospital.  One girl I know got her BS in Nursing at a Bangkok University (not sure which one) then went into a training program at Chulalongkorn Hospital for 2 years.

Edited by dddave

1 hour ago, dddave said:

University nursing programs are usually affiliated with a local government hospital.  One girl I know got her BS in Nursing at a Bangkok University (not sure which one) then went into a training program at Chulalongkorn Hospital for 2 years.

Thanks, but what I do not understand that nursing - apparently - is an academic study In Thailand. It certainly isn’t in my home country.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, damascase said:

Thanks, but what I do not understand that nursing - apparently - is an academic study In Thailand. It certainly isn’t in my home country.

Bachelor of nursing perhaps ?

such a thing exists in my home country so maybe it does here too.

17 minutes ago, damascase said:

It most certainly is in us, uk, nz, aus, canada etc, I am sure aboit the eu.

Assistant nurses may not need university qualifications, and there are different levels involved in nursing but most countries I have worked or lived require a basic college degree in nursing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, damascase said:

Might be slightly off-topic, but out of sheer curiosity: is ‘nursing’ a University study here in Thailand, is it regarded as an academic subject?

nursing can be a uni course in the UK

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

Assistant nurses may not need university qualifications, and there are different levels involved in nursing but most countries I have worked or lived require a basic college degree in nursing.

Yes, I do know about the different levels. I associate universities with academic studies, not with vocational education. In my home country the highest level to study nursing is a vocational college.

16 minutes ago, damascase said:

Yes, I do know about the different levels. I associate universities with academic studies, not with vocational education. In my home country the highest level to study nursing is a vocational college.

My niece is doing nursing at university in the UK.

You'll find that most universities, definitely private ones anyway, will be accepting applications even for a couple of weeks after the semester starts. Competition between universities for 'customers' is fairly intense these days so I'd be really surprised if you couldn't find anywhere that would accept her. 

21 minutes ago, damascase said:

What is your home country?  In the US, it goes all the way up to a masters in nursing and is even offered at prestigious universities such as Johns Hopkins, Yale, University of Pennsylvania etc.  Then, if they wish to become a Nurse Practitioner they can go on for further education.

18 hours ago, notrub said:

My wonderful partner advises me that every university everywhere for every subject is full and even if they were not, it is too late to apply for admission. 

This is not true. For the last few years there have not been enough students applying to universities and seats in all faculties are going empty.  Have a look.

http://www.en.moe.go.th/enMoe2017/index.php/articles/277-thai-universities-struggle-to-keep-up

• Like 1

16 hours ago, damascase said:

It is in the UK, and in many other Western countries.

Whether it should be, of course, is open to discussion!

Ditto my neice. At Udon uni nurses school in Nong Sung they took exams. Top X in exams offered places. My neice wasX+5. There is a second nursing course at the main Udon Uni. Places are reserved by paying a fee. My neice got a place on that. She started monday so not sure if its an option still. 

Drawback is it doesn't qualify for full nursing. More like nursing assistant is the best Mrs E could explain it. Might be worth asking? 

Cheers P. 

16 hours ago, n00dle said:

My daughter has just graduated with a Bachelor of Nursing degree from the University of Sydney. Three-year course.

17 hours ago, damascase said:

Don't know what country you come from but yes it requires an academic nursing degree in Thailand as well as in most Western countries. In America you can become a nurses aide with a 2 year degree but to become a full fledged nurse requires a bachelors degree. Seem logical to me since they have peoples lives in their hands. I wouldn't want some dimwit with barely a HS degree in that realm of responsibility.

A situation like this is crying out for a gap year. My daughter couldn't get what she wanted and went into a related field to do work before starting uni. Don't rush young people - encourage them that there are many years ahead and experience in a wide range of fields bears dividends. 

Rooster

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, notrub said:

Sadly her approach to any/every problem begins with 'impossible' and we go nowhere from there

My wife uses that approach on many things, too. It was especially useful when I told she would have to get a job. "Too old, impossible" She's 39 and looks like 29.  Sorry, I know off topic. Good Luck!!

• Like 1