Niece failed to qualify for nursing, what next?

To the OP, your partner is certainly right in one respect, it is very late in the day.

Unlike the UK, here in Thailand universities hold their own entrance exam. When my niece left school in 2013 we spent about a fortnight running around Thailand for her to sit about 10 entrance exams. Can't remember how many places she was offered, about 6 or 7 varying from pharmaceutical to chemical engineering, but not what she wanted, clinical medicine. Not to be deterred from her ambition she applied to 2 universities in China and was accepted for Sun Yat Sen in Guangzhou. She graduated last June and is now an intern at a hospital in Bangkok preparing for a licence to practice medicine in Thailand.

The exams must have been held in the early part of the year as by this time it was all about travel arrangements to go to China in September.

As suggested, your only option would be to email some universities and see if there is any possibility of taking a late entrance exam or accepting school results, but I wouldn't think the outlook is very bright.

A better bet would be to do some research and get prepared for next year. In the meantime there may be some training courses available that may help with entrance selection.

Some years ago , my  youngest son applied  for a particular course at  our home Uni. Despite  meeting the  exam criteria, he was advised  all positions were taken. A Tutor advised him to enrol in a less popular subject/course, with fewer applicants, then, at the first semester break,usually  after the first 6 months, when many first year students drop out, transfer into his preferred course, as there are always  vacancies then.  He did that. An extra 6 months of study in another field didnt hurt, and saved a year wasted till the following  intake.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Some do, some don't.

Rajabat, usually just require the course fee.

That may well depend on the subject the student is looking for, we only went to universities that could offer clinical medicine.

I would think that the OP is also looking for a Faculty of Medicine.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

That may well depend on the subject the student is looking for, we only went to universities that could offer clinical medicine.

I would think that the OP is also looking for a Faculty of Medicine.

You need 'connections' or a load of money to get into Medicine.

Same as in the west, probably everywhere.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

not in France, not in Germany, not in Switzerland... you just need very good grades. can't tell about other countries

• Like 1

Just now, tgw said:

not in France, not in Germany, not in Switzerland... you just need very good grades. can't tell about other countries

Do you just 'think' that or have you actually applied?

Because I used to 'think' that, until my Brit daughter wanted to be a doctor.

Oddly enough in the UK, it's predicted grades (by your teacher) that gets you competitive university places.

But I suspect you don't actually know anything about the process, and will argue about the 'fairness' of the western system.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Do you just 'think' that or have you actually applied?

Because I used to 'think' that, until my Brit daughter wanted to be a doctor.

Oddly enough in the UK, it's predicted grades (by your teacher) that gets you competitive university places.

But I suspect you don't actually know anything about the process, and will argue about the 'fairness' of the western system.

wrong - there is no "western system", there are different systems in every country.

I don't know about the UK, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar to the US system, i.e. unfair.

Switzerland, France and Germany have highly competitive uni systems, the best grades are allowed to choose their speciality. my daughter wants neurology.

Just now, tgw said:

Switzerland, France and Germany have highly competitive uni systems,

Well we're in Thailand, and nursing is a fairly low-level job with extremely poor wages.

I wouldn't have thought there would be any competition for places.

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Probably helps as the competition is very fierce, but those from an average family with good results can get there, we know a few that have done it.

In 2013 there were about a hundred students went from Thailand to China for medicine, 10 to the same uni as my niece, 1 dropped out, 1 failed and 8 graduated. Not an easy option as not only studying medicine, students have to be fluent in English and Chinese.

When covid broke out my niece was seconded to outpatients to deal with an influx of concerned Chinese tourists in Bangkok, but despite what many seem to think they were not disease ridden, they never came across a case. Think it was about mid March before they had the first case of an infected Thai.

• Like 1

@notrub the approach you describe is pretty standard from my wife also. Impossible,  negative  and pessimistic.  Unless it is someone else the it's easy positive and optimistic lol.

Its indoctrinated into them I think Government schools from a young age.

On 7/6/2020 at 6:01 PM, BritManToo said:

Well we're in Thailand, and nursing is a fairly low-level job with extremely poor wages.

I wouldn't have thought there would be any competition for places.

There are  alot of opportunities for nursing graduates to get full time work here and also to get extra hours. Getting 30-40K a month is not difficult upon graduation. If they become civil servants there are also lots of perks. It's one of the few careers here that also guarantee full time work, aside from doctors. Now compare that to graduates in the humanities, engineering, etc, where there are too many graduates for the jobs available...

31 minutes ago, DavisH said:

There are  alot of opportunities for nursing graduates to get full time work here and also to get extra hours. Getting 30-40K a month is not difficult upon graduation. If they become civil servants there are also lots of perks. It's one of the few careers here that also guarantee full time work, aside from doctors. Now compare that to graduates in the humanities, engineering, etc, where there are too many graduates for the jobs available...

The nurses I met are lucky to get 15k, which is why they work 'sideline'.

Most new nurses are only employed as agency for years, no government perks.

Better off doing 'Political Science' which puts you in line for government jobs.

Edited by BritManToo

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 6:50 PM, BritManToo said:

The nurses I met are lucky to get 15k, which is why they work 'sideline'.

Most new nurses are only employed as agency for years, no government perks.

Better off doing 'Political Science' which puts you in line for government jobs.

As always, it does of course depend, but if they are motivated and not dumb they can make quite some money.

My ex girlfriend is a registered nurse, after graduating (studying at a university) she started with about 20k including free room and transport to work, after about two years when we broke up she was at nearly 30k plus two months bonus at the end of the year.

My current girlfriend is a practical nurse, after studying for one year, and having worked for one year (so at about 20 years old), she was at about 25k per month (but working in operating room, this pays more than other departments). Then she signed up at army nurse, which brought her salary down to half of that, but does of course offer the government perks.

Thank you for your comments and please accept a grovelling apology for not posting replies and an update sooner.  The final application, (of to 3 or 4 schools) , and series of tests was to the Boromarajonani College of Nursing in Nakhon Ractchasima branch in July about the time all this original post and replies started.  She was called in for a second but came in at number 50 on a waiting list of 200 or so other applicants.

I did what some of you suggested regarding looking into other institutions and on line studies.  I am not going to clean my laundry here but my partner is not helpful when it comes to looking for solutions that are not on the straight and narrow.  (You farangs think you know everything!) (It make me happy that I have an usufruct).  So, it was difficult and not very encouraging. I did not think it would be healthy to have a 'gap year' here in rural Isaan, thank you Jane D, as I could easily imagine it being spent in front of the TV or ?. 

Just as I was moving onto the next level of ideas (already went to local tech colleges etc.) a call came from the Boro. college to come for another chat and a test.  Then another call to advise that a decision would be at the end of the month, almost 2 weeks away.  Then another a couple of days later to get a medical and send the results (2 trips to Buriram x 100km ea way, 400 km total).  Sent the stuff and immediately there was another call to buy some clothes and present herself as there was a blessing by a special monk that Saturday.  If this sounds confusing to you I am not surprised.  I too am confused and I was sort of there for it all. 

Here is almost the end of it.  She has been accepted at this college where the fees are about 25K per semester and 4 girls to a room lodging is 450 baht per month, plus food. There are lots of loose ends to tidy up but for the most part it is done and dusted.  Nakhon Rat. is about 100+ km away and there is a bus that goes very near our village on its way to Surin or someplace so that is all good.  A girl in the village went to this same college so there is lots of info available from her too. The biggest immediate problem is that she needs an apple ipad (gen7) and every shop and on line source is sold out.  Not surprising if it is that every new student nurse in the country is told to arrive to class with one in their bag.  She will not be the only one without an ipad to start so we/she will just have to wait.  It is a 4 year course so a few weeks w/o an ipad will be ok i think.

Thanks very very much for your interest and comments.  Until the next time.  Regards, Notrub

• Like 2