Problem setting up transferwise acc on nationwide

I tried to set up a new payee today. I just get "please wait" and the spinning wheel. Dreadfully shoddy from Nationwide when you need to transfer money urgently.

Update: managed to set up TW via the app. Awaiting confirmation of payment.

Edited by Baht Simpson

39 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

I tried to set up a new payee today. I just get "please wait" and the spinning wheel. Dreadfully shoddy from Nationwide when you need to transfer money urgently.

yes the message i got ,after 3 days was that it should be sorted by the 9th ,but you can use the app , i thought it was my account at fault but seems not.

17 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

Hi ,are you living here in Thailand ,and did you just put the app on your Thai mobile ,and just use it,i did not think you could?

I had a bit of difficulty myself today with HSBC. At first I tried to pay transferwise myself using HSBC online accounting. That was a no go for the same reason as the OP. However there were alternative ways to credit transferwise on their own previous page , either using a credit card or HSBC debit card. I tried paying Transferwise using my debit card and the transaction went through ok.

If the OP has a Nationwide debit card he should be able to use this instead of trying to manually pay Transferwise from his online account. The option page looks like this :

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.jpg

I originally tried the manual option but finally succeeded using the debit card option.

Edited by Denim
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

how do you go about setting it up,with nationwide?

You don't have to set up anything with Nationwide. You register the card on the Transferwise app. it's just like making any debit card transaction for goods and services. You don't have to set anything up.

57 minutes ago, trd said:

You don't have to set up anything with Nationwide. You register the card on the Transferwise app. it's just like making any debit card transaction for goods and services. You don't have to set anything up.

thanks ,but i have 3 seperate savings accounts ,its so long since i used my debit card ,not sure which one the money comes out of or doesnt it matter as long as enough is in one of them ?

2 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

thanks ,but i have 3 seperate savings accounts ,its so long since i used my debit card ,not sure which one the money comes out of or doesnt it matter as long as enough is in one of them ?

As long as there is money in the account it will work. The worst that can happen is that the debit card transaction is rejected due to lack of funds. In the transferwise app it will show you whether the transaction was successful or not.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trd said:

As long as there is money in the account it will work. The worst that can happen is that the debit card transaction is rejected due to lack of funds. In the transferwise app it will show you whether the transaction was successful or not.

Just tried ,to use the debit card ,transferwise said sorry this hasnt reached your country yet ,wont let me use it.

2 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Just tried ,to use the debit card ,transferwise said sorry this hasnt reached your country yet ,wont let me use it.

I don't even know what that means. I've been using my Nationwide debit card with Transferwise for the last 3 years.

6 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Best check there is cash in the account the debit card is linked to if you have three accounts.

As a last but more expensive option you could try a credit card.

12 hours ago, trd said:

I don't even know what that means. I've been using my Nationwide debit card with Transferwise for the last 3 years.

There is no problem with my debit card ,its just when i am on transferwise and click use debit card thats the message that comes up.

I just received my new debit card so could see what happens. Using Brave browser and setting up a new payee I get to to check payee screen and it goes grey and the swirly thing goes on for ever. So I switched to Microsoft Edge and can get past the check payee to the confirm and verify using the card reader, went through no problem was able to add a new payee. Note I also use a VPN to the UK for both attempts, but there is certainly an issue with the browsers.

31 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I just received my new debit card so could see what happens. Using Brave browser and setting up a new payee I get to to check payee screen and it goes grey and the swirly thing goes on for ever. So I switched to Microsoft Edge and can get past the check payee to the confirm and verify using the card reader, went through no problem was able to add a new payee. Note I also use a VPN to the UK for both attempts, but there is certainly an issue with the browsers.

i have a new debit card as well just tried with microsoft edge ,just the same cant get past check payee  screen goes grey etc etc .

12 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

i have a new debit card as well just tried with microsoft edge ,just the same cant get past check payee  screen goes grey etc etc .

The problem lies somewhere on your PC, either with over 'helpful' ad blockers/pop-up blockers, AV software, or some issue with you not being in the UK, so no VPN or your VPN being recognised.

On 7/10/2020 at 9:07 PM, bert bloggs said:

I think you're confusing a TransferWise debit card which "hasn't reached your country yet", with using your Nationwide debit card as the means of payment. Under TransferWise How the how do you want to pay? select Debit Card and give Nationwide card details. 

35 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I think you're confusing a TransferWise debit card which "hasn't reached your country yet", with using your Nationwide debit card as the means of payment. Under TransferWise How the how do you want to pay? select Debit Card and give Nationwide card details. 

Thanks ,one thing do you have to inform Nationwide to up the limit on a debit card or can you just go ahead ,also i use avast vpn  ,plus yes i have ad blockers ,even if i have my vpn off ,no problems ever with Nationwide ,this is the first problem i have ever had .

5 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Thanks ,one thing do you have to inform Nationwide to up the limit on a debit card or can you just go ahead ,also i use avast vpn  ,plus yes i have ad blockers ,even if i have my vpn off ,no problems ever with Nationwide ,this is the first problem i have ever had .

I've never tried taking from the debit card so am unsure, but there is a £10,000 limit to transfers. Above £10,000 you have to use CHAPS and pay £20 for the privileged, though sending multiples of 10,000 is OK. 

Out of interest I tried setting up a new account with Firefox but got the infinite spinning thingy, switched to Edge and it works, so it is clearly a browser issue.

55 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I've never tried taking from the debit card so am unsure, but there is a £10,000 limit to transfers. Above £10,000 you have to use CHAPS and pay £20 for the privileged, though sending multiples of 10,000 is OK. 

Out of interest I tried setting up a new account with Firefox but got the infinite spinning thingy, switched to Edge and it works, so it is clearly a browser issue.

tried both  still get the spinning thing.