Travel with Ed visa

Hi everyone, I live in Thailand and I have an Ed visa but I am thinking to go back to Europe for just one month for visit my parents. I don't know yet which month I may go back but I just wanted to ask if is it possible to go and after come back to Thailand again with a flight ticket go and back. Thank you for the answers. Ps.. of course I have to inform my school and immigration as well isn't it?

When you can return is a big unknown at this time. Maybe next month there will more info about entering the country.

You could leave now if you apply for a re-entry permit to keep you extension valid when you return.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When you can return is a big unknown at this time. Maybe next month there will more info about entering the country.

You could leave now if you apply for a re-entry permit to keep you extension valid when you return.

I heard that foreigners with an ed visa can come to Thailand. By the way I still don't know yet when I may go back to visit my family, am just thinking. Thank you for the information

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Is this a seriously a post asking for advice.

If your currently in Thailand do not exit under any circumstance if your intention is ongoing stay in Thailand. 

I live in Thailand since 3 years and I am just thinking to go back to visit my family for a month but of course it will be not now lol. ps.. my intention is to live in Thailand long term and I don't like Europe. I just miss my family nid noi, that's it

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Is this a seriously a post asking for advice.

If your currently in Thailand do not exit under any circumstance if your intention is ongoing stay in Thailand. 

Just as he said.

And OP just read a little bit of info here or anywhere about the nightmare very possibly awaiting you if you exit and want to come back : you may not be able to come back. Or have to provide a ton of requirements, insurance, etc. With flights possibly canceled, ban re-instaured, etc.

Strange asking...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

I heard that foreigners with an ed visa can come to Thailand.

Only for children attending a international school. It appears to be meant for children of people working here.

• Like 1

Does anyone know when I apply when I apply ED Visa from Thai Embassy in my country how many days/weeks before my course officially starts I can come to Thailand? 
I dont mean right now when borders are closed but some day in the future when hopefully things are back to normal.

Ideal for me would be that I come about one month before my school starts. Just trying to figure out to get my ED visa before I even leave or to enter Thailand Visa exempt and month later apply for the ED visa from Malaysia.

9 minutes ago, Trek800 said:

Does anyone know when I apply when I apply ED Visa from Thai Embassy in my country how many days/weeks before my course officially starts I can come to Thailand? 

The visa will valid for entry for 3 months from the day it issued. The 90 day entry you will get starts on the day you enter the country.

You should start your course shortly after your entry the country. If studying a informal school every day you stay in the country shortens the one year of total stay you can get from the visa and 90 day extensions

14 minutes ago, Trek800 said:

Just trying to figure out to get my ED visa before I even leave or to enter Thailand Visa exempt and month later apply for the ED visa from Malaysia.

Dependent on the school you are attending you might be able to a apply for the 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration but you would have to apply within 15 days of arrival visa exempt or apply for the 30 day extension and then apply before there is less than 15 days remaining on it.

At this time I am not sure you will be able to enter the country or even enter a neighboring country to apply for the non-ed visa.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Trek800 said:

I dont mean right now when borders are closed but some day in the future when hopefully things are back to normal.

Ideal for me would be that I come about one month before my school starts. Just trying to figure out to get my ED visa before I even leave or to enter Thailand Visa exempt and month later apply for the ED visa from Malaysia.

Contact your school, they will have all the answers you are looking for.

In general (setting aside covid-issues), those leaving/returning with re-entry permits on ED Visas/extensions are treated poorly by immigraiton upon entry.  

At the least, have a letter from your school explaining your absence, and a contact # for that person whom immigration can speak with - and fly back when they will be available (not a 2AM arrival). 

Personally, I would not even try it.  Better to make your trip home (post-covid issues), with paperwork from the school allowing you to get a new ED-Visa outside the country, and return on that.

16 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

In general (setting aside covid-issues), those leaving/returning with re-entry permits on ED Visas/extensions are treated poorly by immigraiton upon entry.  

At the least, have a letter from your school explaining your absence, and a contact # for that person whom immigration can speak with - and fly back when they will be available (not a 2AM arrival). 

Personally, I would not even try it.  Better to make your trip home (post-covid issues), with paperwork from the school allowing you to get a new ED-Visa outside the country, and return on that.

If it's his first ed visa he will not have problems. Just show the re-entry permit at airport when leaving, and won't have issues when coming back.

If he's one multiple ed visa for several years I agree it's better to avoid.

Edited by Sundown