banks

bill derbyshire

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

Some banks are currently operational and can exchange ' farang ' money as required.

It depends on your location and area. 

All major banks have been operational and many branch offices are also (although some have been closed many have reopened).  Many of the foreign exchange booths have been closed and remain so as there are no tourists to use them - but it has always been possible to change money one place or another - just not as easy from my understanding.

• Like 1

I tried cashing an American government stimulus check at Bangkok bank and was refused. I was spitting nails since I have had an account with them for more than 7 years. First they told me the fees would come to about $35 American and then they told me that I could not access the funds for 2 months. Then they finally said that they wouldn't accept it at all because it was made out to both me and my wife and we didn't have a joint account. I offerred to open a joint account and they said no. Had to send it to my bank in America by way of Fedex. Cost me $40. But it got there in 3 days. I have grown to hate this <deleted> country.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, marcho said:

Why use the Thai banks. You will always get a better rate going to super rich or other good money exchanger

Convenience?  Depending on the amount being changed, a few satang-per-$ advantage may not be here nor there.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

3 hours ago, Kurtf said:

I tried cashing an American government stimulus check at Bangkok bank and was refused. I was spitting nails since I have had an account with them for more than 7 years. First they told me the fees would come to about $35 American and then they told me that I could not access the funds for 2 months. Then they finally said that they wouldn't accept it at all because it was made out to both me and my wife and we didn't have a joint account. I offerred to open a joint account and they said no. Had to send it to my bank in America by way of Fedex. Cost me $40. But it got there in 3 days. I have grown to hate this <deleted> country.

Why should BBL be expected to cash a USD cheque, government issued or not?  All foreign currency cheques have to be deposited and when the funds are cleared you will have access to them, it doesn't necessarily take 2 months, that's just the bank's estimation and the time and process is perfectly normal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kurtf said:

Why would we expect to cash a US check in a foreign country?  Most of the world gave up using them decades ago and in Thailand they are almost never used outside of business to business.  And yes name has always had to match account name and fee involved and wait of 1 or 2 months.  If you expect more checks you might like to find a US bank that allows internet processing rather than hate where you live.

• Like 1

I deposited my stimulus check by mobile app deposit to Wells Fargo in the USA.  A very convenient process.  It took 3 days for them to verify the check validity and make the funds available.

Edited by mojaco
Clarity