Phuket hit-and-run driver surrenders to police

webfact

Phuket hit-and-run driver surrenders to police

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1593931196_1-org.jpg

Ms Yanaphat claimed that she believed she hit a power poll, not a person. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: The driver who fled the scene after killing a Buddhist monk in Chalong on Saturday (July 4) has surrendered herself to police.

Lt Jaruwit Khuncharoen of the Chalong Police revealed that the driver – Ms Yanaphat Sakulboonphanit, 35 – presented herself at the police station at 4:10pm. Ms Yanaphat also brought her Phuket registered Honda Mobilio car with visible damage sustained in the collision.

Ms Yanaphat admitted that she was the person involved in the accident, but said that at that moment she believed she hit a power pole, not a person, and thus did not stop straightaway.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-hit-and-run-driver-surrenders-to-police-76600.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-07-06

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RichCor said:

While I have heard of monks being derogatorily referred to as 'walking traffic cones', how distracted do you have to be to 'believe' you hit a power pole while supposedly driving correctly down the road, and not bother to even stop.

depends how drunk you are

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I am not saying this was the cause , but the amount of drivers I see weaving and crossing hard shoulder and centre lines on the roads because they are trying to text on their phones .

phone use - drunk - speeding - roads layout and planning, my top 4 causes of accidents in Thailand, effective policing and law enforcement (the only effective way to deal with it) is nonexistent 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

but said that at that moment she believed she hit a power pole, not a person, and thus did not stop straightaway.

lame as lame can be excuse... had she hit a pole the car would have stopped or drastically slowed down by the impact since she kept driving she should have worried why she was able to keep driving, impact feeling and noise are different from hitting a pole or a person, maybe she was using the phone, lock her up

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 2

On 7/6/2020 at 7:42 AM, RichCor said:

While I have heard of monks being derogatorily referred to as 'walking traffic cones', how distracted do you have to be to 'believe' you hit a power pole while supposedly driving correctly down the road, and not bother to even stop.

Wait... I wasn't thinking, this is Thailand, they do put power poles in the middle of the road. 

p5-11.png

* 1997 Pattaya 

Because it makes sense to some ?