Thailand is red-lighted in UK for quarantine purposes alongside Brazil, China and US, inexplicable move

webfact

3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

And perhaps the rest of the world sees Thailand as a country with one of the best results. The problem seems to be that UK don´t get that. Of course, there is another explanation. That is that the rest of the world like EU and other organisations like UN and WHO have been totally blinded and fooled by the Thai figures. Now it´s up to the UK that understands everything and sees with clear eyes to take a stand. What do you think seems most credible?

Perhaps, but then the UN and the WHO, themselves paragons of rapid decision making (unaffected by any political influence of course) do not have the authority to enforce quarantine in a third country. As for the EU, or more properly its member states, have they yet made any decisions? Arrangements for travellers from Thailand may be some way down their list of priorities. There again maybe they are just not as nasty as Mr Shapps?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

I just laugh at the sanctamonious idiots running the UK. They made a complete mess of their own lockdown and now think that they actually have it under control. What a load of nonsense. 

So i can visit the UK if i am from Oz or NZ. Last time i looked i didnt see that there was a direct flight from either country to the UK. So at some point the plane must land in the likes of Singapore, LA, Dubai or Doha. What then? 

I thought that. However I am not sure if stopping for 2 or 3 hours and changing flights in one of those countries actually counts. Whilst in transit you are airside and dont actually enter the country. Some clarification is needed.

26 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Maybe the UK policy makers looked at the Thailand DOPH data that was used to write this article?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

Even if we were to take those stats. on face value, 1,700 excess deaths seems quite low as a percentage of population, or expected deaths or by comparison, does it not?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:
5 hours ago, SkyFax said:

My guess it is a matter of reciprocity: UK citizens cannot enter Thailand without a 14-day quarantine if they can enter at all.

Vietnam is on the list and has similar restrictions for foreigners.

True. Maybe this has something to do with it:

"Currently, about 300,000 Britons visit (Vietnam) each year."

November 08, 2019 

https://www.prweek.com/article/1665108/exclusive-vietnam-tourism-books-uk-agency-major-tourism-drive

"British nationals make over one million visits to Thailand every year"

Still current at 6 July 2020

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

9 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Perhaps, but then the UN and the WHO, themselves paragons of rapid decision making (unaffected by any political influence of course) do not have the authority to enforce quarantine in a third country. As for the EU, or more properly its member states, have they yet made any decisions? Arrangements for travellers from Thailand may be some way down their list of priorities. There again maybe they are just not as nasty as Mr Shapps?

Yep, UK is the oracle of knowledge to make the right decisions based on their Covid-19 statistics, of course. Now, when we have that out of the fog, how is your overloaded patriotic gene handling it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, jimn said:

I thought that. However I am not sure if stopping for 2 or 3 hours and changing flights in one of those countries actually counts. Whilst in transit you are airside and dont actually enter the country. Some clarification is needed.

It must count Jimn?? The staff airside would need to be tested every day to be sure. Because the staff airside still circulate in the general population of the country once their shift is over. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

29 Belgium 61,909 +71 9,771   17,091 35,047 32 5,341 843 1,284,605 110,834 11,590,339

Belgium has the highest death toll per 1M of population (843) in the world but get the green light from the UK Government when they had +71 new cases yesterday. I guess they need to get on with Brexit talks. Total nonsense. 

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

Thailand has not tested 99% of its population.

So nobody knows the extent of the virus in Thailand.

The British would have to be fools to let Thais in.

Who wants to go to a country where people day and night moan about everything.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Kadilo said:
5 hours ago, SkyFax said:

My guess it is a matter of reciprocity: UK citizens cannot enter Thailand without a 14-day quarantine if they can enter at all.

If that’s the case how come Greeks can enter U.K. but not vice versa. ? 

Maybe this has something to do with it:

Greek visitors to UK 250,185 (2019) 

https://www.visitbritain.org/markets/greece 

UK visitors to Greece  2,397,169 (2015)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Greece#Arrivals_by_country

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Thailand has not tested 99% of its population.

So nobody knows the extent of the virus in Thailand.

The British would have to be fools to let Thais in.

I disagree on the testing issue. If the virus were alive and kicking in the general population then the hospitals would be full of patients with infections. Either that or Thailand developed herd immunity very quickly. An old lady in my Soi developed respiratory issues a few months ago. Full haz team and medics showed up to check her out. There would be 1000's of ongoing calls if the virus was still very much at large here. Plus Thai social media would be all over it that were the case. 

• Like 2

We have certainly been no Wuhan or New York, where are the sick from covid ? Thailand is not raging with the virus.....how many older farang are on respiration in the hospitals due to virus......exactly why nobody knows but Thailand has been spared, to put Thailand in the red light countries is plainly wrong and ill advised.......it does little to garner good will between the countries when the U.K. should know better........where’s their brains ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mops59 said:

Ofcourse. I was told Thai citizens were welcome in The Netherlands because of an independent decision of.the Dutch government.  It stroke me as  Dutchman that this decision wasn't reciprocated. So Dutch people aren't allowed into Thailand even with a visa, a house to live in and the will to state quarantine. So when UK decides to refuse Thai people without quarantine it is possible because of the decline of Brittisch people entering Thailand with or without quarantine. 

Yes, for sure. It's politicial !
There's no other reason.

6 hours ago, SkyFax said:

They wont be entering at all for the forseeable and there wont be any need for tit for tat here.

I think some are coming around to my opinion that it wont be until 2022 that Brits will be arriving at Suvarnabhumbi again.....leaving aside all the requirements that will red card 98% of Brits the Thais request for documentation involving Doctors and Thai Embassies in the final 72 hours will ensure the final 2% abort....its just not doable in the British Health system

This is entirely linked to the hapless inept incompetent British Government as lockdown was over the day Dominic Cummings went on Safari to Durham castle to check his peepers were all in order

As for Thais into quarantine inbound to UK its clear the UK dont trust the numbers coming out of Thailand. There can be no other reasoning