Thailand is red-lighted in UK for quarantine purposes alongside Brazil, China and US, inexplicable move

webfact

3 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Thailand has excess deaths of just 2% for period 1 Mar - 31 May. 

And you think that is reassuring ? Your argument goes against you.

With approximately 8,000 people dying in Thailand every day, that puts excess deaths at 160 more per day. If we assume that all countries excess deaths are down to covid, Thailand's claim of less than 60 deaths, is in reality near 14,500 deaths ! NOT 58 ! That would be the reason for banning Thais - 14,500 unreported potential covid deaths. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

And you think that is reassuring ? Your argument goes against you.

With approximately 8,000 people dying in Thailand every day, that puts excess deaths at 160 more per day. If we assume that all countries excess deaths are down to covid, Thailand's claim of less than 60 deaths, is in reality near 14,500 deaths ! NOT 58 ! That would be the reason for banning Thais - 14,500 unreported potential covid deaths. 

Excess death calculations based on the first four months of the years, the winter months, the months when the burning season was the worst on record, amidst a population that comprises a massive number of old people.....are meaningless, especially when the base line comprises only four years. Crickey, the burning season alone this year will have caused at least that many extra deaths without even considering the virus.

Edited by Trillian

2 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Most likely yes it would. 

Let me explain..

if more tests were completed and many cases identified this would have likely changed how the population react so to best avoid being a fatality.

Fanciful and wishful thinking at best, especially since the reinfection rates are still unknown.

37 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

There is little point continuing this discussion. You open with the entirely superficial point that the minister in charge of the department which makes such decisions doesn't look like a very nice person - a point which you attempt (and totally fail) to reinforce with a couple of childish jibes at what is a very ordinary English name. When I suggest that there may be other factors in play you fall back on good old fashioned nationalist prejudice, leavened with a touch of abuse (overloaded patriotic genes). At no point have I suggested that the UK has in any way acted from any sort of racially or nationally superior stance. You rather remind of the French castle garrison from Monty Python's knights of the Holy Grail - "Your father was a hamster and your mother smelt of elderberries!" You may not be familiar with it, but look it up, it is readily available on YouTube.

Oh, don´t worry I love Monty Python and are very familiar with them. The fact is that all you wrote above is rubbish, because if you cut all my limbs I am still going to bite you to death with another reply. Was that Python enough for you?

Is this the EU's Tit for a Thailand 14 day quarantine Tat and heartless decision to not let expat retiree in? Or do they know something most true to fact as we all can only speculate that they cooked the books? Or is it a move to alienate Thailand because they sleep too much with china and are essentially backing the Chinese Hong Kong take over?

1 minute ago, smedly said:

how do you know the number of deaths caused by CV-19 ?

since "you" believe the numbers perhaps you would like to explain to us all how deaths are recorded in Thailand and who certifies the cause of death

go ahead and explain it for us all, I already know the answer - you evidently don't

also worth noting that the total death rates in Thailand remain constant these last 5 months even though deaths on the roads were a fraction of the norm - that leaves about 10k a month in a very grey area

"how do you know the number of deaths caused by CV-19"?

Because those are the published numbers which are in line with neighbouring countries and I happen to believe them, it's your prerogative not to, if that's your thing.

The total deaths/excess deaths argument is a red herring, there are far too many variables involved to be able to just cite one part of the argument and arrive at a reliable answer.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Is this the EU's Tit for a Thailand 14 day quarantine Tat and heartless decision to not let expat retiree in? Or do they know something most true to fact as we all can only speculate that they cooked the books? Or is it a move to alienate Thailand because they sleep too much with china and are essentially backing the Chinese Hong Kong take over?

Sorry, but the UK was leaving EU. You know, Brexit and all that. ???? 

7 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Um, I vote for book cooking.

Excess deaths calculation:

average per months of past ten years

+ extra deaths caused by excessively bad burning season

- people not killed in RTA's

+ extra deaths caused by suicides resulting from lockdown

+/- deaths caused by flu season or not

etc etc etc

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They obviously don't trust the Thai government figures provided, test numbers were very low and shady

No its not that, latest research has made it quite clear that the cornholio, as well as giving you mild flu symptons actually turns you into a complete idiot. It's obvious all members of the British government has this virus as do many people around the world, the first symptoms are total loss of critical thinking, a fear of outdoors and other people, a general regression back to a childhood mentality, and a total inability to believe any information that contradicts main stream media.

• Like 2

Why do they want to complain about it? Try to flashback what they actually did to the foreigners in the past term of traveling policy. I would say this COVID-19 is absolutely nonsense and soon many countries will come up with very crazy policies over the people, especially those are traveling. After all, we live in the same planet. 

Without proper testing, it is no wonder Thailand doesn't create credibility among some countries. While most writers appear sceptical on Thai Visa, many have just accepted what they were told about the number of cases. Maybe taking the military's numbers with a pinch of salt will save your life. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Starmocihc said:

It probably has more to do with the Chinese relationship than anything else. ????

Yes, I agree. Also, the impressive ‘figures’ produced will be scrutinised along with a bit of diplomatic gamesmanship. That aside...it is a surprise to the ruling class here.

5 hours ago, Trillian said:

Once again, does doing more tests change the number of deaths!

Maybe deaths due to Covid were not recorded. Rightly or wrongly the official figures for Thailand are not trusted by many countries

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SkyFax said:

My guess it is a matter of reciprocity: UK citizens cannot enter Thailand without a 14-day quarantine if they can enter at all.

I agree and also the fact that people from the UK are required to have 2 covid19 tests and us$ 100,000 health insurance. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Without proper testing, it is no wonder Thailand doesn't create credibility among some countries. While most writers appear sceptical on Thai Visa, many have just accepted what they were told about the number of cases. Maybe taking the military's numbers with a pinch of salt will save your life. 

And you think uk numbers are accurate ??  useless boris did not help nursing homes and let covid go wild in there , uk figures include people who have had a heart attack , cancer etc but when they died they tested positive for covid but died of something else covered up by governments around the world 

6 hours ago, lockyv7 said:

almost the bottom of the list when it comes to testing per million population 

Wny test more when our positivity rate is 0? Whom do you suggest be tested? Daily PUI are published, so we have  rough estimate of testing numbers. Testing rates are low because few people are presenting to hospitals with symptoms. 

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php?fbclid=IwAR0z6KVnHMHL8qImlTGsVIBcoS3C0wi4eKnrOBmj5tSuhvbHZFYv10x9A1o

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Spot on!

Open your eyes, look around you and let what you see sink in.

Conclusion > there simply is no "hidden covid crisis" in Thailand.

Thailand is covid-free.

Or let me add 'as good as', because of course there will be some simpletons arguing that some cases have not been counted (big deal on a population of 70 million), or that there is an Army of asymptomatic virus-spreaders walking around.

It boggles the mind that some don't want to accept this Good News, but insist that everybody in Thailand is still in eminent danger. 

Consider what is currently happening in the US, the virus is being spread by, as you say, an army of asymptomatic virus-spreaders.

The death rate isnt going up and until recently hospital admission rate was not going up. Healthy young people have been spreading it.

The virus has still been spreading, its only through widespread testing that they know about, Otherwise they would think the same a you, no cases at hospitial, it must be over.

• Like 1