BANGKOK
SGD

Advice wanted for 4 new aircon units

I need to replace 3 old units and add a 4th for a new room.

I would like to have the units capable of producing heat as well as cold. Does every inverter do this ?

I can google the difference between single and dual inverter but what does it really mean in the real world ?

Would you go for 4 compressors or the one compressor on a multi split system ? I guess if multi split then we would need to run pipes around the house - maybe not the best idea.

Costs seem to vary enormously - rooms seem to only need 9k to 12k BTU each.

Thanks

"Heat pump" is the term usually used for a unit that can cool and heat usually using a duct system.  You won't get heat out of the split aircon systems found in Thailand whether inverter or not.

Dual inverter is just the evolution of "inverter" technology.  

IMO, multiple small units are preferred over large.  In my case, I comfortably cool over 60m2 with a single 11K BTU Daikin.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Have 4 inverters but there again so much BS about the savings i never bring the subject up.

I have a MSY-GR30VF 30K BTU aircon in my living room set at 22-23 constantly, that replaced a Mitsubishi 18K non-inverter unit that wasn't big enough to cool the space. 

Not only does the larger unit keep the room cool to the set point constantly, it consumes less power (Bill is lower) than using the 18K unit. 

I think the super inverter function is where the savings are coming from IMO. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pineapple01 said:

Have 4 inverters but there again so much BS about the savings i never bring the subject up.

We've just replace with a 12 BTU Haier aircon unit for our downstairs TV room which faces south sun and has a high ceiling, single glass windows, a patio door and single walls, there's some roof shading but it gets hot.

Definitely not idea for Inverter type aircon which they tried to flog us off with. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Why not? They will both run at full motor speeds when hot as balls in a room. Yours will cycle on and off while mine has different motor speeds/loads and doesn’t pay for all that inrush draw yours gets every time it cycles on. 

I was against inverters for a long time but am completely sold on them now. 

Very good long term investment. 

Inverter AC is only economic when the room is insulated if not they will cost more in electricity surely many advisors on Google can't be wrong,  that I got the cool blast version. 

As for long term investment wait until something goes wrong with it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Inverter AC is only economic when the room is insulated if not they will cost more in electricity

Not sure I follow how that’s possible, they will both work just as hard to cool a hot room, but the savings comes in once temps are met. 

Each their own but I’m saving on power using an aircon twice as big. 

• Like 1

Make sure no one sells you an air conditioner that requires the refrigerant that will no longer be allowed in about five years.

• Like 1

I saw some solar air conditioner systems on lazada.  No idea how good they work though.  Seems like a good idea if power goes out on a hot day.

2 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I went with Daikin inverters. My electric bill is 40% less than my old units.

The question should be how much would you actually save with inverter units vs modern conventional?

• Like 1