Advice wanted for 4 new aircon units

SGD

I need to replace 3 old units and add a 4th for a new room.

I would like to have the units capable of producing heat as well as cold. Does every inverter do this ?

I can google the difference between single and dual inverter but what does it really mean in the real world ?

Would you go for 4 compressors or the one compressor on a multi split system ? I guess if multi split then we would need to run pipes around the house - maybe not the best idea.

Costs seem to vary enormously - rooms seem to only need 9k to 12k BTU each.

Thanks

"Heat pump" is the term usually used for a unit that can cool and heat usually using a duct system.  You won't get heat out of the split aircon systems found in Thailand whether inverter or not.

Dual inverter is just the evolution of "inverter" technology.  

IMO, multiple small units are preferred over large.  In my case, I comfortably cool over 60m2 with a single 11K BTU Daikin.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Have 4 inverters but there again so much BS about the savings i never bring the subject up.

I have a MSY-GR30VF 30K BTU aircon in my living room set at 22-23 constantly, that replaced a Mitsubishi 18K non-inverter unit that wasn't big enough to cool the space. 

Not only does the larger unit keep the room cool to the set point constantly, it consumes less power (Bill is lower) than using the 18K unit. 

I think the super inverter function is where the savings are coming from IMO. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pineapple01 said:

Have 4 inverters but there again so much BS about the savings i never bring the subject up.

We've just replace with a 12 BTU Haier aircon unit for our downstairs TV room which faces south sun and has a high ceiling, single glass windows, a patio door and single walls, there's some roof shading but it gets hot.

Definitely not idea for Inverter type aircon which they tried to flog us off with. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Why not? They will both run at full motor speeds when hot as balls in a room. Yours will cycle on and off while mine has different motor speeds/loads and doesn’t pay for all that inrush draw yours gets every time it cycles on. 

I was against inverters for a long time but am completely sold on them now. 

Very good long term investment. 

Inverter AC is only economic when the room is insulated if not they will cost more in electricity surely many advisors on Google can't be wrong,  that I got the cool blast version. 

As for long term investment wait until something goes wrong with it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Inverter AC is only economic when the room is insulated if not they will cost more in electricity

Not sure I follow how that’s possible, they will both work just as hard to cool a hot room, but the savings comes in once temps are met. 

Each their own but I’m saving on power using an aircon twice as big. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I went with Daikin inverters. My electric bill is 40% less than my old units.

The question should be how much would you actually save with inverter units vs modern conventional?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oobar said:

Make sure no one sells you an air conditioner that requires the refrigerant that will no longer be allowed in about five years.

And what is that...at this time there is R22 (old), R32 (new) and another used is 410???

9 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Agree with the above, I dont think ive ever seen an aircon in Thailand with a heat function, much like all the cars they just dont have it. They might be around somewhere but I highly doubt it'll be worth it. 

If heat is a concern then getting space heaters for the times when really necessary, but they are electricity hogs.

IMO the best aircons are Mitsubishi Super Inverters, but pricy. 

Why not put on a jumper ... or extra blanket on the bed ... when its 'cold'

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, thainet said:

And what is that...at this time there is R22 (old), R32 (new) and another used is 410???

Pretty sure the refrigerant isn’t gonna be regulated, it’s the units that are. Meaning you’ll be able to find refrigerant but won’t be able to buy a unit that takes the old stuff. 

Old units eventually die off and renders the old refrigerant useless. 

32 minutes ago, thainet said:

Two HCFC refrigerants are widely used in commercial cooling: R-123 and R-22. R-123 will be phased out for new HVAC equipment on Jan. 1, 2020; it will continue to be produced for servicing equipment until 2030.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

True if the room is insulted or maybe OK if the room is in a good location of the house.

But regardless the air should be sized in such a way that it cycles and meets the required temps, insulation/sunny or not - otherwise you’re spending more than necessary on electricity having the motor run non-stop, causing unnecessary wear and tear. 

I guess if you have an undersized unit and plan on running the motor non-stop then yeah it doesn’t matter, but that kinda defeats the purpose. 

Just now, rwill said:

I saw some solar air conditioner systems on lazada.  No idea how good they work though.  Seems like a good idea if power goes out on a hot day.

good for day night not workunless u buy a big battery system  .

Just buy 4 basic Mitsubishi (inverter, quiet fan on low speed at night) if you don't need any future headache. Dont buy Haier. It is a piece of stupid Chinese noisy junk. My gf bought a Haier while ago. I told her not to buy that junk, but who listen ?!! Because the price was a few k lower ????????????

loud fan and keep changing mode by itself. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Heat pump" is the term usually used for a unit that can cool and heat usually using a duct system.  You won't get heat out of the split aircon systems found in Thailand whether inverter or not.

Sorry not correct. Our Mitsubishi split in our bedroom does have a heat function.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

But regardless the air should be sized in such a way that it cycles and meets the required temps, insulation/sunny or not - otherwise you’re spending more than necessary on electricity having the motor run non-stop, causing unnecessary wear and tear. 

It’s the start, stop cycle that does the damage.

21 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Well, I stand corrected then. Do you know how that works? 

I suspect a heat pump as I haven’t seen any heater bars on the inside of the unit.

its a MSZ-LN09VF or MSZ-LN13VF 

Edited by sometimewoodworker