Meeting health insurance requirements for extending an O-A visa

1 hour ago, Martyp said:

This is my checklist for my next (3rd) application for a 1 year extension of stay of my O-A visa at the immigration office at CW in Bangkok. You didn’t say what immigration office you are using.

1 year extension of stay

2019 checklist

For 2020

• One year of bank statements - may take a week to get these
  • New insurance - timed correctly - talk to Immigration and Pacific Cross about timing

• Copies of passport
    • last stamp of entry Sep 29 page 18
    • 2018 extension/multiple entry page 20 - 2 copies
    • 2018 year extension page - 2 copies 
    • Copies of TM6 - Sept 29 entry from US visit page 15 - 2 copies 
    • Original visa page - 2 copies 
    • identity page - have 2x already 
  • TM7 form - 3 copies
  • Bank statement (3 months), 4 pages - original, 1copy
  • Bank letter verifying account and balance - original, 2 copies 
  • Passport photos - 
  • Print Statement document - (Tod Daniels doc) - 3 copies
  • TM30 - print photo Supreeda sent to me - 3 copies 
  • Hand drawn map of condo location

Additional documents to bring (just in case .. . )

• Photo of me in front of condo and in lobby
  • reading materials
  • stapler, pen, notebook
  • Passport 
  • Bank book 
  • Google map photo 
  • Google satellite map photo
  • recent 90 day report receipt
  • Condo lease

Day of application

• make copies of updated bankbook, name page and transaction
  • 1,900 baht exact change
  • update bankbook - withdraw 1000 baht?

Re-Entry Permit

• TM8
  • 3,800 baht exact change 
  • Copy of passport pages

Hi Martyp,

Thanks for sharing this useful checklist/reminder!

I will insert a slightly amended version of your checklist in the (next update of the) comprehensive Guideline Document I compiled to apply for a Non Imm O retirement Visa and subsequent 1-year extension.

The amendments to your document will consist of

- removing the single reference to the 'insurance' part (not required for a Non Imm O);

- making the checklist universally applicable, by indicating which requirements are mandatory and which are IO-dependant;

- adding a 'disclaimer' to indicate that your local IO might require additional documentation

I will say I've been doing O-A Retirement Extensions of Stay at CW for around dozen years now and only need 1 copy of things like the TM-7 form; not 3 of most everything.   But I will admit I do take along a 2nd copy of various things just in case they ask (which they rarely, rarely ask for) and to keep me from having to run to the copy shop to get another copy.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 9:19 AM, Peter Denis said:

In case you consider the LMG Insurance option (cheapest option to meet the Non Imm O-A retirement extension requirement for health-insurance), just PM me and I will provide you with full details on how to apply for it, including tips/caveats.

Hi Peter, Thank you for the great info on the Health Insurance. I am on an Retirement visa extension of stay due to expire in December so please also PM me your information. I really appreciate your help.

Also I have another Health Insurance obstacle that you (or anyone) may have information about.  I am currently stranded on Bali so I guess I have to come up with 100K USD of Covid-19 insurance to return.  Where to get that insurance or maybe I should wait a month or so and that requirement will be relaxed?  I have emailed the Thai Embassy in Jakarta several times but get no reply.  Also I guess Thailand is in Phase 5 of re-opening and I see the CCSA will allow those on Work Permits to return but am wondering if Phase 5 also includes those of us on a  Non-Imm OA retirement Extension of Stay, maybe you know? They're allowing those seeking Medical Tourism to enter, I need a wrist surgery maybe I should try that. Thanks much in advance!

Edited by JimmerJJ
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, sscc said:

1.   May you please PM me the relevant info also. 

Thank you. 

I want to look at the this info in advance as it is also to my case. 

2.   You mentioned this  200,000 B deductible LMG insurance policy is next to worthless many times. 

At this stage my understanding of this policy is as follows :   ( feel free to point out any error ) 

//  If the hospital bill is   300,000 B.   then policy holder pays 200,000 B,  LMG pays 100,000 B

//  If the hospital bill is   550,000 B.   then policy holder pays 350,000 B,  LMG pays 200,000 B  ( 400K -200K )   

//  If the hospital bill is under 200,000 B,   then policy holder pays full amount.   

BTW,  is this on expense for single case,    or expenses for accumulated cases in one year ?   

Hi sscc,

1 - I just PM-ed you the info on how to apply for the cheap LMG Insurance, including tips & caveats when doing so.

2 - Yes, it is also my understanding that the 200K deductible would be applied as in the cases you describe.

It is also glaringly obvious that this thai IO-approved insurance, is no substitute for REAL health-insurance.  The 400K/40K in-patient/out-patient coverage provided by these thai IO-approved health-insurance policies is ridiculously low.  Real health-insurance should be based on your actual health-care needs and should cover you financially in case of catastrophic accident/illness.

Hence my advice to go for the dead-cheapest thai IO-approved policy (which is the LMG Insurance Plan 1 - with 200K deductible) and use the money saved by taking that throw-away policy, to subscribe to decent health-insurance, be it foreign, international or thai insurance, and regular health-insurance or travel-insurance (which might be a good option, when you are fully covered in your home-country). 

14 hours ago, Aido said:

Hi Peter Denis,

I have an O-A and would like to take out the LMG Insurance Plan 1. Please PM the information to me. Many thanks.

Aido

Hi Aido > Apologies for somewhat belated response (my mail-box is exploding) but the requested info has now been sent to you PM, and you are welcome!

Thanks for all the info Peter Dennis..  My OA  extension is due  mid August. As I am 79 years of age,  I cant get  any insurance. as  we all realise Icant do a border run to change to an O visa, my alternatives at this time appears only to return to Perth, Australia, for which Qatar airlines are offering me a ticket at just over A$6000 one way, BKK/Qatar/Perth,  while Cathay is  m ore generous at A$ 5760 one way, BKK/Hk/Pth...  Can you suggest someway I can   get around this.. I am looking at agents, but with no insurance, who knows..

3 hours ago, JimmerJJ said:

Hi Peter, Thank you for the great info on the Health Insurance. 

1 - I am on an Retirement visa extension of stay due to expire in December so please also PM me your information. I really appreciate your help.

2 - Also I have another Health Insurance obstacle that you (or anyone) may have information about.  I am currently stranded on Bali so I guess I have to come up with 100K USD of Covid-19 insurance to return.  Where to get that insurance or maybe I should wait a month or so and that requirement will be relaxed?  I have emailed the Thai Embassy in Jakarta several times but get no reply.  Also I guess Thailand is in Phase 5 of re-opening and I see the CCSA will allow those on Work Permits to return but am wondering if Phase 5 also includes those of us on a  Non-Imm OA retirement Extension of Stay, maybe you know? They're allowing those seeking Medical Tourism to enter, I need a wrist surgery maybe I should try that. Thanks much in advance!

Hi Jimmer,

1 - I just PM-ed you the requested information on how to apply for the cheap thai IO-approved LMG Insurance, including tips & caveats.

2 - I attached below a link to a thread which provides insight in the conditions/requirements for re-entering Thailand.  The most common reaction to the amount of hurdles that need to be passed at the moment, is that you really need to be desperate to return to Thailand when trying to meet those conditions.  Also it is expected that the present plethora of requirements will be relaxed in the coming weeks.

When you try to re-enter Thailand for medical tourism reasons, you can also get help to meet the entry-requirements by the Hospital where you will be treated.  So that might be your best option if you cannot wait until the requirements will be relaxed (and other categories of visitors will be allowed in).

3 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Thanks for all the info Peter Dennis..  My OA  extension is due  mid August. As I am 79 years of age,  I cant get  any insurance. as  we all realise Icant do a border run to change to an O visa, my alternatives at this time appears only to return to Perth, Australia, for which Qatar airlines are offering me a ticket at just over A$6000 one way, BKK/Qatar/Perth,  while Cathay is  m ore generous at A$ 5760 one way, BKK/Hk/Pth...  Can you suggest someway I can   get around this.. I am looking at agents, but with no insurance, who knows..

If your on an O-A extension you will require insurance. You might want to look at LMG insurance plan.

20 minutes ago, steven100 said:

My OA  extension is due  mid August. As I am 79 years of age,  I cant get  any insurance.

( Quote from poster HAPPYNUFF )

20 minutes ago, steven100 said:

If your on an O-A extension you will require insurance. You might want to look at LMG insurance plan.

I think his age is the issue and the reason for his post.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

HI, and you are correct - when over 75 years of age there is no TGIA-associated insurer that will issue you a thai IO-approved health-insurance policy.

The 'solution' suggested by IOs for retirees in that situation, was either

1- when married to a thai national or having thai dependant children, to apply for the 1-year extension of stay of your original Non Imm O-A Visa for FAMILY reasons.  The requirements are different (a.o. way lower financials to be proved) and NO need for the health-insurance requirement;

OR

2 - to exit Thailand and apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement in a thai embassy/consulate, OR return VisaExempt and apply at your local IO for that Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  And in the last month of that 90-day permission to stay, to apply for the 1-year extension based on that Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  Exactly the same requirements as for an O-A extension, but without the need for that mandatory health-insurance policy.

However, if you are not married to a thai national or do not have thai dependant children, option-1 is not possible for you.  And with the current border-closures also option-2 is not possible.

But there are 3 options for you:

1 - Since it is not possible for you to meet the requirements, your local IO would normally provide leniency and waive the - for you - impossible thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement.  So it would be a matter of visiting your local IO and explaining the situation, but this has to be done before your present permission to stay (Mid August) expires.

2 - There are currently a couple of IOs that do not enforce the thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement.  E.g. the IOs of Phuket and Phang Nga have officially announced that they are not enforcing it at the moment, and they will evaluate that Non-enforcement policy in October.  So, temporary relocating to Phuket or Phang Nga could be an option in case your local IO would not show any leniency in your case.  It would be crazy having to do this, but anything better than having to leave the country with the current border-situations.

Note: It would also be stuff for a nice article in the ThaiGer newspaper exposing the inconsistencies in thai Immigration matters,

3 - By mid August the border-situation might have relaxed, allowing you to do a quick border-run and return VisaExempt, and subsequently apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement at your local IO, followed in the last month of those 90-days with an application for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa.  As mentioned earlier: the conditions/requirements for that 1-year extension of stay based on a Non Imm O Visa are exactly the same as for the 1-year extension of your original Non Imm O-A Visa (but do not require the mandatory health-insurance requirement).  Also since it would be a NEW application you would only need to show 2 months of seasoning of the funds in your personal thai bank-account (instead of 12 months when re-extending your current permission to stay).

• Like 1

Hi Peter Dennis....

I am also hoping that you can also assist me with some guidance based on your experiences.

Like many others I am nearing the point of decision making with regard to the renewing my OA Visa.

I have been living in Thailand for the last 12 years on an OA Visa based on retirement.

I obtained the visa in Australia and it is is due for renewal in September.

In the past I have renewed my visa each year by way of financial requirements at my local IO in Rayong.

Now of course the rules have changed.

I understand that if I am to renew my OA visa I will need to have medical insurance as required.

I have looked at this and agree totally that the best option for me to get by would be to take out the low cost LMG cover...only to comply with Immigration.

However, I do think that in the long run my better option would be to let the OA run down and look to obtain an O Visa.

I should also add that I am now married to a Thai lady.

This is where I am hoping that you can assist.

I note in your earlier message you mention that if you are married to a Thai, there is no need for medical insurance....have I read this correctly..??

I have never heard this before.....but good for me if correct I think.

I was also hoping that you could guide me through the hows amd wheres etc to approach the procees of obtaining an O visa.

Hope that you can assist me with this....there's no rush of course and would greatly appreciate any information that you can give.

Thanks and regards.....

Edited by oldtrafford

5 minutes ago, oldtrafford said:

This is where I am hoping that you can assist.

I note in your earlier message you mention that if you are married to a Thai, there is no need for medical insurance....have

If you apply for extension to non O-A based on marriage to a Thai then medical insurance not required.

• Like 2

If you have an O-A retirement extension of stay and married to a Thai you can switch to a marriage extension of stay on that same O-A "without" the insurance requirement.   

That's what I will be doing in a few months after a dozen years of doing retirement extensions on my 2008 O-A which would require medical insurance to extend again if doing a retirement extension of stay. 

I would have preferred to do a border run without reentry permit to kill off the O-A, reenter on a visa exempt and then immediately begin the process to convert that visa exempt to a Non-O at my local immigration office.  Then during the final month of that 90 day Non-O apply for a retirement extension of stay which would not require insurance. 

But since border runs don't appear to be on the near horizon I will do the marriage extension of stay on my O-A versus my retirement extension of stay.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, oldtrafford said:

Hope that you can assist me with this....there's no rush of course and would greatly appreciate any information that you can give.

Thanks and regards.....

Hi oldtrafford,

I can confirm that the thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement is ONLY required when applying at your local IO for a 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of RETIREMENT.  When applying for reason of MARRIAGE (or any other reason, e.g. dependant thai child, ...) the requirements are different and do NOT require that mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance policy.

You are correct that applying for the cheap LMG Insurance Plan 1 policy is presently the only option to extend your Non Imm O-A based permission to stay (for reason of retirement).  Because with the borders closed it is not possible now to do a quick border-run which is required as first step to switch to a Non Imm O Visa and subsequent extension, which does NOT require the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance.

As requested I have PM-ed you 2 documents

1 - How to apply for the LMG Insurance - practical information, tips & caveats;

2 - A comprehensive guideline document outlining all details/options to apply for the Non Imm O Visa and subsequent extension.

>> In order to access your PM-message just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged-in to the Forum.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 8:19 AM, Peter Denis said:

A foreign insurance policy that meets the IO-requirements (at least 400K/40K for in-patient/out-patient coverage), is ONLY accepted when you apply for the Non Imm O-A (long-stay) Visa in your home-country.

Once in country and applying for the 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement (even if that original Visa dates from yesteryear). ONLY a thai IO-approved insurance policy issued by a TGIA-associated insurer will be accepted ( https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa ).

Content-wise most of these thai IO-approved policies are worthless, so - if you go that road - you might as well opt for the cheapest one, which is the LMG Insurance Plan 1 with a 200K deductible (annual premium of 6.000 THB to 11.400 THB in the age bracket of 51 till 75), with the additional advantage that no medical exam is required when subscribing to that LMG-policy.

Here the link > https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/Products/Pages/Universal-Longstayvisa.aspx

Alternatively you could also switch to a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement and subsequent 1-year extension.  Unfortunately that option is presently not possible, as it requires a border-run (to 'kill' the permission to stay based on your current Non Imm O-A Visa).

However, I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document containing all details/options on doing just that.  That guideline can be used once the borders are open again and the entry-requirements are not too inconvenient with covid-19 measures like mandatory quarantaine or 100K US $ covid-19 insurance.

In case you consider the LMG Insurance option (cheapest option to meet the Non Imm O-A retirement extension requirement for health-insurance), just PM me and I will provide you with full details on how to apply for it, including tips/caveats.

>> In order to access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

Hi @Peter Denis

Can you please share with me the info you have about this insurance company (LMG)? I appreciate it, Thank you.

34 minutes ago, prowler2011 said:

Hi

Can you please share with me the info you have about this insurance company (LMG)? I appreciate it, Thank you.

Hi Prowler > requested info sent PM - and you're welcome.

>> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum.

1 hour ago, ProudHuman said:

How much does the Thai Insurance Premium cost for Non OA Retirement Visa holders. 

Cheapest thai IO-approved health-insurance policy is the LMG Insurance Plan 1 (with 200K deductible) for an annual premium of 6.000 to 11.400 THB in the age bracket of 51 to 75 years.

732644177_LMGinsurance.png.5b5af8ea4aef9b6182a4d8353cd5fdd7.png

PM me for details including tips/caveats if you want to subscribe to that policy.

Edited by Peter Denis

13 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Prowler > requested info sent PM - and you're welcome.

>> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum.

Hi Peter, my extension of stay based on retirement is due for annual renewal in Aug. Could you either PM me with the details of that cheap LM policy, or possibly post them here on this thread, since it’s gotten so much interest?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Hi Peter, my extension of stay based on retirement is due for annual renewal in Aug. Could you either PM me with the details of that cheap LM policy, or possibly post them here on this thread, since it’s gotten so much interest?

Thanks

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1171446-meeting-health-insurance-requirements-for-extending-an-o-a-visa/?do=findComment&comment=15593685

• Like 1

Pacific Cross is offering one. https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/visa-friendly/

I have Pacific Cross Health Insurance Policy that is OA compliant.  But it does not meet the current Thailand Entry Insurance requirements($100,000 or 3.1 Million Baht).  If I were to convert to such a policy as mentioned above the annual premium would be over 60,000 Baht(I am under 60 and I currently pay about 32,000 Baht).  In conclusion, NO WAY.  My time is LOS is gradually coming to an end.  It has been fun but nothing lasts forever.  
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Pacific Cross is offering one. https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/visa-friendly/

I have Pacific Cross Health Insurance Policy that is OA compliant.  But it does not meet the current Thailand Entry Insurance requirements($100,000 or 3.1 Million Baht).  If I were to convert to such a policy as mentioned above the annual premium would be over 60,000 Baht(I am under 60 and I currently pay about 32,000 Baht).  In conclusion, NO WAY.  My time is LOS is gradually coming to an end.  It has been fun but nothing lasts forever.  

Is this the LMG policy?

21 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Thanks

Hi Hank Gunn > requested info sent PM - and you're welcome.

Note: The info PM-ed is too long (tips / caveats / user-case experience) to insert on the Forum.

It also allows me to PM you and others who requested it, additional info when that becomes available re the topic.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Is this the LMG policy?

No, it is not.

I did PM you the comprehensive Non Imm O-A compliant LMG Insurance Plan 1 info, also containing practical information on where and how to apply for that policy, as well as tips/caveats when subscribing to it.

On 7/6/2020 at 7:59 PM, Peter Denis said:

Since it is a MultipleEntry Visa, each time you exit Thailand and re-enter you will be stamped in by border-Immigration for the 1-year extension of stay that Non Imm O-A Visa entitles you to.

So by exiting Thailand and returning just before your Visa validity expires (mid Oct 2020), you will be able to squeeze a full 2nd year permission to stay out of that Non Imm O-A Visa.

does this also apply to a Non Imm O  based on retirement.  ?

Is it possible to get another 1-year stamped.  Visa expires