Thai immigration to reopen temporary visa centre at Muang Thong Thani

Thai immigration to reopen temporary visa centre at Muang Thong Thani

1pm2a.jpg.03ceb02714040970562ee05ac152a9

Image: Naewna

Thai immigration has announced it will be moving some service back to the temporary visa centre at Muang Thong Thani from 13 July.

The temporary visa centre had been set up in March (before the visa amnesty) to help deal with the large numbers of foreigners who needed to extend their visas having been left stranded in Thailand due to COVID-19.

Muang Thong Thani is a sprawling housing estate a few kilometers from the Government Complex also on Chaeng Wattana Road. 

There is currently a visa amnesty in Thailand until 31 July. It is not yet known if the visa amnesty will be extended.

A map to the temporary visa centre is available by the QR code below.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-06

EcAbTj9UcAAutlE.jpeg

Just now, MadMac said:

Alright, so this indirectly means that there will be no automatic amnesty beyond 31st of July but perhaps a normal extension granted with corresponding application and fees.

Yep seems so. 

Thing is many folk have already used their extension and some the "second" extension with the embassy letter.

Confusing....especially the counter K services.

Let's say for example during a border hop becomes available again "in the near future"....a person with an O-A Extension of stay wants to do a border hop without reentry permit to kill off the old O-A...reenters and gets a Visa Exempt entry good for 30 days....and then immediately wants to start the process to convert that Visa Exempt to a Non-O Visa a CW.  Would he go to the current CW facility or the temporary facility in the opening post?

Edited by Pib

Since when is it possible to convert a visa exemption? Thats an exemption as the word says.

I'd expect them to offer perhaps another 30 days extension to finalize the amnesty and give people enough time to sort out their things.

6 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Since when is it possible to convert a visa exemption? Thats an exemption as the word says.

I'd expect them to offer perhaps another 30 days extension to finalize the amnesty and give people enough time to sort out their things.

Since like forever....been discussed many times over the years on ThaiVisa....it how many people start in getting a Non-O visa and then before the 90 day end of that Non-O visa they do an extension of stay for 1 year.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

Plenty of empty seats in the atrium - just need to display queue numbers there, and/or announce when people with numbers between xxx and yyy can enter the office-area.

But, if they will want TR folks and 90-day reporters to show up for something quickly after July 31 (no provisions announced until now), then even that massive atrium would likely be overloaded and/or number of clerk-stations in the existing office insufficient.

Edited by JackThompson

When they did this in March to get my COVID extension they had a sign saying tourist extensions need to go to the new office ... they still ended up serving me at counter J at the CW office and didn’t even mention anything about me needing to go the temp office. 

Take it as its not mandatory to go to the temp place judging by my past experience.

need an announcement on the amnesty soon 

28 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Plenty of empty seats in the atrium - just need to display queue numbers there, and/or announce when people with numbers between xxx and yyy can enter the office-area.

And those seats are used for initial queue entry - but once inside 80% of seats are marked no sitting (4 of every 5 seat section) so most people have to gather in groups waiting for individual counter queue number to be called - just too many people in too little space - yes a large board outside immigration listing all desks would help this but expect with opening of small shops most of atrium will not be available - but dividing workload to other available facilities will place less burden on all - the stench from comfort room reached the atrium on my last visit.  

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And those seats are used for initial queue entry - but once inside 80% of seats are marked no sitting (4 of every 5 seat section) so most people have to gather in groups waiting for individual counter queue number to be called - just too many people in too little space - yes a large board outside immigration listing all desks would help this but expect with opening of small shops most of atrium will not be available - but dividing workload to other available facilities will place less burden on all - the stench from comfort room reached the atrium on my last visit.  

That is how people report it is now, but for awhile in March, they only let a limited-number of people into the immigration-area - the rest forced to stay outside.  At that time, there were no seats in the atrium, so everyone was on the floor, except the lucky ones who got a seat on the "planters" (no social distancing). 

There is no reason they could not return to keeping folks out of the office-area until their queue numbers are close.

I was not aware shops were opened in the upstairs atrium - I thought only downstairs?  But if so - yes, that would be another consideration.

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I was not aware shops were opened in the upstairs atrium - I thought only downstairs?  But if so - yes, that would be another consideration.

They were not open last month but covid status continues to be lowered so expect there will be a move to take back such areas as small venders really need to get back to business.  Too many people have been living on savings that most do not have.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

yes a large board outside immigration listing all desks would help this

I think there is a QR code on the ticket now, which can be used in conjunction with an app (LINE?) to monitor the queue, and notify you when your number is up. You get a message advising you on which desk number to proceed to.

You can also pre-book an appointment, at CW at least.

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I think there is a QR code on the ticket now, which can be used in conjunction with an app (LINE?) to monitor the queue, and notify you when your number is up. You get a message advising you on which desk number to proceed to.

You can also pre-book an appointment, at CW at least.

I am not of the QR generation - my phone is also not.????

image.jpeg.e74705ffd6d9cb4b36f2b01282ce9efe.jpeg

On 7/6/2020 at 10:03 AM, MadMac said:

Alright, so this indirectly means that there will be no automatic amnesty beyond 31st of July but perhaps a normal extension granted with corresponding application and fees.

Suggest you do all your immigration stuff before the end of the month approaching as it will get mad again.

That was my first thought. My second thought was "Someone actually looked that far ahead? DAYEM!"

Suggest you do all your immigration stuff before the end of the month approaching as it will get mad again.

"Suggest you do all your immigration stuff before the end of the month approaching as it will get mad again."

A good solid advice to follow , as understandable they can not forever stretching that amnesty ...

No, I wouldn't assume that. Could also be an amnesty but with the need to register yourself at your local immigration.

2 hours ago, Eibot said:

No, I wouldn't assume that. Could also be an amnesty but with the need to register yourself at your local immigration.

It will be an amnesty in any case, or however you would call this, as whatever comes out of this will not be a regular extension. I believe they will grant one more but based on application and payment of corresponding fees.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wilkis333 said:

I need to do 90day reporting on 24 July and my visa is spouse visa. I should go to Nonthaburi or Muang Thong. 

Muang Thong Thani if you used CW before - if you live in Nonthaburi you would continue to use that office.  But if your report date is before July 31 that is no need to do anywhere until advised otherwise.

Edited by lopburi3

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Muang Thong Thani if you used CW before - if you live in Nonthaburi you would continue to use that office.  But if your report date is before July 31 that is no need to do anywhere until advised otherwise.

Thank you. I have not used Cw bef

and i will go to nonthaburi as usual.

6 minutes ago, MadMac said:

You can do it online

You sure?  Many of us who have been here some time can not as are not in the data base they use.

7 minutes ago, MadMac said:

if this does not work send it by mail

And when no receipt returned you still have to visit them.

Agree those that can do online (which is most people) should use that option as it is quick and normally easy.  Mailing is a bit more complex as have to make copies of everything and get stamps, print out return envelope and then mail registered or EMS and hope for the best.  But have had about 90% success so worth the effort.  

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You sure?  Many of us who have been here some time can not as are not in the data base they use.

And when no receipt returned you still have to visit them.

Agree those that can do online (which is most people) should use that option as it is quick and normally easy.  Mailing is a bit more complex as have to make copies of everything and get stamps, print out return envelope and then mail registered or EMS and hope for the best.  But have had about 90% success so worth the effort.  

Keep the registration slip from the post office. That has the address of the immigration on it in case it get lost. Which is highly unlikely.

5 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Keep the registration slip from the post office. That has the address of the immigration on it in case it get lost. Which is highly unlikely.

Yes - been there - done that - you still have to visit immigration after 30 days to obtain receipt (even if it made it - or to submit new TM47 if it did not).

• 3 months later...
53 minutes ago, Yanki said:

What is the working hours of Muang thong thani immegration office? Please...

Believe it is the same 0830 but this is only used for tourist type extensions (which you have to obtain an appointment for) or at other building 90 day address reports.  Activities for normal extensions and such is still done at Chiang Watanna.