The water is "thick with plastic": UK blogger advises against Thai beach visit for holiday weekend

webfact

The water is "thick with plastic": UK blogger advises against Thai beach visit for holiday weekend

2pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Manager online

Popular and influential Bangkok based blogger Richard Barrow pulled no punches when he reported on the state of Bang Saen beach in Chonburi before the start of the long holiday weekend. 

He advised anyone heading for the beach - particularly popular with Thai families - to head back home as sands were covered in litter and the water was "thick with plastic". 

He posted a video of the filthy shoreline on Friday. 

The local authorities swung into action with a six hour cleaning operation from 4 am to 10 am Saturday but two further clean-ups were needed as more trash blew in off the sea. 

Local Mayor Narongchai "Tui" Khunpluem went onto Facebook to say that Mr Barrow's observations were true. 

He said that since he was a child this had always happened at Bangsaen in the monsoon season especially from July to September. 

The trash came from the principal estuaries emptying into the gulf and from vessels at sea. 

He was resigned to clearing up the trash for the visitors to the beach - and waiting for the next inevitable wave of rubbish to wash up. 

Mayor Tui - who frequently posts online - has had some success making sure visitors and vendors don't make a mess of his beach but is powerless to stop the trash emanating from elsewhere, notes Thaivisa.

Mr Barrow is one of the most influential travel bloggers living in Thailand having been in the kingdom for 25 years and writing about travel in Thailand since 1998.

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-06

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

does anybody has richard borrows email contact, not fb, instagram twitter as I don't use any of the social networks, serious answers only, thks

Richard doesn't give his email address out, he can only be contacted by Facebook or Twitter.

This is from his website: RichardBarrows.com

I have purposely made it difficult for people to contact me. This is because I was getting so many requests and questions from people that I was unable to cope. PLEASE don’t use the following form to ask me to help plan your holiday or to answer a question about Thailand. Use this form only to contact me. No questions please. I have a day job, and believe it or not, I also have a life! If you have a question then please post it on my Facebook page or Twitter feed where I answer all questions that I receive. Thank you for your understanding.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Richard doesn't give his email address out, he can only be contacted by Facebook or Twitter.

This is from his website: RichardBarrows.com

I have purposely made it difficult for people to contact me. This is because I was getting so many requests and questions from people that I was unable to cope. PLEASE don’t use the following form to ask me to help plan your holiday or to answer a question about Thailand. Use this form only to contact me. No questions please. I have a day job, and believe it or not, I also have a life! If you have a question then please post it on my Facebook page or Twitter feed where I answer all questions that I receive. Thank you for your understanding.

thanks, will try with fb friend acct

Well  looky here, it  all  has Thai writing on it,  must be either foreigners or Burmese  throwing it away, everyone knows  foreigners are dirty and Ive never  seen a  Thai throwing their  rubbish on the ground or  off the back of their  bike or after eating from their polystyrene containers whilst sitting under a tree at the beach after theyve given the left overs to the mangy dogs  which hang around them and dumping more krap onto the beach ,  no siree nor  beer bottles etc etc etc

Filthy dirty lazy, nope  not any Thais.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not just fishermen either.

Probably most every boat/ship out there does the same.

When I was on an Exercise with the US Marines/Navy back in the early 80s, we spent 6 weeks at sea re-enacting the Devil's Brigade landings in the Aleutian Islands, up in the Bering Sea between Russia and Alaska. 6 weeks at sea and barely 36 hours on the island. 

Most of the garbage from the ship, regardless of what it was, went off the rear of the ship into the ocean (once they were out of sight of land that is). The presumption was that it would never make it back to land. They were probably right about most of it. 
We had two separate fleets on that exercise, probably close to 3 dozen ships in total and thousands of sailors/marines/Canadian Infantry. Probably dumped enough garbage to fill a small city's landfill on that one exercise.

But as people have learned since then, stuff dumped at sea can end up floating a long, long way. Like that shipment of plastic ducks that have washed up on beaches thousands of miles from where the container when into the ocean. Or the shipment of Nike running shoes that floated for 6+ months on the ocean before some started washing up on beaches on the West Coast of North America.

Things like plastics, which seem to make up a large percentage of the trash these days, will float for years before finally disintegrating (or washing up on shore somewhere). 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Come to Thailand, spend 14 days in a high priced quarantine hotel. Then enjoy the pristine beaches.  Oh yes, and with a constantly rising Baht, your money won’t go too far.

Baht has been much the same for donkeys years.