Thank you to the considerate pick pockets

Expat Tom

With rare exception everything I wear here has a zippered pocket where the wallet lives.....

It's not like the Philippines where you basically have to keep your hands in your pockets, be watchful, & wear no jewelry.....

Thanks for the reminder that they are out there.....It's easy here to let the guard down....

4 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Driving license? 

Not on mine, but my wife has written on a slip of paper our address and stuffed it in my wallet/ purse/ handbag just in case I get falling down drunk and can't find my way home.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

When anyone 'makes contact' with you, hold on to your wallet and phone.

That's why you have two hands.

Caught between a couple of willing, promising, smiling faces & 4 perky boobs jostling about - the hands might have other ideas....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Not on mine, but my wife has written on a slip of paper our address and stuffed it in my wallet/ purse/ handbag just in case I get falling down drunk and can't find my way home.

My license has my address printed on the back in English and Thai, albeit in very small writing. 

Sparing the details. I was pick-pocketed in Indonesia  years back by a 3-man team: the bump, the pick, and the hand-off.

As for zippered pockets showing a bulge, there are razor-blade artists out there who could slice the bottom of the pocket, take the contents, and flee before you would ever notice what happened.

• Like 1

Are you sure it was them?

Didn't you just dropped the wallet somewhere. Somebody found it and bring it back? While pocketing the money for the service/guard pocketing the money? I don't think pick pocketers would walk around and be returning wallets to every victim.

Also, were it girls? I would expect something like this from ladyboys, not girls.

Edited by AndyAndyAndy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SkyFax said:

Sparing the details. I was pick-pocketed in Indonesia  years back by a 3-man team: the bump, the pick, and the hand-off.

As for zippered pockets showing a bulge, there are razor-blade artists out there who could slice the bottom of the pocket, take the contents, and flee before you would ever notice what happened.

True about the zips with pockets on the outside like cargo pants......I have some pants & shorts by Columbia that have zipper pockets inside & under the front pants pocket....They'd have to go through 2 layers to then slide the wallet up and out at the bottom....

I also choose wallets that allow the picture/card section to come out like as a separate independent card wallet....Small enough not to create a "target" bulge....

The razor/slice - not much here; beware on a jeepney in the PI...People get off & feel their pockets lightened.....People are better about preserving personal space here.....Anyone (without reason to be) in your personal space, probably has an agenda....Especially in the C19 times.....

I always avoid crowded situations & my wife really, really dislikes them.....

I keep the business card of my condo in both Thai and English languages in my wallet.

Here is the update to a truly crazy story. I wrote my post before going the the Juristic Office of my condo to retrieve my wallet. I thought I had 1200 baht in the wallet. In fact, I had 1400 baht. The wallet still had 400 baht inside when I got it back????

I promise, I am telling the truth. They took 1000 baht and left me 400 baht? I hope that they took the money because they were in need. Why they didn't take it all is a complete mystery. 

When they approached me I was polite and just tried to fend their aggressive touches away and not be too forceful or rude. I felt confused and bad because they looked too sweet and young to be street hookers or pickpockets. Next time, I might be a little more forceful but it is still not my nature to manhandle women...even aggressive ones. I actually had MUCH more money on me at the time but it was secured inside of one of the small buttoned pockets in my cargo shorts. I NEVER keep over 2000 baht in the wallet. 

Anyway...it is a truly strange story. Why did they leave me 400 baht???

23 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

Anyway...it is a truly strange story. Why did they leave me 400 baht???

the most likely thing that happened is that you forget about a 'purchase' somewhere along your days journey. chances you lost your wallet near the condo, getting off a bike/ taxi and it slipped out your pocket. that seems a good reason how they found where to return it to so quickly.

you had 1200 or was it 1400 or were there 4 notes and sure one was a thousand or something. easy to lose track of spending or not checking your change after a purchase. sounds innocent to me and luckily some honest peeps out there doing a good deed.

there is a chance they've factored in the 'reward' since they have looked inside to find your address. again, a good outcome considering the bother of replacing any cards ID etc......

I'm sticking to my first theory though.....

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

When anyone 'makes contact' with you, hold on to your wallet and phone.

That's why you have two hands.

And here was me thinking two titties, two hands. Have I been fondling the wrong things all these years? Or is this what the younger generation like to hold on to when with a lass? 

34 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

Sorry but not well travelled or experienced if you let your guard down and let them get anywhere near you, rule two never talk to people who approach you on the street, male or female

It's second nature to me, in a crowd, market, anywhere, my hand is in my pocket on my money. I've had a few try to pickpocket me in crowds, and know full well what they are up to, but with my hands in my pocket, I simply look at them and smile. To this day I have never understood why people walk around with their wallets and cards with them. Unless necessary. Old men carry wallets. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Are you sure it was them?

Didn't you just dropped the wallet somewhere. Somebody found it and bring it back? While pocketing the money for the service/guard pocketing the money? I don't think pick pocketers would walk around and be returning wallets to every victim.

Also, were it girls? I would expect something like this from ladyboys, not girls.

True, the ladyboys are known for it, but during these difficult times the girls are struggling to hell as well.

This is a random but true story. 

I was on holiday with my girlfriend in Koh Samui, staying at Ark Bar. Was a bit jetlagged and couldn't sleep. I had a couple of beers and decided to go for a walk. Ended up going along the beach and then around the lake. 

A lady boy tried offering me services. I told them politely I wasn't interested and was going back to my girlfriend. They got a bit more pushy so I told them firmly I wasn't interested in anyone and certainly not a man in drag. I was a bit rude in fairness. 

About 10 minutes later a bike comes past me and something comes flying past my head. Along with the same ladyboy who shouted something along the lines of 'don't make fun of ladyboy'. It was my wallet minus the cash. I lost about £50 in my money but was happy to have the wallet, credit cards and my army ID/driving licence back. I wouldn't have wanted to have explained I got it robbed by a transexual when I was back at work. 

Since then whenever I'm on holiday I don't carry important stuff in my wallet when I'm out and about. Just one card and some cash. Maybe my driving licence if I think I might need it. 

4 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

It's second nature to me, in a crowd, market, anywhere, my hand is in my pocket on my money. I've had a few try to pickpocket me in crowds, and know full well what they are up to, but with my hands in my pocket, I simply look at them and smile. To this day I have never understood why people walk around with their wallets and cards with them. Unless necessary. Old men carry wallets. 

Absolutely spot on