Killed by mankind: Turtle washed up dead on Bangsaen beach would have laid 200 eggs

webfact

Killed by mankind: Turtle washed up dead on Bangsaen beach would have laid 200 eggs

9pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A Hawksbill sea turtle was among rubbish washed up on Bangsaen beach at the weekend. 

The animal, thought to have been dead for three days, was taken for an autopsy. 

It was found to be a female about to lay 200 eggs. 

The Saensuk mayor Narongchai Khunpluem went on his personal Facebook account to say that we (us humans) killed the creature. 

A fishing hook was embedded in her neck, there was all manner of plastic in her stomach and what appeared to be nylon rope was strangling her intestines. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-06

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Sea turtle hatching survival rate is about 1%. So while the death of one female maybe cause for concern for some. The 200 unlaid eggs are irrelevant as  they would have resulted at best in 2 fully grown individuals. 

But maybe this particular turtle could have laid 200 eggs and ALL of them lived to maturity...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

^ Maybe Chealsea could have won the cup. No. Not much chance of either but continue dreaming?

One swallow does not a summer make. One turtle does not a species make?

We have on many occassions.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Sea turtle hatching survival rate is about 1%. So while the death of one female maybe cause for concern for some. The 200 unlaid eggs are irrelevant as  they would have resulted at best in 2 fully grown individuals. 

:post-4641-1156693976:

The premature death of a pregnant female of any species...and loss of it's eggs/unborn...is a tragedy for a Critically Endangered species. Bycatch, throwaways and careless fishing practices of this type happen all too often and is a major reason for diminished numbers and major concern for the survival of many marine species. 

Hawksbill sea turtle/Conservation status

Critically Endangered
Population decreasing
Edited by Skeptic7

8 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Yes indeed, but this means 2 fully grown individuals LESS!! Very sad story.

• Like 1

If you want to get upset about something related to turtles, here's a trade show I attended a few years back...  All the great efforts of Turtle Rescue crews seems wasted when this happens.

As you may imagine, I really got the stink eye when they saw me snapping photos, so I had to be a little discrete.  I'll let everyone guess where the trade show was.  Here's a hint.  Your first inkling is probably correct.

Dead Turtles 05.jpg

• Sad 1

Just now, impulse said:

As you may imagine, I really got the stink eye when they saw me snapping photos, so I had to be a little discrete.  I'll let everyone guess where the trade show was.  Here's a hint.  Your first inkling is probably correct.

Not much imagination needed. I received a video clip of the likely aftermath, someone dining on one of these like a pork pie. Disturbing.