Jump to content
BANGKOK
Phoenix Rising

One year extension based on marriage

Recommended Posts

Could someone please confirm or deny if I can apply for a one year extension based on marriage while here on a non-O that's expired but staying on a 60 days extension to visit family?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is your 60-day extension of your original Non-O entry permitted-stay still valid?  I have seen mixed reports on appliations for those on "covid-extensions" - seems to vary by office. 

 

There are no issues (other than the normal ones) if you are still within a permitted-stay stamped in your passport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Is your 60-day extension of your original Non-O entry permitted-stay still valid?  I have seen mixed reports on appliations for those on "covid-extensions" - seems to vary by office. 

 

There are no issues (other than the normal ones) if you are still within a permitted-stay stamped in your passport.

I'm not on it yet. My visa will expire just after the end of the amnesty so will apply for a 60 day extension before then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I'm not on it yet. My visa will expire just after the end of the amnesty so will apply for a 60 day extension before then.

What is your present Visa situation?

- On which Visa type did you enter Thailand?

- The Visa 'valid until date' is not of relevance, but what was the permission to stay date as stamped in your passport on entry?

- Did you apply already for extensions of stay since entering Thailand?  If so for which reason where they provided, and what is your current permission to stay date?

- Are you married to a thai a national or do you have a dependant child?

- What is your age and nationality?

- At which IO do you report?

>> The answers on the above will determine your options.

Let us know so that knowledgeable TVF-members can provide you with correct advice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I'm not on it yet. My visa will expire just after the end of the amnesty so will apply for a 60 day extension before then.

You will require proof of 400K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months, or 2 x 40K monthly transfers from overseas prior to submitting the application for a 1 year extension based on marriage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

What is your present Visa situation?

- On which Visa type did you enter Thailand?

- The Visa 'valid until date' is not of relevance, but what was the permission to stay date as stamped in your passport on entry?

- Did you apply already for extensions of stay since entering Thailand?  If so for which reason where they provided, and what is your current permission to stay date?

- Are you married to a thai a national or do you have a dependant child?

- What is your age and nationality?

- At which IO do you report?

>> The answers on the above will determine your options.

Let us know so that knowledgeable TVF-members can provide you with correct advice.

 

I'm here on a Non-O based on marriage. My last entry was om March 3rd so am currently covered by the amnesty. My visa expires mid August.

I reside in Jomtien. I have passed 50 but due to new regs I don't want to go that route.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I'm here on a Non-O based on marriage. My last entry was om March 3rd so am currently covered by the amnesty. My visa expires mid August.

I reside in Jomtien. I have passed 50 but due to new regs I don't want to go that route.

Let us know how it goes at Jomtien immigration - both the 60-day extension application and the 1-year - if either/both are possible there and/or any complications.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I'm not on it yet. My visa will expire just after the end of the amnesty so will apply for a 60 day extension before then.

 

39 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I'm here on a Non-O based on marriage. My last entry was om March 3rd so am currently covered by the amnesty. My visa expires mid August.

I reside in Jomtien. I have passed 50 but due to new regs I don't want to go that route.

Your Visa validity date (mid August) is not relevant for an in-country application.

When you entered March 3rd you were provided a 90-day permission to stay which ended June 1st.  Since then you have been on an automatically extended Amnesty permission to stay.

It is important for you to enquire at your IO in Jomtien whether they will back-date your application for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife, or whether they will let it start from the date of application.

1 - In case they back-date your application to June 1st, that would make the 60-day extension application useless as it would only provide you with a permission to stay till July 31st (which you already have been provided because of the automatic Amnesty-extension).

And that would mean you would either have to leave the country (if that is possible) or would have to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of family.  But such an application would require 2 months of seasoning of the funds (so if you did not start already doing that, you won't be able to meet the requirements anymore by the end of the Amnesty even if the Amnesty would be extended till end of August).  See post #6 by @Tanoshi

2 - In case Jomtien would process your application for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your family, from the moment of application < you would have to do this latest on last day of the Amnesty > you would still have enough time to season the funds for the required time, but obviously better start doing that a couple of days before 31 July in order to be able to show 2 full months of seasoning.

 

I have attached a compilation of 3 recent posts outlining the Jomtien requirements when applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage. 

I also added the requirements (thai and english version) as handed out by the SriRacha IO (Jomtien's sister-office).

 

Non Imm O - marriage extension requirements - Jomtien March 2020.txt MarriageextdocsEng-SiRacha.pdf MarriageextreqdocsThai-SiRachaDec19.pdf

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if Phayao IO is one of those offices that will issue the 60-day extension from the date of application since my permission to stay date was 24 June?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

All offices should be doing it that way. Just rumors that they might back date it.

Thanks for confirming this.

This is a very important matter for all those whose current permission to stay has expired, and

- are presently on the automatically Amnesty extended permission to stay till July 31;

- are married to a thai national or have a thai dependant child;

- did not use their 60-day extension of stay yet.

It will allow them to apply for that 60-day extension of stay in the final days of the Amnesty, and provide them with a permission to stay till end of September.

By then, the borders might be open again, hopefully with relaxed entry-requirements.

If borders still closed or (re)entry-requirements too difficult/inconvenient > It will allow them to apply at their local IO

- for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa based on their current VisaExempt or Tourist Visa entry, or

- for a 1-year extension of stay based on their current Non Imm O Visa (with sufficient time to meet the financial seasoning requirements).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tommygun809 said:

Does anyone know if Phayao IO is one of those offices that will issue the 60-day extension from the date of application since my permission to stay date was 24 June?

No reports yet - so all just speculation on what they "should do" on 30-day (TR) and 60-day (Thai Family) extensions.  But please link if I missed one.

We do have at least one report of an office refusing a 1-year extension from a covid-extension.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JackThompson said:

No reports yet - so all just speculation on what they "should do" on 30-day (TR) and 60-day (Thai Family) extensions.  But please link if I missed one.

If they backdated 60 day extensions to the date their permission of stay from a VE or TV ended, the 60 day extension would have already ended before it began in most cases and they'd automatically be back on the amnesty extension.   :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If they backdated 60 day extensions to the date their permission of stay from a VE or TV ended, the 60 day extension would have already ended before it began in most cases and they'd automatically be back on the amnesty extension.   :thumbsup:

Exactly.  Hoping to see some success stories - and letting folks use the time from those for 1-year extensions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...