Sealing toilet bowl

Sundown

Hello everyone. The toilet bowl has a tiny hole in the white cement around it at the bottom.(sorry cannot explain better, the white stripe between the bottom of the bowl and the floor). How do I seal it? What do I have to buy at home pro?

Edited by Sundown

In theory that should be only a bedding seal for the  bowl to sit evenly o the floor. If it s leaking anything it probably means there is  no proper seal between the outlet on the  bowl to the sewerage pipe further under the bowl.

If there is no leak then test the original "white material  by scratching it with something. If it is hard it is probably tiling grout. If it is soft (ish) it is  an acrylic/silicon. Fill the hole  with whichever is  a  match.

But if it  leaks then  is a bit  more of a  task which will require removing the hold down  screws, lifting the bowl, replacing/fitting a  new  seal ring and then re-seating the  bowl  with appropriate as  above.

New  seal rings can be  found  in some of the  bigger  hardware  stores. Often (but not  always) comprised of a  squishy/spongy  material loaded  with grease.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

In theory that should be only a bedding seal for the  bowl to sit evenly o the floor. If it s leaking anything it probably means there is  no proper seal between the outlet on the  bowl to the sewerage pipe further under the bowl.

If there is no leak then test the original "white material  by scratching it with something. If it is hard it is probably tiling grout. If it is soft (ish) it is  an acrylic/silicon. Fill the hole  with whichever is  a  match.

But if it  leaks then  is a bit  more of a  task which will require removing the hold down  screws, lifting the bowl, replacing/fitting a  new  seal ring and then re-seating the  bowl  with appropriate as  above.

New  seal rings can be  found  in some of the  bigger  hardware  stores. Often (but not  always) comprised of a  squishy/spongy  material loaded  with grease.

Yes it's leaking. Can't I just seal with silicone (or similar) as a temporary solution?

• Like 1

For a quick job,maybe not the best fix, buy a tube of silicone sealer,

work it into the hole,and put more on top,that will fix it,if only small

hole just buy a small tube of silicone sealer.don't flush the toilet till it drys.

regards Worgeordie   PS you had the answer all the time

Edited by worgeordie
  • Thanks 1

Thailand normally does not use seals and cement base to floor rather than using bolts.  Bosny Wall Putty (interior and exterior) should seal leak and is easy to use as comes mixed and very white.  Also great (normal use) for filling wall holes in cement or gypsum.  Available at any hardware store and very easy to use and clean up.

image.jpeg.5cdc7a16449b2ed4a03c6df5cb5a33db.jpeg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Yes it's leaking. Can't I just seal with silicone (or similar) as a temporary solution?

As a temporary solution I guess so. But it could  be that  it will start in another  place  quite  quickly.

Often that outer seal material is installed "after" the  bowl is set down instead of placed on a layer which means that there will be places where there is  very little  material  making that  seal and  so easy to allow  more leaks in circumstances  like  this.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

As a temporary solution I guess so. But it could  be that  it will start in another  place  quite  quickly.

Often that outer seal material is installed "after" the  bowl is set down instead of placed on a layer which means that there will be places where there is  very little  material  making that  seal and  so easy to allow  more leaks in circumstances  like  this.

Not true in Thailand - the base is sealed to the floor as it is placed in position and allowed to cure overnight.  It is part of the install - not after.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not true in Thailand - the base is sealed to the floor as it is placed in position and allowed to cure overnight.  It is part of the install - not after.  

I have seen  various "methods". The majority incorrectly and poorly done as in no  connecting seal. Just great  globs  of  cement  mix heaped around the union. To  date I have participated in  6 repairs  to  failures , two of which were  due to  partial blockages and one  to  extract a  door knob  jammed in the s bend.

Perhaps you have  witnessed rather better installs  than I have. lol

12 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I have seen  various "methods". The majority incorrectly and poorly done as in no  connecting seal. Just great  globs  of  cement  mix heaped around the union. To  date I have participated in  6 repairs  to  failures , two of which were  due to  partial blockages and one  to  extract a  door knob  jammed in the s bend.

Perhaps you have  witnessed rather better installs  than I have. lol

With 7 toilets in our home we learned quickly to make sure install done well (not as good at convincing them to use pipe seals - even when recently provided with toilets).  Recently had one leaking at bolt hole - cement had turned a bit and maid quickly repaired with the wall putty.  But have never had any others leak - have had to remove to change or access septic tank in one case and no issues (although believe 30 years ago they did have to break base of an old toilet to remove).  They seem to be able to remove easily these days.