Shaving in a hairdressers.

OneeyedJohn

It was common in the 60-70's for middle class men to go regularly to the barber and have their beard shaved with a razor.

Yeah, it's 2020 so come to your own conclusions now, I said enough...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Quite frankly it is disgusting practice, like cutting your toenails in public.

Nose hair -  yuck.

Some things need to be done in the privacy of your own home.

like complain abt every minor inconvenience in your life.. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

So why do Thai men go there and have a shave as well, I mean it isn't that difficult to do yourself

Why do TVF Posters constantly claim Thais are doing something that farang never do, never have, never would? Answer this: why do British men have a shave at Geo. F. Trumper, Truefitt & Hill, and Taylor of Old Bond Street, among others? It's a touted service:

A traditional wet shave with hot towels and face massage is one of the most relaxing experiences known and one for which Trumper is rightly famous. Using specially made open razors with a new blade for each shave, hygiene and comfort are assured.

--https://www.trumpers.com/trumpers-services/

And they've doing for a couple of hundred years in some cases. Yet you've never heard of it. Living under a rock?

In fact farang and various other foreigners often have shaves in a Thai barbershop.

barbers shop where you just have a haircut, at least that is what I thought

Merely what you wanted to think since you had no real reason. I guess they never heard that you'd restricted their services. But my shop posts prices and lists "shave" on the board.

why have a shave in the hairdressers

Some posters have explained that to you. You could also call Taylor of Old Bond Street and ask: +44 (020) 7930 5544. They probably know, since they've been doing it since 1854. 

I don't mind waiting for a haircut to finish, but when the chair goes down and the razor comes out I am off.

Haircutting is just haircutting, pal. Waiting is waiting. For some reason you've gotten your knickers all in a twist about a barber's cutting there. Just something improper about it, to you. Just don't like it. Why's that?

So many amusing little provincial prejudices here and wishes to impose them on others. Well, we have a whinge for the day.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Quite frankly it is disgusting practice, like cutting your toenails in public.

Nose hair -  yuck.

Some things need to be done in the privacy of your own home.

Maybe adapt a bit more to the local culture. 

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe adapt a bit more to the local culture. 

London shops do the same thing, always have, and have advanced to waxing:

Nose Hair Waxing

With our nose hair waxing service, you will not have to painfully pluck your nose hair out at the last minute. We focus on removing those thick outer hairs, and not the important finer hair that’s inside your nose. Don’t worry about it being unbearably painful. Nose hair waxing is no more painful than waxing any other part of your body. Plus, the more times you have your nose hair waxed, the less painful it will be.

Ear Hair Waxing

Having warm wax in your ear does not sound too appealing, but the benefits are worth it. We guarantee that our ear hair waxing service removes all the hair, even the peach fuzz on the outside of your ear, in one shot. Depending on the growth of your hair, your ear can be hairless for four to six weeks. Rather than using a home ear hair waxing kit, visit your nearest Porters Barbers to have your ears completely hair free.

https://www.portersbarbers.co.uk/services/waxing/

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I had a shave in a barbers in Bangkok a few years ago, 4 blades later i decided I'll never try that again. It's easy to do it in the shower free. I guess some guys like being pampered with a shave

Why not if you have the time and can afford it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I had a shave in a barbers in Bangkok a few years ago, 4 blades later i decided I'll never try that again. It's easy to do it in the shower free. I guess some guys like being pampered with a shave

Now I think I'll have one next time I go to my shop. Nice lady there, stroking my face . . . ????

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I have reason to believe many female hairdressers provide other 'services' in Thailand.

Not in my town they don't, but I think you mostly mean the ones in the middle of the massage shop areas round about Soi Buckawo. 

21 hours ago, Sundown said:

It was common in the 60-70's for middle class men to go regularly to the barber and have their beard shaved with a razor.

Yeah, it's 2020 so come to your own conclusions now, I said enough...

'Barber' means 'beard' in Latin,

... more or less.

• Like 1

I knew it was a mistake to start a silly little topic like this, it was only a lighthearted twist at Thai barbers, but it has got mangled into something completely different.

I do apologise if you took me seriously.

You just don't have a sense of humour.  Too long in Thailand probably.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I knew it was a mistake to start a silly little topic like this, it was only a lighthearted twist at Thai barbers, but it has got mangled into something completely different.

I would say you have no sense of humor. Everyone thought you were serious so its not us who were wrong. Don't quit your day job and try to be a comedian.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

But barbers in the UK also offer shaves, so you don't have any twist to make at Thai barbers. And farang and other other nationalities, not just Thais, also get shaves at Thai hairdressers. Often more affordable than back home.

On 7/4/2020 at 2:46 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

Honestly, you have to wonder how some people have the intelligence to even get to Thailand, let alone how to live here.

I have to stop reading this junk.

Edited by BigStar