Phuket Airbnb Owner Requesting "hospital health certificate"

samisaurus

Hi All, 

I'm looking to get some input from you regarding a situation with an airbnb owner that i booked at. I live in BKK and going down to Phuket for a week. I've been here since January. Today i received a message from the airbnb owner asking if i have a "hospital health certificate?" 

I informed him I currently live in BKK and that travel restrictions within the country are lifted. According to all sources I checked , no documentation is required during travel. He then informs me that "The management in Patong area is very strict, requiring hospital health certificate, like this" & furthermore states that "But this from co-owner committee rule and regular at the deck". 

Is this required upon coming to Patong or just a BS request from the owner?  Just to reiterate I am already in Thailand and traveling domestically. 

Please let me know & Thanks 

First of all, if he is speaking about co-owners committee he should not be entitled to rent short term the apartment as he would need a hotel license. Short term rentals are illegal in condominiums. Ask him if he's going to comply with the tm-30 regulation then?

Second, just print a document in word saying that you are healthy ???? 

Edited by Sundown
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sundown said:

First of all, if he is speaking about co-owners committee he should not be entitled to rent short term the apartment as he would need a hotel license. Short term rentals are illegal in condominiums. Ask him if he's going to comply with the tm-30 regulation then?

Second, just print a document in word saying that you are healthy ???? 

I might just do that. The condo is self check in too, not sure how the committee would be aware of my arrival and such. 

He's based in China (funny I know) and I'm pretty sure that yes the committee are unaware. 

Seems like he's over-complicating this for no reason. 

Any ideas if possible to get a full 100% refund from airbnb anyone ? 

Just now, BritManToo said:

Cancel and book another place.

Should be plenty available.

It depends on the cancellation policy of the owner. If it's strict, you are not going to get full refund. 

If you like the property, stick with it. Tell the owner that yes you have the health certificate and if he wants to see it just provide something you made on Word with some generic hospital certification your name and passport number. 

2 minutes ago, Sundown said:

It depends on the cancellation policy of the owner. If it's strict, you are not going to get full refund. 

If you like the property, stick with it. Tell the owner that yes you have the health certificate and if he wants to see it just provide something you made on Word with some generic hospital certification your name and passport number. 

Owner has cancelled as far as I can see.

But my reply to the owner would have been, "No I don't, are you cancelling my booking?"

Edited by BritManToo

Hi Guys, 

Thanks for all positive replies. 

Yes seems like total BS. If i am to cancel from my end then i wont receive 100% refund. This is on them, im not the one wanting to cancel . Ive messaged the airbnb support team about this and hopefully they do issue a FULL refund. From there I'll book elsewhere . 

35 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Unfortunately even though the booking isnt even 24hrs old, Im only entitled to 50% refund if i cancel from my end.  Which i wont,  

4 hours ago, samisaurus said:

Hi Guys, 

Thanks for all positive replies. 

Yes seems like total BS. If i am to cancel from my end then i wont receive 100% refund. This is on them, im not the one wanting to cancel . Ive messaged the airbnb support team about this and hopefully they do issue a FULL refund. From there I'll book elsewhere . 

If airbnb refuses a 100% refund, you might tell them that you've found that according to local regulations, this is an illegal short-term rental. I doubt that airbnb would want to be involved in any backlash associated with an illegal rental brokered on their site.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DrDave said:

If airbnb refuses a 100% refund, you might tell them that you've found that according to local regulations, this is an illegal short-term rental. I doubt that airbnb would want to be involved in any backlash associated with an illegal rental brokered on their site.

Awesome idea. 

I contacted them and they will contact the host and if he doesnt remove the health certificate restrictions, they will refund me 100%. I like your approach too hahah , I want revenge lol 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kildonan said:

Friend came from Pattaya to Phuket. Renting and no one asked for any forms. Even did his 90 day Report at Patong IO,,, and they didn't even ask for local rental address. 

dont believe you, your 90 day report can only be done in person, (not referring to online or by mail) at the immigration office your extension is issued.

On 7/6/2020 at 4:57 PM, Kildonan said:

Friend came from Pattaya to Phuket. Renting and no one asked for any forms. Even did his 90 day Report at Patong IO,,, and they didn't even ask for local rental address. 

Did they re-open Patong Immigration?

On 7/7/2020 at 8:37 AM, zzzzz said:

dont believe you, your 90 day report can only be done in person, (not referring to online or by mail) at the immigration office your extension is issued.

That is not correct, Officially the 90 day reporting has to be done in the province where the persons address is registered. 

(not necessary the extension issuing office)

• Like 1