How many of us are actually on the Visa Amnesty until July 31?

How many of us are actually on the Visa Amnesty until July 31?  

234 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The thing is there are lot of guys married have ME based on marriage. Obviously they usually exit every 90. Those folk sort of in no man's land. So guess they will be ticking yes.

Fair point, Dr. Jack. Thanks. I am kind of in no man's land too, having coming off a Non-Imm 'B' based on work, but having been prevented from applying for a new Non-Imm 'O' based on marriage by the border closures due to bad luck with timing. There are many combinations and permutations. That's why I just asked it as simply as possible with Yes or No answers. 

You should have divided option one 'yes' into two parts. 

There are some who are on short term visas who are temporarily stuck here and intend to return home/move on as soon as practicably possible while there are others who are here on short term visas/extensions who tend to live here permanently and, instead of applying for twelve month extensions, manipulate the 'lax' short term system to do so. 

I just have a simple marriage extension so the amnesty doesn't affect me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, john terry1001 said:

You should have divided option one 'yes' into two parts. 

There are some who are on short term visas who are temporarily stuck here and intend to return home/move on as soon as practicably possible while there are others who are here on short term visas/extensions who tend to live here permanently and, instead of applying for twelve month extensions, manipulate the 'lax' short term system to do so. 

I just have a simple marriage extension so the amnesty doesn't affect me.

Then there are those here on Non-O-ME Visas based on Thai family, who cannot get extensions from immigration, to spite qualifying based on our proven incomes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

On 7/6/2020 at 3:52 PM, DrJack54 said:

I'm on annual extensions and voted no.

The thing is there are lot of guys married have ME based on marriage. Obviously they usually exit every 90. Those folk sort of in no man's land. So guess they will be ticking yes.

Why in No Man's Land? Those on a ME marriage visa can't exit/re-enter and the situation couldn't be clearer. Unusual, I know, for Thailand.

• Like 1

I am hoping that the Thai government will extend the amnesty till such times when normal international flights resume .

There is scientific belief that the virus has not been defeated by a long way and the Asian rainy seasons could have an impact on a second wave . The western world will be in a similar state with the autumn just a few months away . I would prefer to ride out the pandemic here until hopefully a vaccine is found which is being targeted for the last quarter of this year .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why in No Man's Land? Those on a ME marriage visa can't exit/re-enter and the situation couldn't be clearer. Unusual, I know, for Thailand.

Relax. I was pointing out there are many groups of folks currently in Thailand. Example tourist visas, visa exempt etc.

Then there are many that live in Thailand, such as those on non O or O-A extensions. No problem for those guys as can renew their extensions inside of Thailand. 

The ME marriage guys IMO have been caught out. Many will have no choice but to exit and return with whatever requirements are needed. 

I'm on extensions to non o (retirement).

Think they are bit stiff

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Relax. I was pointing out there are many groups of folks currently in Thailand. Example tourist visas, visa exempt etc.

Then there are many that live in Thailand, such as those on non O or O-A extensions. No problem for those guys as can renew their extensions inside of Thailand. 

The ME marriage guys IMO have been caught out. Many will have no choice but to exit and return with whatever requirements are needed. 

Think they are bit stiff

The post I responded to referred to ME marriage visas, no others. I'm on one myself and don't feel 'caught out'. When the gates open I'll hop across a border and back as usual and be home again in time for lunch. Can't see that changing ????

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 3:52 PM, DrJack54 said:

I'm on annual extensions and voted no.

i'm use to be like you, think i'm better then everybody else because i got what i wanted, along the way i relized people have their owned problem, different situation and reason, it's not illegal of what they are doing, these day i understand where they came from and support them as much as i can in ever way, put in few good word the little thing that count,

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The post I responded to referred to ME marriage visas, no others. I'm on one myself and don't feel 'caught out'. When the gates open I'll hop across a border and back as usual and be home again in time for lunch. Can't see that changing ????

Like your cup half full approach. Not everyone as confident that there will not be some requirements that were not necessary prior to covid-19. Also that could be on both sides of border.

• Like 2

I’m on a non-B that expired the end of May. Immigration won’t give me an extension based on employment, because the Thai company I work for has not made a profit. Normally not an issue as I travel regularly and pick up a new nonB abroad. But that’s clearly not possible now. I doubt the boss is going to appreciate it if I have to fly to my home country for a new non-B with all costs involved and then having to find a flight back and go into quarantine. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 10:58 PM, Deserted said:

i'm on tourist visa, expired april 17th. hope they extend it

Same though I have an unused 30 day extension which, I'm told, is still valid. The hospitality / tourism sector seem confident that a further amnesty will be given but how much of that confidence is based on desire rather than reasonable belief? I don't know. That being said their economic arguments are pretty good as are their health related ones. Fella a short while back asked the point of throwing out perfectly serviceable Covid free paying guests with no hope of filling their seat in the foreseeable future. It's been speculated that there could be a charge (1900 Baht?) for what would be an extension (90 days?) Perfectly reasonable but how would they collect the money without large gatherings of people at immigration offices come month end. Something HAS to happen, in my view. If it's just left to lapse then it could be chaos at Swampy come the end of the month 

There is also the question of who are those still here for tourist reasons and why. The media sometimes mentions being stranded but I don't see it. Previously yes but now no. What is left is a subgroup of people who can self sustain and thus contribute to the social pot.

My prediction is that they will announce on Monday that the present visa regulations will be extended until the 30th September.

Anyway.... good fortune and stay safe.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Think they are bit stiff

They could always get a 60 day extension or convert to a 1 year extension using financials if they qualify.

Which I might do from my married ME O depending on what is announced in the near future.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Good luck with that plan.

When the amnesty was announced, there were an estimated 500,000 foreigners automatically covered.

Some have since left and found there way home, whilst others are now on it requiring border runs or new Visas once the borders open.

When the borders do eventually open, it will be mayhem.

That could well be the case if they have not thought it through . It could be managed several ways if for example they made a new app whereby you could apply for a border run and they gave you a date and also an allotted number .  Or maybe in alphabetical order of your surname  .

Whatever is decided I fear that the end of the amnesty may bring some changes to visa requirements in the future for long term stayers but not for the two week millionaires , hope I am wrong but the way this country is being conducted nothing would surprise me .  

46 minutes ago, superal said:

you could apply for a border run and they gave you a date and also an allotted number .  Or maybe in alphabetical order of your surname  .

You assume visa exempt entries will still be available. 

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't think that is the case. I am on ME visa and from the posts I have seen the majority have an option open to them so "caught out" is a bit of a generalisation.

Last Nov I couldn't renew my extension because I had a transaction missing from the time I spent in the UK, so went to HCMC for a visa. Ironically now I have over a year of transactions I only need 2 or 3. There is also the option of a 60 day.

We can only wait and see what they say and in the event of an unimpaired border bounce I will let the visa run it's course.

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

When the borders do eventually open, it will be mayhem.

It depends on how long we are given to 'regularise'. There is no way they will demand that everyone makes their exit on day 1. And I use Mukdahan to exit, and about 95% of those who use that border are not 'farang, but Thais making a day trip and a few Lao going home. I've made quite a few hops there and never seen more than two or three others applying for the Lao visa in Savannakhet.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

6 hours ago, notmyself said:

Same though I have an unused 30 day extension which, I'm told, is still valid. The hospitality / tourism sector seem confident that a further amnesty will be given but how much of that confidence is based on desire rather than reasonable belief? I don't know. That being said their economic arguments are pretty good as are their health related ones. Fella a short while back asked the point of throwing out perfectly serviceable Covid free paying guests with no hope of filling their seat in the foreseeable future. It's been speculated that there could be a charge (1900 Baht?) for what would be an extension (90 days?) Perfectly reasonable but how would they collect the money without large gatherings of people at immigration offices come month end. Something HAS to happen, in my view. If it's just left to lapse then it could be chaos at Swampy come the end of the month 

There is also the question of who are those still here for tourist reasons and why. The media sometimes mentions being stranded but I don't see it. Previously yes but now no. What is left is a subgroup of people who can self sustain and thus contribute to the social pot.

My prediction is that they will announce on Monday that the present visa regulations will be extended until the 30th September.

Anyway.... good fortune and stay safe.

About your prediction, I hope your are right! I am here every day to see if the extension is confirmed. I'm pessimistic about it. But, I never thought they would extend it until July 31, so...

I agree with everything you say. The 99% of the tourists who are here can self sustain and they spend money in the country, like me, and like you, and if the amnesty is extended we will continue spending money, renting an apartment, paying the public transport, eating in restaurants, etc, etc, etc... It would not make sense to get rid of thousands of tourists who are free of covid19 and who give money to the country, to a country whose most important sector (tourism) is in crisis. I would like to stay here for some more months, I like the country, I like a lot Bangkok, and I think is one of the safest places right now.

About the unused 30 days extension, I don't know if will be still valid, they gave us 3 months of amnesty. In my case "I used" the extension, because I extended my 30 days, a month and a half before my visa ended, when the exception state was announced I decided to extend as soon as possible, it was a wrong decision. My tourist visa ended in the end of april, so I had the extension until the end of may, technically I did not use that extension but I paid 1900 bahts.

Edited by jonga80
nothing special
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

No. It's not a matter of spite. Some of us do not have particularly nice Immigration offices, do not want to pay agents, do not have wives who want to waste their time messing around all day with the yearly extension and who prefer a little drive to Myanmar every 90 days to get out of the house and see a little country.

Agree - was all-upside to NOT deal with crooked IOs, while staying here 100% legally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, salsajapan said:

Hundreds thousand people on amnesty won't be able to leave or visit immigration. Clearly extension will be announced soon. Only idiots do not understand this.

But that would be just kicking the can down the road.

What's needed is an extension (say to end of September) & a clear indication of what they expect to happen at the end of it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1