How many of us are actually on the Visa Amnesty until July 31?

How many of us are actually on the Visa Amnesty until July 31?  

234 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

But that would be just kicking the can down the road.

What's needed is an extension (say to end of September) & a clear indication of what they expect to happen at the end of it

by saying this you have no understanding why amnesty was in place, the purposed is to wait and get thing back to normalcy and for people to go back to whatever they are doing before, the world is burning right now, vietnam have the same scheme and they are planning to extend the amnesty till sept. that's what i have heard

Edited by clorox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, salsajapan said:

Hundreds thousand people on amnesty won't be able to leave or visit immigration. Clearly extension will be announced soon. Only idiots do not understand this.

The Amnesty was created to give people time to leave Thailand and get where they needed to go. The problem is so many people are using this to “live” inside Thailand. It’s completely different than what the immigration created it for. So they could think that March-July was enough time for whoever was in Thailand to figure out their plans and leave so there won’t be a point to keep extending it over and over

• Like 1

By looking at the poll there's nearly 50% of foreigners on the visa amnesty. Probably would be quite similar percentages of foreigners in Thailand as well. Imagine how <deleted> everyone will be if 50% of the foreigners don't have their amnesty extended.

I hope it will be extended.

This month is the first month of my overseas income being deposited into my own Thai bank account.

I think there are at least 2 months needed to apply for an annual extension based on marriage (Multi entry Non O expired in May, and hoping to be able to get an annual extension instead of getting another Visa outside of Thailand)

8 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Good luck with that plan.

When the amnesty was announced, there were an estimated 500,000 foreigners automatically covered.

Some have since left and found there way home, whilst others are now on it requiring border runs or new Visas once the borders open.

When the borders do eventually open, it will be mayhem.

Yes and no. IF they continue with the amnesty or some other legal extension until the borders re-open freely with no special requirements to meet and also flights resume, you'll have a choice of nearly 10 international airports to fly out from and reportedly 37 land border checkpoints. Should be plenty to handle the exodus of stranded foreigners, provided not everyone is required to leave the same day of course!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Yes and no. IF they continue with the amnesty or some other legal extension until the borders re-open freely with no special requirements to meet and also flights resume, you'll have a choice of nearly 10 international airports to fly out from and reportedly 37 land border checkpoints. Should be plenty to handle the exodus of stranded foreigners, provided not everyone is required to leave the same day of course!

Those that could have left on flights probably already have.

500,000 crossing at 37 land border, even over a 14 day grace period, would be almost 1,000 per day, per crossing.

2 hours ago, clorox said:

by saying this you have no understanding why amnesty was in place, the purposed is to wait and get thing back to normalcy and for people to go back to whatever they are doing before, the world is burning right now, vietnam have the same scheme and they are planning to extend the amnesty till sept. that's what i have heard

The amnesty was originally declared to give people some breathing space to sort out their basis for being/staying in Thailand and was extended when it became clear that 1 month was not going to be enough.

It's now clear that the extra 2 months isn't going to be enough, nor will extending it by another 2 months, hence my comment about "Kicking the can down the road". 

Thailand is unlikely to just continue extending the amnesty until things go back to "Pre-covid19 Normal" (if they ever do) so where do they draw the line about "Normal Enough"? Is it borders are open but you need insurance, proof of negative CV19 test etc... or is it when a vaccine is available & you have proof of immunisation? - Nobody knows hence my comment about it would be good for them to provide information about what will be expected at the end of the amnesty period.   

For EXAMPLE (I'm not saying that they should do this), they might say:-

1. Anybody on a Non-O (Multi or Single, Marriage or "Retirement" ) or Non-OA should look to get a 12 months extension 
  2. Anybody on a Non-B should get their companies to get them a 12 month extension 
  3. Anybody on a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa should make plans to leave the country (By this time they would would have been in-country for at least 7-8 months)
  4. Anybody in 1 who cannot get a 12 month extension or 3 should exit the country to get a new Visa & have X, Y, Z documents before re-entering. 

This lack of information about what's going to happen when the amnesty ends is causing unnecessary concern to a lot of people & the fact that we're just over 3 weeks away from the current deadline is making it worse so I would like to see them extend it by 2-3 months but provide more information about what they're expecting to happen at the end of the Amnesty (which is not necessarily the same as the end of this extended period) to give people an opportunity to make plans/arrangements.  

Oh & they should also be more clear about what happens with 90 day reports when the amnesty ends, how hard is it for them to say "Consider it done on the date it was due during the amnesty & plan to do your next one 90 days after that"?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

What's needed is an extension (say to end of September) & a clear indication of what they expect to happen at the end of it

They have no idea when the borders will reopen.

It was Lao, Cambodia, Myanmar that closed the borders to Thailand.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I have a non-o valid until April 2021

How did you manage to enter April 2020?

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

but my 90 days expired last month.

90 day reports suspended... no worries.

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

and now Air Asia has gone tits up (owing me 6k).

For everything else there's always the Samaritans.

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:
45 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

but my 90 days expired last month.

90 day reports suspended... no worries

Having a valid non-O, I think he was referring to not being able to do a 90 day border run..........not doing a 90 day report.

BritManToo said:

I have a non-o valid until April 2021

I think his non-O was valid from Feb/Mar 2020 and he's probably adding an extension at the end of it to get to April 2021.  

Edited by john terry1001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Having a valid non-O, I think he was referring to not being able to do a 90 day border run..........not doing a 90 day report.

I need to go to Specsavers, I read it as a Non O-A   ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

90 day reports suspended... no worries.

For everything else there's always the Samaritans.

I managed to get in from Mukdahan/Savannakhet on April 20th, back to back, on an e-visa to Laos dated April 16th, originally for Vientiane International Airport, and a Thai Non-Imm "O" ME. Scanned it and uploaded it, anonymized, somewhere on this forum. Lao border guy looked at me like he had seen a ghost, then called his general; friendly, big broad smile, I was not his problem anyway. Guys on the Thai border had a giggle, too.

Lasted to June 17th, now on amnesty. There will always be "The Last Of The Mohikans" around here.

How many foreigners in Thailand

Well if they entered or left legally could be up to 3 million+ plus refugees.plus mnay more from neighbouring countries who may have entered overland illegally.Plus any overstayers.I doubt anyone has a completely accurate figure

As of August 2019, there were 2,877,144 registered migrant workers in Thailand (Ministry of Labour, 2019 plus all those long time holiday hoppers plus all those on METV , journalists , diplomats , monks, teachers, lecturers, tourists, Married to Thai and others

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 9:40 AM, G950 said:

I totally agree with all of this. The group that is left are a nomadic bunch that add to the economy, and with the Thai economy forecast to contract 15% in the previous quarter, it is a valuable all be it small add to the economy by having this group stay. Every little bit helps though at the moment.

My prediction is they will announce on Wednesday 15th, but it may require some some paperwork to be lodged and perhaps a Covid Visa Fee. It would be nice if you could just fill out a form, lodge and pay at local Police station rather than visiting immigration. 

For sure. There is also a possible benefit in that people who are here may entice others to come visit.... when they can. Free advertising really. 

7-11 etc. They already use passports for PAYG Sims so the ability is there. Crazy as I am... I can imagine a green sign outside Family saying 'Extension available here.... free WIFI'

Added extra content lol.... 15th is getting late to inform people. I would ask what they possibly think can happen between now and then.

Stay safe, keep well and good fortune. 

5 hours ago, notmyself said:

7-11 etc. They already use passports for PAYG Sims so the ability is there. Crazy as I am... I can imagine a green sign outside Family saying 'Extension available here.... free WIFI'

Way too much sense to allow 7-11 payments.  But, how would the agent-envelopes work that way?  Figure out that part, and it could become reality.

5 hours ago, notmyself said:

Added extra content lol.... 15th is getting late to inform people. I would ask what they possibly think can happen between now and then.

They are thinking, the closer the deadline comes, and with "clear out" statements, like from the "Immigration Spokesman" today, more will get desperate and pay agents.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 9:21 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

It depends on how long we are given to 'regularise'. There is no way they will demand that everyone makes their exit on day 1. And I use Mukdahan to exit, and about 95% of those who use that border are not 'farang, but Thais making a day trip and a few Lao going home. I've made quite a few hops there and never seen more than two or three others applying for the Lao visa in Savannakhet.

Yeah I go that route. I love Savanakhet.

• Like 2