Couple of questions about border runs

Never had to do a border run before, so couple of questions..

1. Are any land borders open yet or do we know if they will open by July 31?

2. How long extra stay does a border run get you, 1 week or 2?

3. Is there a limit of one border run after your visa has expired?

Thanks 

No land borders open at the moment and no ones knows when they will open 

You get 30 days on a visa exempt, which can be extended for a further 30 more days for 1900 Baht .

You can do two land border runs per calendar year

What passport do you have ?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

No land borders open at the moment and no ones knows when they will open 

You get 30 days on a visa exempt, which can be extended for a further 30 more days for 1900 Baht .

You can do two land border runs per calendar year

What passport do you have ?

Hungary. I was here on an MEV which expired May. so just been taking advantage of the amnesty.

It's a frustrating situation because I don't know if I need to leave on a flight by the 31st or if the land border will be open, which would be preferable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, csaba81 said:

Hungary. I was here on an MEV which expired May. so just been taking advantage of the amnesty.

It's a frustrating situation because I don't know if I need to leave on a flight by the 31st or if the land border will be open, which would be preferable.

you will just have to wait and see is amnesty will be extend, no one knows anything to help you

10 hours ago, csaba81 said:

Very unlikely land borders open prior to July 31. Perhaps amnesty will be extended.

Even if borders open (as mentioned by others) the reentry requirements may be difficult. The 14 day quarantine will be around for some time as it's currently required for Thai nationals returning and the first group on "the list" for entry to Thailand. PR holders, married folk etc.

The requirements are very difficult. 

How would quarantine work at land borders. Not possible. 

You need plan B. Have you even looked at flights back to Europe. Seems many here under amnesty being pretty casual with their exit plans. 

Personally I wouldn't even count on visa exempt being available. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 10:48 PM, jackdd said:

It's 99.99% certain that a tourist will not be able to enter Thailand through a land border this month.

That's if they come from another country , but what if they come from here and only need to do the out/in . Your reply is just made to bash(or scare the people that are in this situation) . Your 99,99% is a bit strange as well , if you are so sure why don't make it a 100% . 

• Like 1

Ideally,  those with valid Multiple-Entry Visas, or those which expired (enter before date) during the amnesty, could:
 - Get another 60/90-days at immigration for 1900 Baht

- Exit at a land-border, doing an in/out in the next country, and immediately returning to Thailand

For the 2nd option, Thailand could station their own people to monitor, so those doing this only go immediately out/back, without entering the other country beyond the border-station.  This opition would only be needed if they "just can't" let us do this at immigration, for whatever bureaucratic / legal / other reason.

Even better, would be setting up temporary Thai consulate services right on the border, to handle same-day applications - at least for Non-O or Non-B visas.  Again - only necessary if they will not let us do the same in-country.

5 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

but what if they come from here and only need to do the out/in

There is no special out/in process, it doesn't matter if you have been out of Thailand 5 minutes or 5 months, the rules apply on every entry.

6 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Your reply is just made to bash(or scare the people that are in this situation)

Sorry if you are afraid of the truth.

7 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Your 99,99% is a bit strange as well , if you are so sure why don't make it a 100% .

Because I'm not the prime minister, and don't know 100% what the government will do, i can only estimate it.

13 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

For the 2nd option, Thailand could station their own people to monitor, so those doing this only go immediately out/back, without entering the other country beyond the border-station.  This opition would only be needed if they "just can't" let us do this at immigration, for whatever bureaucratic / legal / other reason.

Even better, would be setting up temporary Thai consulate services right on the border, to handle same-day applications - at least for Non-O or Non-B visas.  Again - only necessary if they will not let us do the same in-country.

Or, instead of going through the totally pointless pantomime, they could extend the amnesty.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Ideally,  those with valid Multiple-Entry Visas, or those which expired (enter before date) during the amnesty, could:

- Exit at a land-border, doing an in/out in the next country, and immediately returning to Thailand

First, so there is no misunderstanding, I in no way am criticising those who use in/out trips on a multiple entry visa to extend their stays. They are doing nothing wrong.

Immigration has rather frowned on people using (especially serial) border bounces as a way of extending your stay in Thailand. While not in any way illegal, many (I would say most) in immigration feel it is against the spirit of the regulations, and people staying for lengthy periods ought to be getting extensions from an immigration office.

Because of that attitude, I would be very surprised if special arrangements are made to facilitate border runs for those on multiple entry visas. The fact that some people want it is not going to cut much ice with the decision makers. Either borders will be open without quarantine (a travel bubble) or they will be closed. I do not anticipate a travel bubble this month or next, but they may exist by September.

What will be done after July 31st for those who do not qualify for regular extensions we will need to wait and see.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Or, instead of going through the totally pointless pantomime, they could extend the amnesty.

Yes, just looking for face-saving solutions.  Letting us "get away" with spending money here - or especially the horror of supporting a Thai family (Gasp) - absent making us suffer and/or pay them off to do it, seems to be a problem.  Maybe if we agree to a public-flogging for each 30-days, that would satisfy their thirst.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Immigration has rather frowned on people using (especially serial) border bounces as a way of extending your stay in Thailand.

Yes, the last IO I dealt with told me it was "criminal." 

I suppose that means, "How am I supposed to support myself on just my salary, if others do this?"

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Because of that attitude, I would be very surprised if special arrangements are made to facilitate border runs for those on multiple entry visas.

I agree.  Hopefully someone higher in the food-chain will override immigration / rtp - but not holding my breath.

On 7/6/2020 at 10:48 PM, jackdd said:

It's 99.99% certain that a tourist will not be able to enter Thailand through a land border this month.

This is correct unless, I believe, you are a "medical tourist" with the necessary paperwork to visit a Thai hospital.

11 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Second option might work at Phu Nam Ron, Kanchanaburi where they normally allow this anyway. But it won't happen until the two sides iron out a local agreement, which I don't see happening until next month at the earliest and even that's pure speculation on my part.

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

Because of that attitude, I would be very surprised if special arrangements are made to facilitate border runs for those on multiple entry visas. The fact that some people want it is not going to cut much ice with the decision makers. Either borders will be open without quarantine (a travel bubble) or they will be closed. I do not anticipate a travel bubble this month or next, but they may exist by September.

What will be done after July 31st for those who do not qualify for regular extensions we will need to wait and see.

I disagree. Both the Thai and Myanmar sides can make money off of it. I see there being a good chance Phu Nam Ron might allow border runs before other options become available but possibly ONLY for those holding existing multi entry visas.

10 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

This is correct unless, I believe, you are a "medical tourist" with the necessary paperwork to visit a Thai hospital.

I have a strong suspicion that simple medical tourism was never supposed to be a valid reason for crossing the border without quarantine. The intention was to allow medical evacuation in an emergency for life saving treatment. Doubtless, justifications are passed to officials at the border in thick brown envelopes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

I have a strong suspicion that simple medical tourism was never supposed to be a valid reason for crossing the border without quarantine. The intention was to allow medical evacuation in an emergency for life saving treatment. Doubtless, justifications are passed to officials at the border in thick brown envelopes.

Either way, apparently this is precisely what happened at the Chong Chom border in Surin recently. Cambodians crossing the border in the normal way, to go to the hospital and allowed to bring the entire family and drive their own vehicles, without being supervised or tracked.

• Like 2