UK Post Office COVID Health Insurance

VBF

123.jpg.1fe1182978a44a0181efae60589586cc.jpg

Quote:

For any new policy you buy or new trip booked covered by an existing annual multi-trip policy on or after 12 March 2020, we’ll still cover any medical claims due to coronavirus if you’re travelling to an area where there’s no Foreign and Commonwealth office (FCO) or Government advice against travel.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-insurance?campaignid=ppc~ti~PO_Prospecting_Travel+Insurance+Brand_Core_EM~GOOGLE~ac~prosp~PO_Prospecting_Travel+Insurance_Brand_Core_EM~brand~post+office+travel+insurance&gclid=CjwKCAjwrvv3BRAJEiwAhwOdM_IHmRiXGaNVLy1i0BQsQ2paWXUY_P4zT2ktVKHz5_fgnMSWCOvt8BoCyL0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have NOT:

Checked limits (IE WILL IT COVER YOU FOR THE $100,000 THE THAI GOVERNMENT REQUIRES?)

Checked whether it applies only to UK residents

Checked the "small print"

If anyone investigates this further and finds more details PLEASE POST YOUR FINDINGS HERE

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

quote attached for a 28 day trip to Thailand in August/september for a 65 year old with no medical conditions

edit normal resident of UK for 6months, not spent more than 6 months abroad in the last yearUK doctor etc. apply

image.png.b9dd37b268bdba8b0ec176d188e2b3a3.png

you must have COVID coverage or you won't get into Thailand.

UPDATE to my OP regarding the Post Office Insurance:

412958212_CVCapture.JPG.7664632842f8b8d5ce26f46f2a84205e.JPG

From the above i infer that ALL medical expenses would be covered - I sat on the phone for 40 minutes to confirm that but they're too busy to answer ????

Also https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-insurance-faqs  may be useful

NOTE - you DO have to be UK-resident to apply.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Now that the FCO travel advisory has been lifted for Thailand this looks like a good find. 

A key factor would be the availability of a Certificate of Insurance which states the insured is covered for treatment of conditions related to Covid-19 up to (or over) US$100,000. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Now that the FCO travel advisory has been lifted for Thailand this looks like a good find. 

A key factor would be the availability of a Certificate of Insurance which states the insured is covered for treatment of conditions related to Covid-19 up to (or over) US$100,000. 

From my #4 it appears that it's unlimited - as I said, when I can confirm with them, I shall.

If anyone else manages to get through and ask PO, or decides to email please do update this topic.

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you have a link to clarify FCO travel advisory has been lifted for travel to Thailand ?

My wife is on extension of stay she is stuck in the UK due to the virus as she went home to see our daughters new born before all hell let loose her BA July flight was cancelled as was her May and June flight as for the new requirements by the Thai government good luck on that its nigh on impossible to get hold of $100,000 insurance stipulating Corona 19 cover as well as the verification of fit to fly certificate that can’t be older than 72 hours before your departure after weeks of trying she hasn’t managed to get either.

4796BAC4-DEF5-4ACB-B392-11DB8B9556DC.jpeg

FCD14192-9289-45E1-B7C4-98994FF3E042.jpeg

302F1CD0-CB05-4679-9D65-1902C69B46EF.jpeg

Edited by crazykopite

15 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Do you have a link to clarify FCO travel advisory has been lifted for travel to Thailand ?

How incredible that you cannot find something that prominent, yet can post here on a forum!

As it's an important issue, I'll do your 1-second Google search for you

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

You're welcome????

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

My wife is on extension of stay she is stuck in the UK due to the virus as she went home to see our daughters new born before all hell let loose her BA July flight was cancelled as was her May and June flight as for the new requirements by the Thai government good luck on that its nigh on impossible to get hold of $100,000 insurance stipulating Corona 19 cover as well as the verification of fit to fly certificate that can’t be older than 72 hours before your departure after weeks of trying she hasn’t managed to get either.

<snipped image for clarity>

You may find that as she currently has a UK address, she could get this PO insurance. She may have to  be "economical with the truth" when applying.????

As @Fairynuff said above, a claim would probably fail, but it might satisfy the Thai authorities for entry which is all you need.

And, a thought occurs.....if she already had insurance for her trip TO the UK, that MIGHT still be valid if it was taken out in time  - worth a check?

Sadly neither of my comments help you with the other requirements.

Edited by VBF

24 minutes ago, VBF said:

How incredible that you cannot find something that prominent, yet can post here on a forum!

As it's an important issue, I'll do your 1-second Google search for you

You're welcome????

Of recent the U.K. government were advising against all international travel except for business, I never read about the announcement that they had changed there policy more so if you return from Thailand to the U.K. you are advised to self quarantine for 14 days.

3 minutes ago, treetops said:

Several UK insurance companies offering Covid cover now.  This is moneysavingexpert.com's best buy table:

image.png.76482c1411612f84870c2b314f82c5d6.png

Thing to check is whether the medical is for at least $100,000 - if not it's not going to work for Thailand

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Thing to check is whether the medical is for at least $100,000 - if not it's not going to work for Thailand

To get in the table they have to meet certain criteria, one of which is medical cover of £2,000,000 GBP, so well more than required for Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Post replaced:

7 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Of recent the U.K. government were advising against all international travel except for business, I never read about the announcement that they had changed there policy more so if you return from Thailand to the U.K. you are advised to self quarantine for 14 days.

Then sign up for automatic email alerts at:

Edited by Enoon

On 7/8/2020 at 9:46 PM, Enoon said:

Then sign up for automatic email alerts at:

Yes - did that back in March while still in Thailand and deciding whether to "bail". It was probably from one of those emails that I found out about the (then) FCO advice against all essential travel, which led to my buying a new flight and subsequently claiming for it on insurance. I say "probably" because i think it's my responsibility to keep abreast of the situation - this email makes it easier,

Unfortunately, the policy I have now doesn't cover Covid now it's a known event hence exploring new ones and the creation of THIS thread.

TBH, there's no point in doing anything unless and until we're officially able to travel to Thailand; i'm just looking to the future.

A DEVELOPMENT!

It appears that the Nationwide FlexPlus insurance that I currently hold is now better than the Post Office one I showed in my OP.

Nationwide WERE refusing all new trips - those booked after 18th March.

Since the FCO removed its "do not travel" advice, the Nationwide is now saying:

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/travel/important-travel-information#xtab:twistyitem-if-i-book-a-trip-now-will-i-be-covered-for-coronavirus

Scroll down to Questions you might have

Whilst the PO one only covers medical claims, the NW policy now includes cover for Medical and Curtailment thus:

image.png.775988cf6c0e197dbfdd85a8923650e9.png

And also……

image.png.768a06b85482d39ad108fa13df3fcdb1.png

I'm rather glad I didn't cancel it now! ????

NOTE: You must have a Nationwide FlexPlus account to get this insurance - the account attracts a £13 / month fee but there are a couple of other benefits.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/flexplus/features-and-benefits   

Note that the banner on this page is incorrect where it says "If you open a new FlexPlus account, you will not be covered for Coronavirus related travel claims."

I didn't understand that as it contradicts what I've posted above - NW assure me that the banner is out of date and needs to be changed - in fact they thanked me for alerting them to it!

Edited by VBF

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2020 at 6:24 PM, VBF said:

From the above i infer that ALL medical expenses would be covered - I sat on the phone for 40 minutes to confirm that but they're too busy to answer ????

Also https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-insurance-faqs  may be useful

NOTE - you DO have to be UK-resident to apply.

There is a contentious issue here.

If you have a mild or even completely asymptomatic case of COVID in Thailand then it is still going to require an expensive and possibly long hospital stay until you test negative - that could take a month.

This is going to be the big problem here because in any other country they tell you to stay at home and don't mix with other people and come back to them if you get really ill.

They're locking people away in hospitals until they 'recover' - and that's expensive. Insurance companies aren't going to pay for that unless you're really and actually ill.

The whole scheme is doomed to complete and utter failure.

Edited by ukrules

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

There is a contentious issue here.

If you have a mild or even completely asymptomatic case of COVID in Thailand then it is still going to require an expensive and possibly long hospital stay until you test negative - that could take a month.

This is going to be the big problem here because in any other country they tell you to stay at home and don't mix with other people and come back to them if you get really ill.

They're locking people away in hospitals until they 'recover' - and that's expensive. Insurance companies aren't going to pay for that unless you're really and actually ill.

The whole scheme is doomed to complete and utter failure.

I disagree. The insurance wording covers that. Do please examine the links I've posted in #4 and #21.

Bear in mind that in the scenario you've outlined, one would have been deemed to have contracted CV whilst travelling so all expenses should be covered.

In any event, I would / will(?) get that in writing from Nationwide (my chosen policy) before travelling. 

13 minutes ago, VBF said:

I disagree. The insurance wording covers that. Do please examine the links I've posted in #4 and #21.

Bear in mind that in the scenario you've outlined, one would have been deemed to have contracted CV whilst travelling so all expenses should be covered.

In any event, I would / will(?) get that in writing from Nationwide (my chosen policy) before travelling. 

Emergency treatment is covered based on what I read, I'm not reading the whole policies.

What part of not being ill at all but testing positive (as the vast majority of people do) and then 'recovering' is an emergency which the insurance company will gladly hand over what might be 10 to 20 thousand pounds to keep you locked up in an isolation hospital for a month until you test negative?

Everyone goes to hospital in Thailand if they have COVID, it's not like almost every other country in the world because they never did move on from the initial stages of infection here, it's still regarded as the same way the UK would treat COVID back in February. If you tested positive back in the UK in February you were sent to a special isolation hospital - they're still doing that here.

Edited by ukrules

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Emergency treatment is covered based on what I read, I'm not reading the whole policies.

What part of not being ill at all but testing positive (as the vast majority of people do) and then 'recovering' is an emergency which the insurance company will gladly hand over what might be 10 to 20 thousand pounds to keep you locked up in an isolation hospital for a month until you test negative?

Everyone goes to hospital in Thailand if they have COVID, it's not like almost every other country in the world because they never did move on from the initial stages of infection here, it's still regarded as the same way the UK would treat COVID back in February. If you tested positive back in the UK in February you were sent to a special isolation hospital - they're still doing that here.

I take your point but I still think that any illness or effects therefrom suffered when travelling is covered. I did read the whole policy and no, I'm not reading it again now either!

BUT, I also said above "In any event, I would / will(?) get that in writing from Nationwide (my chosen policy) before travelling. 

Presently it's moot, as we tourists ain't getting into Thailand, but by the time we can, you can bet that rules will have changed.....several times probably!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VBF said:

I take your point but I still think that any illness or effects therefrom suffered when travelling is covered. I did read the whole policy and no, I'm not reading it again now either!

BUT, I also said above "In any event, I would / will(?) get that in writing from Nationwide (my chosen policy) before travelling. 

Presently it's moot, as we tourists ain't getting into Thailand, but by the time we can, you can bet that rules will have changed.....several times probably!

Bit of a scam in some respects they know you have Health Insurance so a nice little earner, when did the last person on a repatriation flight who was hospitalised die, I don’t remember any ?

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Bit of a scam in some respects they know you have Health Insurance so a nice little earner, when did the last person on a repatriation flight who was hospitalised die, I don’t remember any ?

Well it's not a scam as such - or at least only against the terminally lazy / stupid!

People who have insurance will just ignore it, and show their own insurance in its place.