BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

This Man Warned Friends On Facebook Against Not Wearing A Face Mask Like He Did. The Next Day He Died Of COVID-19

Thomas Macias knew he messed up. It was getting harder for him to take each breath. So he opened up Facebook and wrote a warning to his friends.

"This is no joke," he wrote on June 20 as his COVID-19 symptoms took a turn for the worst. "If you have to go out wear a mask and practice social distancing. Don't be a <deleted> idiot like me."

The next day, he died of COVID-19.

The 51-year-old trucker from Lake Elsinore, California, had been cautious during the pandemic, practicing social distancing and wearing a mask because he had diabetes and was concerned about his elderly mother, his niece, Brianna Lopez, told BuzzFeed News.

But as the state started to loosen restrictions and opening up restaurants, Lopez said her uncle started to feel like he too could relax, and that it was now safer to meet with friends. So he decided to go to a barbecue with friends.

"I <deleted> up and went out a couple of weeks ago and I contracted the corona virus," Macias wrote in his Facebook post, which has since been turned private.

Macias had started to feel sick a few days later, Lopez said, but he thought he was just feeling under the weather because of his diabetes. He had gone to visit his mother and sisters, and his siblings had noted he looked tired and sweaty.

Then a friend who had attended the same barbecue told Macias they had tested positive for the coronavirus, and that he should get tested as well.

The friend, Lopez said, told Macias he thought it was fine for them to go out because they were asymptomatic, and didn't believe they could infect anyone if they weren't feeling sick. Health officials have warned, however, that the virus can be transmitted even if patients never exhibit symptoms of COVID-19.

Lopez said her uncle was immediately concerned, not just for his health, but because he worried he had put his family at risk.

"Because of my stupidity I put my mom and sisters and my family's health in jeopardy," Macias wrote. "This has been a very painful experience."

Before his symptoms worsened, Lopez said, that was her uncle's biggest concern.

"My uncle, he always put everyone ahead of himself," Lopez said.

Her grandmother and aunts all tested negative for the virus, but Lopez said Macias' symptoms worsened the Saturday that he wrote the Facebook post. He called his siblings and told them he was having trouble breathing.

"He was starting to feel better on Friday, and then Saturday he called saying he was having a really hard time breathing," she said. "That's when it took a turn for the worst."

On June 21, he called his mother from the hospital.

"She just kept saying, 'You're going to be fine, Tommy. We're going to see you when you get out of this,'" Lopez said. "But he didn't."

Since then, his message on Facebook has been covered on multiple local and national media outlets, noting the eery timing of his death just hours after posting the somber warning.

But Lopez said she feels the message has also resonated with people because her uncle seemed to have taken responsibility for his mistake, and his concern that he might have infected loved ones even as his symptoms worsened.

"He acknowledged that it was dumb of him to go out in the first place," she said.

FULL ARTICLE

Posted (edited)

RIP.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but sadly not a life saver.

Edited by Denim

A radical leftist fake news story.

But really though:

4 hours ago, Thaivisa Web Content Team said:

The 51-year-old trucker from Lake Elsinore, California, had been cautious during the pandemic, practicing social distancing and wearing a mask because he had diabetes and was concerned about his elderly mother, his niece, Brianna Lopez, told BuzzFeed News.

But as the state started to loosen restrictions and opening up restaurants, Lopez said her uncle started to feel like he too could relax, and that it was now safer to meet with friends. So he decided to go to a barbecue with friends.

If not for all this nonsense from the politicians this guy wouldn't have relaxed his precautions and would still be alive. 

but but but but....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bendejo said:

A radical leftist fake news story.

But really though:

If not for all this nonsense from the politicians this guy wouldn't have relaxed his precautions and would still be alive. 

but but but but....

Nothing different from annual influenza.  A small proportion die of complications.  It happens.  

The odd story of a younger person dying directly from a virus is quite normal when it comes to it.  It doesn't justify total global lockdown. 

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I imagine obesity and non activity 12 hours in a truck played a heavy part in this man's downfall.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

More scaremongering, diabetes and maybe overweight too. Everyone is responsible for their own health.

9 minutes ago, 4reaL said:

Mainly yes, but young healthy people are also taking a turn for the worse with this 

biological warfare strain that can ravage anyone.

Statistically it doesn't.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Statistically it doesn't.  

Nor does blowing your brains out playing Russian Roulette.

Any other questions ? 

2 minutes ago, 4reaL said:

Any other questions ? 

I would rather debate than close the debate down.

I quite respect your posts and guess this isn't like you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4reaL said:

100% I contracted C19 back in February in the UK.  No doubt.  

I'm early 50s and relatively healthy and was a strange virus, no doubt.  Nothing too bad happened and I got over it.

This is a virus that's going to affect the infirm, disabled, diabetics and those of weak immune systems.  The common annual influenza also majorly affects the infirm, disabled, diabetics and those of weak immune systems.  

It's not Russian Roulette as it's here and will either die out or become a seasonal virus.  

34 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

100% I contracted C19 back in February in the UK.  No doubt.  

I'm early 50s and relatively healthy and was a strange virus, no doubt.  Nothing too bad happened and I got over it.

This is a virus that's going to affect the infirm, disabled, diabetics and those of weak immune systems.  The common annual influenza also majorly affects the infirm, disabled, diabetics and those of weak immune systems.  

It's not Russian Roulette as it's here and will either die out or become a seasonal virus.  

Same here, but in BKK last December, persistant cough for 2 weeks after meeting a girl for dinner who had a fever/virus the week before.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I imagine obesity and non activity 12 hours in a truck played a heavy part in this man's downfall.

What would that "non-activity" be, sleeping?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, torturedsole said:

Nothing different from annual influenza.  A small proportion die of complications.  It happens.  

The odd story of a younger person dying directly from a virus is quite normal when it comes to it.  It doesn't justify total global lockdown. 

Just more deliberate lying, so common these days. 

Last flu season 18/19 34,00 died, we are already over 130,000 dead and six  months to go with Wuhan. Oh right and It did not really begin until March. So Wuhan 19 is significantly more lethal, with a good percentage of those that survive experiencing  ongoing problems after recovery. (us stats)

Edited by LomSak27

4 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Just more deliberate lying, so common these days. 

Last flu season 18/19 34,00 died, we are already over 130,000 dead and six  months to go with Wuhan. Oh right and It did not really begin until March. So Wuhan 19 is significantly more lethal, with a good percentage of those that survive experiencing  ongoing complications after recovery.

UK statistics don't support your argument.

• Like 1

Just now, torturedsole said:

UK statistics don't support your argument.

The original OP was about a US case, not UK. Comparing apples to pudding never works.

Any other deflections?!