Thailand says monkey labour 'almost non-existent' after UK shop ban

webfact

17 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I am totally against abuse and exploitation of animals, but I won't stop hunting, nor eating meat and dairy products

What a bizarre statement.  That is called cognitive dissonance.  If you don't consider your own comments to conflict,  maybe this PETA video can help highlight the abuse and exploitation.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1029455440762452&id=819725808402084

22 hours ago, Susco said:

My house is surrounded by coconut trees, and they get picked frequently.

I've never seen monkey or humans climb up the trees, as they use a very long bamboo stick to cut the coconuts, and yes I estimate that those sticks are more than 15 meters long.

Exactly. Acres of coconut trees around here, we have half a dozen, and I haven't seen any monkeys used for collection.

Quite obvious that many do not seem to understand that animals can be trained without any cruelty being involved but as in any business there is always an unsavoury element.

You only have to look around the RSPCA holding units, or watch their documentaries to see the extent of animal cruelty in a so called civilised society. Bojo and his partner should pay more attention to what is happening in their own back yard regarding both human and animal cruelty before mouthing off at others.

Our mission is to improve the lives of all animals, our main focus is to end the cruelty that animals suffer.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/endcruelty

8 hours ago, geisha said:

Sorry Yinn ,  but Thailand has a very bad reputation concerning animals, zoos , parading beautiful elephants in traffic and often in chains. Very often you see Thai families who have dogs in cages, please don’t deny this, you will not be credible.

People need to keep things in perspective. You have to remember that Thailand is a relatively "new" society as far as the west is concerned.

The west was not without it's barbaric practices. In the pre EU directives era I went to a gite in Normandy on an Easter weekend. There was a big market on the Sunday and the farmer was going to sell the ducks. I was having a wander around and heard a commotion from a long shed and went to have a look. Down the centre of the shed was a conveyor track, at one end there was an old woman with boxes of ducks and she was looping a piece of string around their neck and hanging them on the conveyor, by the time the duck had come back round it was dead, thrown into the empty box and loaded on the van. Legislative progress has since banned various practices in the EU and in due course similar moves will come about in Thailand.

When I first came here elephants were very common in the towns. Must be 10 years since the last time I saw one in built up area, outside a restaurant in Bang Saen, there was a thunderclap and the elephant ran into the restaurant, tables went flying and everyone scattered. Good thing times have changed.

Unfortunately cultural changes are not something that can happen overnight and there will always be opposition, look at the fox hunting debate in the UK.

This is utter nonsense.

I saw at least three monkeys on coconut trucks the other day in Koh Samui The monkeys are expected to get around 500 coconuts by some owners and they get totally exhausted, often dying whilst they are up the tree or on the truck.... the amount is just too much for them.

Maybe the government needs to step in and  explore more humane ways of harvesting coconuts.

Considering  half of UK isn't even run by UK not really surprising.

Terrorists get into England get houses and living allowance but a monkey climbing a tree to get a coconut must be stopped at all cost

Pathetic England glad I left I not paying taxes for my money to got to scum charities  that I have no say in

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 8:24 AM, sandyf said:

You only have to look around the RSPCA holding units, or watch their documentaries to see the extent of animal cruelty in a so called civilised society. Bojo and his partner should pay more attention to what is happening in their own back yard regarding both human and animal cruelty before mouthing off at others.

It is happening in their back yard though.

Products that exploit animals for profit in Thailand were being sold at British retailers.

11 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Products that exploit animals for profit in Thailand were being sold at British retailers.

So you believe it is more important that time and resources are spent on telling customers what they can or cannot buy rather than deal with domestic injustices.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

So you believe it is more important that time and resources are spent on telling customers what they can or cannot buy rather than deal with domestic injustices.

Nice try at a strawman.

I believe animals should not be exploited for profit. 

On 7/7/2020 at 7:11 AM, Yinn said:

Is Carrie a vegan? 

Safer for monkeys do it than human. Burmese people will die now. Sure. Carrie should think. 

I think she low knowledge. The old tree is to high for the stick.

And

“On 4 April 2020, Symonds announced on Twitter that she was in recovery after experiencing symptoms of coronavirus and spending a week in bed. She was not tested for the disease.” 

Boris positive, why not test Carrie? Carrie spread coronavirus?

Carrie doesn't live here anymore!     PML

17 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Nice try at a strawman.

I believe animals should not be exploited for profit. 

Neither should humans, but it is all about priorities. 

If you tried to deal with all exploitation then the UK stores would be virtually empty.

On 7/9/2020 at 9:22 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

What about horses they  are used for racing and transport. Animals have been used for work all over the place.

Stupid UK

It's sinful to use monkeys for labor but you can kill screaming cows, pigs, sheep, chickens for food? LOL

Has anybody here even watched how the animals felt minutes before they were slaughtered? I have and it's not pretty.

There are many videos on Youtube.

Edited by warcy

Might offend the PETA mindset, but those around the world who evidently put their lives on the line to look after our natural resources, often pay a higher price than monkeys picking coconuts.  I'm not saying the latter is not pertinent, but it's a question of relativities and perspective. 

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391327?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

On 7/15/2020 at 8:08 PM, warcy said:

It's sinful to use monkeys for labor but you can kill screaming cows, pigs, sheep, chickens for food? LOL

Has anybody here even watched how the animals felt minutes before they were slaughtered? I have and it's not pretty.

There are many videos on Youtube.

All I'm concerned with is how the meat taste. Growing up on a farm I have slaughtered plenty of cows pigs and chickens