Thailand says monkey labour 'almost non-existent' after UK shop ban

webfact

Just now, Huckenfell said:

Yes, this is how they harvest the lower trees.

You think Samui is the only place in Thailand that has large trees?

Like I said, I don't know the exact size of the trees surrounding my house at 3 sides, but I know that the high voltage poles are 12 meter, and most trees are almost double that height.

Does that sound like a low tree?

6 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

...so will they ban lamb chops because they use dogs to round up the sheep?

Or will they ban lamb chops just maybe because they kill the innocent little lamb. Just in case some don't know,  those little lamb chops that come wrapped neatly in plastic,  were sourced from a baby animal that had it's life taken.

Oh and because they use dogs to round up sheep of course.

FB_IMG_1563943235226.jpg

I just don't get it?? What is wrong with using monkeys to harvest coconuts in the first place? They ride "slave" houses in the UK don't they? They "use" slave dogs and cats to comfort people. They use "slave" bloodhounds to track people. They have "slave" birds and "slave" fish for novelty pets. Are the coconut "Slave Monkeys" abused or mistreated? How did such and accomplished people as the Brits fall off the deep succumb to such total silliness? 

OMG get the grip! I know that the people of the UK are sometimes a bit quirky (to say the least) but come on....

4 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Almost unbelieveable this story is for real,, 

I love the statement where the Minister is going to explain "thailand way of life" to the UK. I could just hear the comment "farang don't understand Thailand". Or could the more likely situation be Thailand displays unacceptable behaviour regarding animal cruelty that has no place in the modern world. 

I also wonder when they are going to be pressured to finally stop exploiting animals like the elephants and tigers at a certain park I once frequented. 

I have been in Thailand for 15 years now and as a somewhat naive Tourist went Elephant riding, but I am also a keen horse rider and looked at it in the same light.  However, as I became more informed at some of the unpleasant methods used to train these majestic beasts, I stopped riding elephants and advised our Guests to go to the elephant sanctuaries to see these wonderful animals in a tranquile and peaceful environment.  Uneducated Thais can be cruel to animals, as can an element of the UK citizens.  I do however feel that Boris's young lady should do more research before engaging mouth before brain and just because she spouts an opinion, does not make it completely true.  I have seen the monkeys gathering coconuts and they look quite happy doing so.  Boris, you need to keep that young lady under control........please!

Edited by robertson468
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Expat Tom said:

I just don't get it?? What is wrong with using monkeys to harvest coconuts in the first place? They ride "slave" houses in the UK don't they? They "use" slave dogs and cats to comfort people. They use "slave" bloodhounds to track people. They have "slave" birds and "slave" fish for novelty pets. Are the coconut "Slave Monkeys" abused or mistreated? How did such and accomplished people as the Brits fall off the deep succumb to such total silliness? 

OMG get the grip! I know that the people of the UK are sometimes a bit quirky (to say the least) but come on....

Monkeys aren't domesticated animals like dogs and cats. Monkeys are wild and belong in the wild. Birds don't belong in cages either. Dogs that track people are well treated and love their work. Dogs know accomplishment. Pets aren't slaves if they are well treated.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You have the option to not buy products that profit from animal exploitation same as British retailers have the option not to stock or sell them.

I'm curious, how do you gauge happiness in a monkey from a few seconds interaction and next to no anthropological or zoological knowledge whatsoever?

Common sense mate, get some and you will be able to see beyond yer nose !

34 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Doesn't matter what you call it, products that profit from animal exploitation in Thailand will not be sold at British retailers.

US and EU will no doubt follow suit.

Time to industrialise or perish. 

How do you know it is explotation from several thousand miles away ?

3 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

I have been in Thailand for 15 years now and as a somewhat naive Tourist went Elephant riding, but I am also a keen horse rider and looked at it in the same light.  However, as I became more informed at some of the unpleasant methods used to train these majestic beasts, I stopped riding elephants and advised our Guests to go to the elephant sanctuaries to see these wonderful animals in a tranquile and peaceful environment.  Uneducated Thais can be cruel to animals, as can an element of the UK citizens.  I do however feel that Boris's young lady should do more research before engaging mouth before brain and just because she spouts an opinion, does not make it completely true.  I have seen the monkeys gathering coconuts and they look quite happy doing so.  Boris, you need to keep that young lady under control........please!

There are probably cruel people in every country in the world when it comes to harming animals, but if you are trying to say that the UK do no better at protecting animals then Thailand, sorry but you are delusional. i don;t know the entire story about these monkeys but I do know how badly Thailand treat animals and see no harm in it as long as they are making money. As a once naive tourist I'm surprised you don't see this as well.. Just because it was Boris's girlfriend does not make it untrue and there must be evidence behind it for the supermarkets to strip the Thai products from the shelves.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

OK, ok.  Hold the COVID news.  

We really need to get this monkey <deleted> sorted out.  

Is there any way that I can get coconut oil made from albino pygmy midgets?  I'm into that.  Like REALLY REALLY into that.  

Waaaaa.  you racist.      lolololo

4 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Common sense?! Thailand has a terrible reputation for animal cruelty, they put earning money above the welfare of animals which you can easily see so I have some serious doubts about the strength of your common sense.. Why is it there are so many people who won't hear a bad word said about Thailand no matter how screamingly obvious the truth is, or at least to anyone with decent common sense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

i'd rather be a coconut picking monkey in Thailand than be a pet dog in a western country locked up in a home all day and only outside on a leash.

Or even worse, a "pet" dog in Thailand.  This barbarian rsole's poor dogs have it a bit worse than coconut picking monkeys.  

Edited by phetchy
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Common sense dictates to me not to use animals for profit in my export business as it is now not acceptable in other cultures.

Move with the times mate.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Do it then or stop your B/S !

Why do you say it's BS? PETRA has done an article on it urging people to boycott the products, UK supermarkets have taken it off the shelves,, do you not even ask yourself that perhaps there might be something in this?

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

Have you seen Monkeys being beaten in training,   c'mon, give us a clue.

I don't think sheep dogs get beaten .. but they are certainly chained up or in cages when not working.. I've seen it on outback stations.. not a nice life.. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

And many of them only know what the media is telling them !

Just now, GAZZPA said:

Common sense?! Thailand has a terrible reputation for animal cruelty, they put earning money above the welfare of animals which you can easily see so I have some serious doubts about the strength of your common sense.. Why is it there are so many people who won't hear a bad word said about Thailand no matter how screamingly obvious the truth is, or at least to anyone with decent common sense.

Some are brown nosers fearing others wrath.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

I think you should wake up, us "quirky" Brits don't mistreat animals. Your example of domestic dogs and cats is ridiculous, they are not slaves, they are pets and if you know anything about Brits they don't treat their pets badly, on the contrary, if anything they are pampered and treated like royalty. They are not wild animals dragged from their natural habitat.

Open your eyes and stop pretending it doesn't happen and using such brainless examples accusing the Brits of animal slavery.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

And maybe go watch a breeder "breaking a horse"  which is a very adapt description, maybe she will ban Horse racing ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

How do you know it is explotation from several thousand miles away ?

What a ridiculous thing to say,,, have a wild guess how they might know.

The British, leaders in the slave trade of humans from Africa to their colonies in the Americas are appalled by monkeys harvesting coconuts.  The British, using opium to enslave Chinese, and using elephants to harvest teak are upset by monkeys harvesting coconuts.  What morally upstanding people the British are.  Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Once the Brits (and western nations in general) begin to really care about animal welfare with regards to what is going on in their chicken, pork and beef "concentration camps" and consequently ban meat, dairy and eggs produced in this way from their supermarket shelves, maybe then - and only then! - do they gain the moral right to point an accusing finger at the practice of "abusing" monkeys for picking coconuts.

Honestly, it's about bloody time for the the western world to return to firm ground and rid itself of this PC insanity that is increasingly destroying any common sense, poisoning our societies and infecting people en masse as if it were the plague.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, phetchy said:

Or even worse, a "pet" dog in Thailand.  This barbarian rsole's poor dogs have it a bit worse than coconut picking monkeys.  

oh goodness you're right, this one mans actions balance everything out and make the monkey abuse ok,, sorry Thailand, please carry on as usual...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

How convenient was this clip to push their agenda. I am saying that it is not how it is normally done. If it is what you want, you will embrace this clip. Who produced it, when and where.   They are'nt  going to say are they. Then good luck. 

Edited by Huckenfell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

Ok Mr Superiority.

How you get the coconut from the tall old tree? 

Burmese kids?

Pension the monkeys off and employ a few of these fellas.  I think it would be safe to say that if they weren't up for a spot of coconut harvesting, they'd soon let you know.  You might lose a few fingers, but it would be worth it to save a few Burmese Kids - simples!

https://allthatsinteresting.com/coconut-crab

• Haha 1

The British, leaders in the slave trade of humans from Africa to their colonies in the Americas, as well as importing opium to China to enslave thousands are upset about monkeys harvesting coconuts.  What morally upstanding folk they are!  Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.