Thailand says monkey labour 'almost non-existent' after UK shop ban

webfact

Just now, transam said:

So you like killing things that are out there doing their own thing. Hmmmmm. ????

Yes, myself and millions of others..................

State wildlife agencies and the country's wildlife conservation system are heavily dependent on sportsmen for funding. Money generated from license fees and excise taxes on guns, ammunition and angling equipment provide about 60 percent of the funding for state wildlife agencies, which manage most of the wildlife in the U.S.

This user-play, user-pay funding system for wildlife conservation has been lauded and emulated around the world. It has been incredibly successful at restoring the populations of North American game animals, some of which were once hunted nearly to extinction.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

State wildlife agencies and the country's wildlife conservation system are heavily dependent on sportsmen for funding. Money generated from license fees and excise taxes on guns, ammunition and angling equipment provide about 60 percent of the funding for state wildlife agencies, which manage most of the wildlife in the U.S.

This user-play, user-pay funding system for wildlife conservation has been lauded and emulated around the world. It has been incredibly successful at restoring the populations of North American game animals, some of which were once hunted nearly to extinction.

Sorry, it's just me, just don't understand folk who want to kill for a hobby. ????

But then again, folk are pulling their hair out here over monkeys doing a job of work...????

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

There are probably cruel people in every country in the world when it comes to harming animals, but if you are trying to say that the UK do no better at protecting animals then Thailand, sorry but you are delusional.

1) We not kill the monkey.

2) only use for the old tall trees, the new tree breed is short now. Easier. 

3) we not shoot buffalo for fun. Shoot the buffalo? Very brave. Same shoot koala or sloth.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

BS

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yinn said:

Ok Mr Superiority.

How you get the coconut from the tall old tree? 

Burmese kids?

Its very simple , if international consumers dont like the idea of monkeys being used to harvest cocunuts, then you change the process or get new markets.

All this ' dont understand Thai way ' moaning is childish , you may do as you wish , just dont whinge when customers find it unnacceptable.

As for your ' Burmese kids ' notion, you may not have noticed but Thai labour practices have been red flagged for years , child labour isn't viewed too well in the west either.

Edited by joecoolfrog
  • Haha 1

...what about all the monkeys and other primates sacrificed in the Chingers Vaccination programmes..or have they now run out and now using the Uigher Data Base to select DNA compatibles?

1 hour ago, Swedenlars said:

What about the poor carabao ?? I think they work harder than the monkeys.

..and my missus..she scales up a tree and cuts the branches all for a Mamas 8 baht packet.

(The whole World is so hyped up at the moment about any issue you may dream up..so chill out).

• Like 1

-The monkeys are not being abused! 

-We dont use monkeys to pick cocounuts!

-You just dont understand the way of Thai life! 

All coming from the very same entity within a 2 day span. 

Hilarious stuff,  the turning and twisting will definently convince retailers in England to contineu buying. 

Edited by Okis
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

...so will they ban lamb chops because they use dogs to round up the sheep?

This is Peta so they will do anything they can to stop people from eating meat keeping pets or anything else dealing with animals

4 hours ago, transam said:

Sorry, it's just me, just don't understand folk who want to kill for a hobby. ????

But then again, folk are pulling their hair out here over monkeys doing a job of work...????

I used to hunt it was more than just killing it was putting meat on the table it was enjoying the out doors watching other wildlife

17 hours ago, webfact said:

"Using monkeys for the coconut industry is almost non-existent," Thai Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit told reporters, saying human labour had long ago replaced monkeys.

I'm CONFUSED!!!

In this news report, the government is saying the monkey practice hardly exists anymore.

Yet in another report/thread posted here lately, the government says they're going to be inviting foreign diplomats to witness how humane and natural the monkey harvesting is...

So, which is it?  We're not doing it anymore, or, we're going to invite the diplomats to see just how we do it?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

The domesticated working animals have laws to protect them from abuse and neglect. In the UK and most developed countries people abusing animals are prosecuted, fined / imprisoned.

The animals you are talking about are domesticated and have been selecticily bred for hundreds of years for qualities that make them suitable for the work they do...and enjoy the work. They are trained using humane methods also. 

The monkeys are wild animals. They are also far more intelligent and emotional animals than a horse or dog. To capture them and take them off their mother is very stressful for them...it's basically similar to kidnapping a young child from its mother's arms. 

Posters think the adult monkeys picking the coconuts all look happy. Maybe they are while up the tree, or getting food rewards off their owners. But, do these posters know how they are housed and treated when they go home? They are kept on short chains attached to a post or in a small cage in isolation from each other. 

If people can't see it's immoral and cruel to take intelligent animals from the wild and cage them up / force them to work or perform tricks and train them using fear and pain...then there is something wrong with such people. 

But what about pigs and cows that are inhumanely raised for meat in the UK ?

16 hours ago, Yinn said:

Is Carrie a vegan? 

Safer for monkeys do it than human. Burmese people will die now. Sure. Carrie should think. 

I think she low knowledge. The old tree is to high for the stick.

And

“On 4 April 2020, Symonds announced on Twitter that she was in recovery after experiencing symptoms of coronavirus and spending a week in bed. She was not tested for the disease.” 

Boris positive, why not test Carrie? Carrie spread coronavirus?

Sorry Yinn ,  but Thailand has a very bad reputation concerning animals, zoos , parading beautiful elephants in traffic and often in chains. Very often you see Thai families who have dogs in cages, please don’t deny this, you will not be credible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neverere said:

But what about pigs and cows that are inhumanely raised for meat in the UK ?

Yes pigs , cows , sheep are bred for food the world over. Sometimes , not often , cruelty happens ,the companies  are found out, make the news, and Usually closed down. 

Mrs. Stadtler mumbled something about PETA and Moto Taxi Drivers but Stadtler was unable to decipher her meaning.  Stadtler loves animals.

4 hours ago, Asking for a friend said:

PETA is a Marxist anti-capitalist blackmail mafia money laundering front using millions of animals for profiteering, can I report PETA to PETA?

Stadtler will be happy to forward your complaint.  Stadtler is a member in good standing of PETA and Stadtler has been for many years.

What is your complaint?

10 hours ago, transam said:

I didn't like going to work 6/7 days a week, but I had too...

You ever heard of the Big Top Circus...?

Sea World Florida...?

Yes, and many people want them closed down....and for good reason. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Just a few months ago i watched the "monkey man" arrive next door with his little mate. It took them a couple of hours to clear about a dozen trees of coconuts, about 50 nuts in all . Are they trying to tell us that this is how Thailand gets its coconut milk for export, if they actually believe this, what idiots. Those trees were just too tall and old to get the nuts in any other way. I noticed that the monkey boss called his little mate down for a rest on several occaisions, they sat on the back of his truck whilst he had a smoke and even before he had distinguished his fag butt , the monkey was back up the tree without any order. To me it looked as though it was enjoying the job, so where does torture come into it .  This was at the back of my bungalow at Maenam Beach Koh Samui, so perhaps the Brits have never heard of KS .

Yes, I have had similar experiences - One time, I followed a truck through Yala, the monkeys perched on the side of the truck without chains, totally obedient. The guy pulled up outside 7-11, no one batted an eyelid, least of all the monkeys. 

I would imagine they do go through a good beating to get to this stage, and I think this was part of the concern by the UK government, but like what is happening to this world, we have nothing better to correct than a few thousand of monkeys that perform a traditional job that has been practiced for hundreds of years. 

22 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

If the gold fish, unlike you it appears, has  spatial awareness, cognitive skills and intrapersonal intelligence, yes then you could call clinging on a speeding truck cruel.

Says it all, giving more consideration to unsubstantiated claims regarding goldfish and monkeys than people sleeping on the streets.

Cruelty is widespread, get it in perspective.