Phoenix, stranded and forgotten two years later

webfact

Phoenix, stranded and forgotten two years later

By The Phuket News

1594033413_1-org.jpg

Preecha Jaiart, owner of the recovered wreck of the Phoenix, at Rattanachai Shipyard on the east side of Phuket Town, where the wreck remains today. Photo: Preecha Jaiart

PHUKET: Two years after the Phoenix tour boat overturned and sank in storm conditions south of Phuket, killing 47 Chinese tourists in Thailand’s worst maritime disaster in modern times, the recovered wreck remains at Rattanachai Shipyard on the east side of Phuket Town, alone and forgotten.

Preecha Jaiart, who bought the Phoenix wreck at auction from the Anti-Money Laundering Office (Amlo) in August last year, told The Phuket News that will conduct a merit-making ceremony later this week to honour those who died in the disaster, which also included the death of 37-year-old Thai diver Niphat ‘Joch’ Kludnak, who collapsed and died after surfacing from a dive to the wreck some 45 metres below the surface.

The death of Mr Niphat brought the total number of people who died as a result of the disaster to 48.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phoenix-stranded-and-forgotten-two-years-later-76611.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-07-07

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I thought he was going to restore it and then sink it.

I seem to recall a very loud protest demanding that the ship be broken up for scrap and sold and the money used to support training of boats crews etc., as a display to the Chinese that action was being taken to improve safety.

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

It will cost a mint to restore it and even than anyone who'd the history of this boat will not but or take a ride on it unless he'll rename it and ship it elsewhere...

You miss the part where the new owner wants to sink it ?

The wreck of the phoenix may be stranded in a Boatyard close to Phuket, but it has certainly not been forgotten by the families of the 48 people that perished.

Nor has it been forgotten by the Chinese Authorities, and the failure by the Thai Authorities to acknowledge the disaster upon the first anniversary certainly added salt to an open sore that remains to this day.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Lots of photos and you can see from the pics of the engine how sad the condition of them is. (I don't have a clue about boats/ships, but to me the engines in the pic look way to small for a ship that size. They look like little 2 cylinder truck engines !)

It's got twin 6 cylinder HINO's.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Two years after the Phoenix tour boat overturned and sank in storm conditions south of Phuket, killing 47 Chinese tourists in Thailand’s worst maritime disaster in modern times, the recovered wreck remains at Rattanachai Shipyard on the east side of Phuket Town, alone and forgotten.

Only forgotten by T.A.T who would like everyone else to do the same !

Trusted Thailand.

• Like 2

This boat cannot be restored as its design was flawed and it is not a seaworthy vessel under any circumstances. It was poorly constructed too and I believe it has a truck engine, not one specifically designed for marine use. Chop it up or sink it. Can you imagine what the Chinese would say if this boat was returned to service !!!

Edited by Searat7
Addition
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

It's been said the phoenix was top heavy and underpowered, but still cheaper to rebuild than a new one. With the right displacement new engines, and maybe a little trimming of the superstructure, she could be fit for service again. even with a competent skipper who could ride out heavy seas would make a difference.

When you see the size of modern cruise liners, and container ships, there is a way to build boats that are more stable, its just a matter of design.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

This boat cannot be restored as its design was flawed and it is not a seaworthy vessel under any circumstances. It was poorly constructed too and I believe it has a truck engine, not one specifically designed for marine use. Chop it up or sink it. Can you imagine what the Chinese would say if this boat was returned to service !!!

Where was it constructed ?

From what I was told, the Phoenix didn't overturn in storm, apparently the welds split open at the rear end due to the poor construction standards it was built to. 
You can only presume the whole ship is of the same crappy standard. They should have left it where it was so it could become a reef and fishing location like the ferry that's out there. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, hsovereign said:

From what I was told, the Phoenix didn't overturn in storm, apparently the welds split open at the rear end due to the poor construction standards it was built to. 
You can only presume the whole ship is of the same crappy standard. They should have left it where it was so it could become a reef and fishing location like the ferry that's out there. 

Such nonsense troll. Clearly know nothing about the report.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1