NFL: Trump slams Washington Redskins as team re-evaluates name

webfact

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:
On 7/7/2020 at 8:18 AM, Berkshire said:

And you've spoken to a Native American?  Didn't think so.

I never thought "Redskins" to be offensive, but I'm not an American Indian.  At the end of the day, it's about a TEAM'S NAME.  That's it.  It's not going to hurt anybody if they changed their name. 

And it is not going to ḧurt¨ anybody to keep the name.

Clearly you are wrong.  I hope you're man enough to admit it.

[Because, for one thing, it’s not just a name at all. In fact, the name is a dictionary-defined racial slur. The slur and logo do not exist in a vacuum, and continually prompt fans to engage in really racist behavior in the stands: redface, faux-feather headdresses, fake drums, fake long hair and braids, war whoops, a blade impaling the plastic-rubber head of what is supposed to be a Native American, etc.]

[Imagine being a Native kid and having to be exposed to this wretched, racist nastiness. Indeed, there are empirical studies that prove Native mascots and logos harm the mental health and stability of kids, and not just related to the Washington NFL team either.]

[In 2005, the American Psychological Association called for the immediate abolishment of mascots because of the empirical data that demonstrates how they harm children.]

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-s-washington-nfl-team-tweet-shows-controversy-about-more-ncna1232941

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, they are rather stupid names for sports teams when you think about it .

*Cowboys, Indians , Eskimos, Red sox , Yankees *

They should change their names to sensible names  , like 

Washington United

New York City

Detroit Wanderers 

Edmonton Albion .

Time for the silly names to go 

Doesnt matter who agrees or disagrees with the name change. Its up to the owners.

i have no idea of your reference to team names i have never hears of. You are free to your opinion that silly names should go.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2020 at 6:29 AM, Thailand said:

This political correctness has gone way way over the top and probably for the first time ever I agree with Trump.????

And among others Mercedes changing their racing livery to black, out of control!

Mercedes desperately want to virtue signal; and pander to their star driver whose lost his sense of reason. And quickly before anyone investigates their murky Nazi past.

27 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

You do realise this thread is about trump don’t you?

This story is about the Redskins potentially changing their name .

Although Trumps name is in the headline (And IMO , it shouldnt be) , this isnt really a story about him 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Morch said:

Trump is POTUS. What he says often carries consequences. You wish to deny and ignore that? Go right ahead.

In this particular story , what consequences will there be in regards to what Trump says ?

This story is an issue between ; The Club and the Clubs sponsors and the pressure groups urging change . Will Trumps comments effect anything (more so than anyone elses comments)?

36 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

This story is about the Redskins potentially changing their name .

Although Trumps name is in the headline (And IMO , it shouldnt be) , this isnt really a story about him 

Oh good, you did spot trumps name in the headline then, jolly jolly

• Like 1

Here is alittle story, to help the guys from yesteryear understand a bit better!

When I was a kid (70's) in Germany we had a very popular sweet!

It was a waver, with sweet eggwhitecream, covered in chocolate, forming a small cone!

Evey child loved it!

These delightful treats were called "Negerkuss" - which translates into "Negrokiss"

When I was a child, a "Neger" was a black man or woman and it never crossed my mind, that there was something wrong with it!

My father had a colleague, who was a "Neger"- a friendly man, everybody liked - especially the children!

Then...some years later...they changed the "Negerkuss" into a "Schokokuss" and no child really understood, why?

What was wrong with being a Neger and why do you have to change the name of the treat?

And when I was 13, I saw "The Color Purple" and later "Roots"...and I understood, why a thing, that had no hateful or hurtful meaning to ME, could be extremely hurtful to others and I understood, that a "Negerkuss", as innocent as it was to me and my friends, might not have been so innocent to others!

My opinion in the matter of changing the names of the "Redskins" into something else, does not matter a single bit!

But if people are hurt by that name, it should be changed!

It is not that hard to understand!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Maybe he is your President , he isnt mine .

You may hang on every word he says, I dont .

I like to discuss World issues without Don being center of attention .

What he says is irrelevant to myself .

OK, this story is about Trumps comments .

How about we discuss the story without Dons comments ?

Theres a whole World out there going on , and all comes down too ..............

What did Donald say about it 

It doesn't matter if he's "my" President or yours. He's POTUS, and as such what he says carries more weight, and consequence than other people. You want to pretend he's irrelevant to the story? To current events? Or maybe that none of what happens in the USA or the World got something to with him? Go right ahead and enjoy that delusion.

There are plenty of comments on here discussing the issue of name change. There are many posts commenting on Trump's words as well. You seem to ignore the former and reject the latter. That doesn't leave a whole lot of room for "discussion", just endless deflections such as the one above.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

So why does trump feel the need to say anything about it. 

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

Same reason why everyone else does .

Yeah, only he's not "everyone", he's POTUS. When he weighs in on issues, especially with loaded comments, it's bound to have an extra effect. One would imagine he's got more important things to deal with right now - pretty much his view of Obama getting involved in the pretty much the same issue back when.

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

In this particular story , what consequences will there be in regards to what Trump says ?

This story is an issue between ; The Club and the Clubs sponsors and the pressure groups urging change . Will Trumps comments effect anything (more so than anyone elses comments)?

So, to be clear, in your mind, Trump's comments and words carry the same effect as an everyday Joe posting on social media? Was there a shortage of instances where his tweets caused trouble? Fanned the flames? Increased divisions?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

I understood, why a thing, that had no hateful or hurtful meaning to ME, could be extremely hurtful to others and I understood, that a "Negerkuss", as innocent as it was to me and my friends, might not have been so innocent to others!

People who don't understand the profound hurt caused by racism and other kinds of bigotry, because they are never the target, don't understand what all the fuss is about.

If offensive behaviour, based on stereotyping, wasn't a thing, then there'd be no reason to find words offensive either. "Sticks and stones, etc".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

There's an Australian footballer named Adam Cooney.

I'm wondering if he'll have to get the deed poll out.

No. We also have coon cheese and that wont change either.

What’s next?  Chicago Blackhawks(NHL), Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets(College), Edmonton Eskimos (CFL), Arizona State Sun Devils(College) and the Coachella Valley High School Arabs(California).  

Why stop there?  The US Army has the following helicopters:  UH-1 Iroquois(great bird-flew it), OH-58 Kiowa, UH-60 Blackhawk(again), AH-64 Apache and new entry UH-72 Lakota.  

It could never end.  I just read the play “Hamilton” should be cancelled because (I do not know why).  

44 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

What’s next?  Chicago Blackhawks(NHL), Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets(College), Edmonton Eskimos (CFL), Arizona State Sun Devils(College) and the Coachella Valley High School Arabs(California).  

Why stop there?  The US Army has the following helicopters:  UH-1 Iroquois(great bird-flew it), OH-58 Kiowa, UH-60 Blackhawk(again), AH-64 Apache and new entry UH-72 Lakota.  

It could never end.  I just read the play “Hamilton” should be cancelled because (I do not know why).  

I don't see any issues with most of those but the Eskimo one has been controversial for a long time.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/after-speaking-with-inuit-edmonton-eskimos-football-team-decides-to-keep-name-unchanged

The Arabs one is definitely interesting. There appears to be a totally innocent history to it but check out this bizarre mascot --

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/controversial-mascots/4/

Looking forward to a Texas high school football team being called the Texas Jewboys.

Edited by Jingthing

43 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Disagree, Trump is pandering to his base and doing whatever he can to distract from the real issues the US is facing.

Have the USA electorate forgotten about all the other issues now that Trump has commented on this story ?

Are people able to think about more things than just one thing ?