Pattaya tourist attraction explains away filthy water polluting the sea

webfact

Pattaya tourist attraction explains away filthy water polluting the sea

5pm.jpg

Reporters went to the Pattaya tourist attraction called the Sanctuary of Truth after posts and a clip on social media showed filthy black water polluting the sea.

Facebook poster Areerut Sinsupun inspired much comment with the observation about the temple: Where is the virtue in that?

The sea was turning black and there was a bad smell experienced by the Thai and foreign visitors to the beach. 

Senior executive Warakorn Wiriyaphan explained to 77kaoded on Monday that heavy rain had caused a water holding area to fill up. 

A pump had malfunctioned.

During measures to rectify the problem using heavy equipment, a cap on a pipe was broken and the water flowed to the sea. 

5pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

It was temporarily sorted within 10 minutes as two overflow pipes were blocked off with cement. 

She said that the Sanctuary of Truth would never pollute the environment and said it was just muddied rainwater that had entered the sea. 

The attraction is a Hindu/Buddhist temple and museum outside Pattaya where construction began in 1981. The largely wooden structure is expected to be completed by 2025, notes Thaivisa.

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-07

• Haha 1

A more plausible excuse than used for all that black water that spewed into Pattaya Bay a few weeks ago.

And as many of you know, it doesn't take long around here for any "stagnant" water to start smelling pretty funky !  Like, days maybe. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A pump had malfunctioned.

That old chestnut again...........nearly as common as brake failure...........I wonder if there is a Thai translation for Planned Maintenance................

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

That old chestnut again...........nearly as common as brake failure...........I wonder if there is a Thai translation for Planned Maintenance................

I've looked it up before, there just isn't one, or for 'preventative maintenance', as opposed to 'corrective maintenance'.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, time2093 said:

They got the whole headline of this story wrong. The new Pattaya tourist attraction is the filthy water polluting the sea

Maybe it should be "filthy sea polluting the filthy water".   It's all much the same in Pattaya. 

"Sanctuary of Truth" a Temple construction started in 1981. so it's being built for 39 years already & not due to be completed for another 5yrs, so thats 44 years to build a temple. In the past 20 years, I have never had the urge to go to Pattaya, but When it's complete i'll have to go there to see it. It must be some very special place.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Wavel said:

"Sanctuary of Truth" a Temple construction started in 1981. so it's being built for 39 years already & not due to be completed for another 5yrs, so thats 44 years to build a temple. In the past 20 years, I have never had the urge to go to Pattaya, but When it's complete i'll have to go there to see it. It must be some very special place.

Check out 2 posts above, its cr@p.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Wavel said:

Well it's not a real temple

there are no monks living here nor religious ceremonies taking place here.

The whole idea was to give a view on the woodworking and the arts and crafts in this matter

with a sort of perpetual work in progress, few wood carvers and their families live here

this give them an income and help to preserve an ancestral know-how

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Does that mean it was sorted within 10 minutes after the pump had initially malfunctioned, or 10 minutes after the news crew went to investigate?

It was sorted whilst the news crew was there, then unsorted after they left. ????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Does that mean it was sorted within 10 minutes after the pump had initially malfunctioned, or 10 minutes after the news crew went to investigate?

I believe I saw this mucky water going into the sea there many years ago.... last time I went there (they have a free week once a year). As you say, not an issue until someone points it out. There must be dozens of old pipess still pouring sewage and drainage into the sea from Na Jomtiem to North Naklua.

• Like 1

Although I'm stuck in the USA, My Mrs. in Pattaya just sent me a video of rain 'pissing' down where we live on khao Noi -- the Darkside/Eastside of Pattaya...

We live near the top of this 'hill/mountain' and often when we have these torrential rains our roads down to Pattaya are 'Rivers' that our water runoff creates moving all our runoff water (and plastic trash) downhill to Pattaya.... Everybody's sois feed into this main (Road) river flowing toward Pattaya, And the water picking up all the trash plastic (bags and bottles) along it's way to Pattaya and Pattaya Bay...... SO........ Yhe roads that become rivers are Soi Khao Talo and Soi Khao Noi) all of east Pattaya's mountain/hill garbage is swept away to Pattaya and the beach..... AFTER these major 'downpours' when you drive along you can see 'every' sewer draining gratings partially clogged with plastic bags and bottles....... And Pattaya makes excuses for where all this plastic is coming from and yet it is so easy to see...... At least ME (as a farang) can see it....... WHY CAN'T THE THAI (PATTAYA) GOVERNMENT SEE IT ??????????????????????

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kensawadee said:

Although I'm stuck in the USA, My Mrs. in Pattaya just sent me a video of rain 'pissing' down where we live on khao Noi -- the Darkside/Eastside of Pattaya...

We live near the top of this 'hill/mountain' and often when we have these torrential rains our roads down to Pattaya are 'Rivers' that our water runoff creates moving all our runoff water (and plastic trash) downhill to Pattaya.... Everybody's sois feed into this main (Road) river flowing toward Pattaya, And the water picking up all the trash plastic (bags and bottles) along it's way to Pattaya and Pattaya Bay...... SO........ Yhe roads that become rivers are Soi Khao Talo and Soi Khao Noi) all of east Pattaya's mountain/hill garbage is swept away to Pattaya and the beach..... AFTER these major 'downpours' when you drive along you can see 'every' sewer draining gratings partially clogged with plastic bags and bottles....... And Pattaya makes excuses for where all this plastic is coming from and yet it is so easy to see...... At least ME (as a farang) can see it....... WHY CAN'T THE THAI (PATTAYA) GOVERNMENT SEE IT ??????????????????????

In 40 years, despite all the money thrown in it, they have been unable to manage the floods coming after every major rain with a decent drainage system. so you can't ask to them to be able to deal with the plastic carried by the water. One (Baby) step after another ! Maybe in 2050....

Maybe not 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 8:47 AM, sungod said:

Ever been there? Over priced, over rated and as you insinuate - a poop hole.

I visited this attraction in January. It is clean and well managed. The large lake has coy carp in it (they don't survive in filthy conditions) they had disabled toilets with toilet paper! And soap! And a disabled lift with its cabin carved in wood. The animals seemed well looked after and the quality of work in this huge edifice was amazing. There is a great deal of investment in this attraction and I seriously doubt they would risk losing custom by failing to maintain it or polluting the surrounding environment. I would believe their explanation. There are a lot of people who's livelihoods depend on this attraction. There also seem to be a lot of people on this forum willing to trash anything Thai.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:19 PM, Leaver said:

They see it, they just don't want to spend the money to fix it properly.  

Or would rather spend a percentage of it and be off to the showrooms.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 8:42 AM, jacko45k said:

Or would rather spend a percentage of it and be off to the showrooms.

Or better still, spend nothing, make a press release that the problem is fixed, and go to a better showroom.  ????