BANGKOK
webfact

Pattaya tourist attraction explains away filthy water polluting the sea

Pattaya tourist attraction explains away filthy water polluting the sea

5pm.jpg

Reporters went to the Pattaya tourist attraction called the Sanctuary of Truth after posts and a clip on social media showed filthy black water polluting the sea.

Facebook poster Areerut Sinsupun inspired much comment with the observation about the temple: Where is the virtue in that?

The sea was turning black and there was a bad smell experienced by the Thai and foreign visitors to the beach. 

Senior executive Warakorn Wiriyaphan explained to 77kaoded on Monday that heavy rain had caused a water holding area to fill up. 

A pump had malfunctioned.

During measures to rectify the problem using heavy equipment, a cap on a pipe was broken and the water flowed to the sea. 

5pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

It was temporarily sorted within 10 minutes as two overflow pipes were blocked off with cement. 

She said that the Sanctuary of Truth would never pollute the environment and said it was just muddied rainwater that had entered the sea. 

The attraction is a Hindu/Buddhist temple and museum outside Pattaya where construction began in 1981. The largely wooden structure is expected to be completed by 2025, notes Thaivisa.

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-07

• Haha 1

A more plausible excuse than used for all that black water that spewed into Pattaya Bay a few weeks ago.

And as many of you know, it doesn't take long around here for any "stagnant" water to start smelling pretty funky !  Like, days maybe. 

There you are,a statement from the Sanctuary of Truth...so it must be true then....:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If Pattaya is ever going to rival Hua Hin in the future it has to sort out these niggly problems.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A pump had malfunctioned.

That old chestnut again...........nearly as common as brake failure...........I wonder if there is a Thai translation for Planned Maintenance................

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

That old chestnut again...........nearly as common as brake failure...........I wonder if there is a Thai translation for Planned Maintenance................

I've looked it up before, there just isn't one, or for 'preventative maintenance', as opposed to 'corrective maintenance'.

• Like 2

They got the whole headline of this story wrong. The new Pattaya tourist attraction is the filthy water polluting the sea

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, time2093 said:

They got the whole headline of this story wrong. The new Pattaya tourist attraction is the filthy water polluting the sea

Maybe it should be "filthy sea polluting the filthy water".   It's all much the same in Pattaya. 

"Sanctuary of Truth" a Temple construction started in 1981. so it's being built for 39 years already & not due to be completed for another 5yrs, so thats 44 years to build a temple. In the past 20 years, I have never had the urge to go to Pattaya, but When it's complete i'll have to go there to see it. It must be some very special place.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Wavel said:

"Sanctuary of Truth" a Temple construction started in 1981. so it's being built for 39 years already & not due to be completed for another 5yrs, so thats 44 years to build a temple. In the past 20 years, I have never had the urge to go to Pattaya, but When it's complete i'll have to go there to see it. It must be some very special place.

Check out 2 posts above, its [email protected]

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Wavel said:

Well it's not a real temple

there are no monks living here nor religious ceremonies taking place here.

The whole idea was to give a view on the woodworking and the arts and crafts in this matter

with a sort of perpetual work in progress, few wood carvers and their families live here

this give them an income and help to preserve an ancestral know-how

• Like 2