Rare pheasant, seen only twice in last 50 years, appears in Chumphon wildlife sanctuary

webfact

Rare pheasant, seen only twice in last 50 years, appears in Chumphon wildlife sanctuary

By The Nation

800_4f72fb2a9b2d6f8.jpg?v=1594093950

The crested fireback pheasant, a very rare bird indeed, was discovered at Prince of Chumphon Wildlife Sanctuary Park in Chumphon province.

Park chief Arthorn Kamlangbai said this bird was discovered when it appeared out of thick forest to look for food at Thap Inthanin Roadblock.

The wildlife sanctuary had been closed to tourists for more than a month.

“Last year, we found a group of crested fireback pheasants 8 kilometres from this roadblock,” he said. “Bird watchers and tourists have contacted the wildlife sanctuary to allow them in to see and take pictures.”

Bird Conservation Society of Thailand president Kaset Sutecha said the crested fireback pheasant is a very rare bird that usually resides in lowland forests. This bird, he said, is considered a forest ecosystem indicator because it was reportedly discovered only twice in the past 50 years.

“This showed that the wildlife sanctuary has maintained its forest ecosystem very well,” he said. “Therefore, we would like to see this bird for ourselves and take pictures of it because we’ve only heard about its existence for the past 50 years.”

People who wish to snap pictures of the rare pheasant must first contact the head of the northern area of Prince of Chumphon Wildlife Sanctuary Park via telephone 081-7973455 as Thap Inthanin Roadblock can support only ten tourists in four vehicles per day.

Tourists are required to use only trucks or four-wheel-drive vehicles to enter the wildlife sanctuary and bring their own food and drinks.

They will need to have their temperature taken, wear face masks, wash their hands and check in and out via the ThaiChana platform.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390885

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-07

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I hope there aren't any pheasant pluckers here nor pheasant pluckers son...

I'm not a pheasant plucker
I'm a pheasant plucker's son.
And I'm sittin' pluckin' pheasants
Til the pheasant plucker comes....

Song by Irish rovers...

Hahaha .. it was only a matter of posts before a member came up with that .. you beat me to it .. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Song by Irish rovers...

but you have to say it fast ... lol  

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

With all the publicity it can only be a matter of days before it is shot, strangled, knifed or poisoned.

I have loaded the Purdy's and am en-route, only five days 'till the glorious twelfth, who cares it's only July!.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

“Last year, we found a group of crested fireback pheasants 8 kilometres from this roadblock,” he said

so not seen  only twice in 50 years then ......

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Song by Irish rovers...

Fig plucker

I thought English was my first language and then I clicked on this thread wanting to see a "Rare" peasant, "seen only twice in last 50 years," in the wildlife sanctuary. It was a nice surprise, but also a little bit of a disappointment. Peasants are so rare. ????