Drought hits Sirikit Dam water capacity

webfact

Drought hits Sirikit Dam water capacity

By THE NATION

800_59cba77792d07d2.jpg?v=1594097213

Water in Sirikit Dam, the country’s largest dam, is running low due to the drought.

Assistant director Wutikrai Srangnitorn said today (July 7) that the dam presently contains 3.34 billion cubic metres of water, or just 35 per cent of the dam’s total capacity of 9.51 billion cubic metres.

Of the present amount, only 7 per cent, or 480 million cubic metres, can be used, he pointed out.

The water in the dam this year is lower by 215 million cubic metres compared to the same period in 2019.

The average amount of water flowing into the dam is 8 million cubic metres right now despite the rainy season, he said.

The dam was ordered to release 15 million cubic metres of water to support daily life, as well as farming activities by locals. Wutikrai said this water was enough to meet local demand.

He believed more water would flow into the dam between August and October, bringing the level to 74 per cent of its capacity, with the facility’s water situation improving by the end of the year.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390891

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-07

They started a project to deepen the local retention (monkey cheek) dam here were I live. The plan was that they would dig out about 6,000 truckloads of dirt from when they started until the rainy season would stop the job... now they they are closer to 12,000 truckloads as we have yet to see any heavy rain and the problem now is that they are starting to run out of land to put the soil/dirt that they dig up.
The local river that is supposed fill the dam is also dry...  the only water you can see are some big puddles that have formed when it have rained... the rest of it has just turned in to a "green bush river".   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trillian said:

This is so misleading and inaccurate. Sirikit is not the largest, Buhumibol is. And Sirikit has bottomed earlier this year than last, last year was lower but not until later in the year. Sirikit reached 3.2 billion cu meters on 1 August 2019, this year is actually higher than last.

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

I always thought Srinakarin was the largest.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mackayae said:

I always thought Srinakarin was the largest.

You're right, I never knew that, I stand corrected...thanks.

I'm now wondering why that reservoir is there and what is its usefulness since it doesn't appear to serve Bangkok. At least with Bhumibol and Sirikit they are both in the North and eventually flow into the Chao Phrayo which helps push back the sea water and prevent salination.

Edited by Trillian

2 hours ago, Trillian said:

This is so misleading and inaccurate.

Don't spoil the "agenda" the masses thrive on fear! ????

They will all be wearing pointless facemasks next! ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trillian said:

I'm now wondering why that reservoir is there and what is its usefulness since it doesn't appear to serve Bangkok.

Bangkok isn't the only province in Thailand that needs serving.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Bangkok isn't the only province in Thailand that needs serving.

No, But Bangkok is the only city that has a major river that flows from the North to the South, through the rice growing heartlands and which unless the flow of fresh water is maintained against the flow of seawater is capable of ruining forever the rice growing land.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Trillian said:

This is so misleading and inaccurate. Sirikit is not the largest, Buhumibol is. And Sirikit has bottomed earlier this year than last, last year was lower but not until later in the year. Sirikit reached 3.2 billion cu meters on 1 August 2019, this year is actually higher than last.

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

It is not yet 1st August  2020 and the level is  already lower by 250 million cm's at this  current date than in 2019.

Which implies that this year may be worse than  last.

• Like 1