Jurin to meet coconut farmers, monkey-school owners tomorrow

webfact

Jurin to meet coconut farmers, monkey-school owners tomorrow

By The Nation

800_e08c778fda7fe03.jpg?v=1594096613

Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said his ministry would meet with coconut farmers and monkey-school owners for a discussion tomorrow (July 8 ) and invite European Union ambassadors to observe the process of raising coconut-picking monkeys after an animal rights group claimed they were ill-treated.

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or Peta, has called for a boycott of coconut products from Thailand, claiming the monkeys are being forced to clamber up trees to pick coconuts, but the Commerce Ministry has pointed out that it is a Thai tradition and part of the country’s culture.

The meeting tomorrow will be held at Government House to rebut the accusation, while ambassadors of European countries will be invited to observe the monkeys at work so Thailand’s coconut product exports won’t be affected.

Jurin said Thai coconut products were in demand in European markets and 70 per cent of Asian restaurants and hotels were the main target group, while 30 per cent were European businesses.

Thailand produced 788,000 tonnes of coconut products in 2019, with exports amounting to about Bt1 billion.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390890

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-07

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said his ministry would meet with coconut farmers and monkey-school owners for a discussion tomorrow (July 8 ) and invite European Union ambassadors to observe the process of raising coconut-picking monkeys after an animal rights group claimed they were ill-treated

They just ain't getting it are they .. 

It is the perception abroad that the monkeys are being exploited .. they can try and justify and explain and say " f'rrang no understand Thailand " etc as much as they want .. the reality is folk outside of Thailand see it as cruel exploitation hence a lot of retailers are pulling products associated with it .. what Thailand is appearing not to understand is the f'rrang Supermarkets , Beauty product retailers get very jumpy when stuff like this comes out in the open and will sooner remove and stop selling stuff rather than incur the possibility of boycotts by customers and the bad publicity that brings .. 

If they value their coconut market they need to abandon this practice .. 

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp

Thailand is world famous for its abuse/exploitation of wild animals in the name of money. I long ago refused to go to any of their tourists attractions featuring any wild animals once i witnessed what was going on at their animal shows, Nong Nooch elephant show/Sri Racha tiger show to mention two appalling examples.

• Like 2

“The meeting tomorrow will be held at Government House to rebut the accusation, while ambassadors of European countries will be invited to observe the monkeys at work so Thailand’s coconut product exports won’t be affected.”

So the goal is to rebut the accusation and protect the exports, not facts gathering and let the ambassadors make up their minds.

Edited by CLS

PETA sadly failed in securing selfie-copyright standing for monkeys:

"The latest comes out of (naturally) San Francisco, where PETA backed a lawsuit to give a monkey the legal copyright to the “monkey selfie,” a picture the monkey took of itself using a wildlife photographer’s equipment."

https://petakillsanimals.com/peta-loses-another-ridiculous-lawsuit/

Also PETA's whales are slaves litigation unfortunately fell by the wayside:

" A California federal judge threw out PETA’s suit, filed on behalf of five orcas, claiming the animals’ rights are being violated under the 13th Amendment, which prohibits slavery. In reaction to the ruling, PETA argued that dismissing animals as property was the same argument used against African-Americans and women before their rights were protected."

http://petakillsanimals.com/petas-killer-whale-of-a-tale/

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or Peta, has called for a boycott of coconut products from Thailand, claiming the monkeys are being forced to clamber up trees to pick coconuts, but the Commerce Ministry has pointed out that it is a Thai tradition and part of the country’s culture.

Absolutely correct, PC has gone completely mad it is a shame that some people have nothing better to do and about time other woke up to what they are creating...!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phuketshrew said:

Sounds like a lot of monkey business to me. I wonder how the quality of education in the monkey schools compares with the regular Thai schools?

The monkeys seem to actually get the job done, so I'd guess superior.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

PETA is a crock they think eating meat is a sin.  Horses should not be raced and pussies should not be miss treated or shaved.????

pussies should not be miss treated or shaved.

They have just declared war against me.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

PETA is a crock they think eating meat is a sin.  Horses should not be raced and pussies should not be miss treated or shaved.????

Oh dear divorce lawyers will soon add the mistreatment of pussies into divorce settlements. They could get PETA as expert witnesses as obviously <deleted> would fit their definition of mistreatment!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Sounds like a lot of monkey business to me. I wonder how the quality of education in the monkey schools compares with the regular Thai schools?

I heard their English is better in the monkey school!

Here is my two cents. You can go and find people who are going to be cruel to animals. Some one knows them and cares. That's where PETA has a role. To stop that person or persons from treating their animals poorly.

There are many people who do NOT treat their animals badly. Sadly PETA wants to lump them in with the bad group and they have gullible people like PM Johnson's significant other who now has a voice and takes the PETA bait and runs with it.

As regards the wild animal debate. The cow, water buffalo, dog, horse, donkey, etc. were all wild animals. Animals have been domesticated throughout time to serve the needs of man(kind). I see nothing wrong with the use of monkeys to help with harvesting drupe or fruit from a tree.

I see everything wrong with the way the owner(s) of the monkeys in the video treated their animals. 

• Like 1