Chiang Mai: More than 400 get dengue, one death since start of the year

webfact

Chiang Mai: More than 400 get dengue, one death since start of the year

10pm.jpg
Picture: Daily News

The chief of the infectious disease department in Chiang Mai in Thailand's north gave details to the media of the number of cases of dengue fever since the start of the year.

Since January 1st there have been 439 people with the disease caused by bites from infected mosquitos. One person has died. 

Dr Songyot Khamchai said that the most cases had been in Chiang Dao district followed by Mae Rim and Hot districts.

He advised people who show sudden fever lasting two days to urgently seek medical attention. Rashes on arms and legs are also indications of infection along with aches and pains. 

He strongly advised against self-medicating as a late diagnosis can lead to death.

He advised practical measures like keeping houses and yards clean and tidy and covering standing water to deter the mosquitos from breeding.

Such measures were good to prevent dengue, Zika and Chikungunya viruses too.

People concerned that their areas are infested with mosquitos should call the authorities for spraying services. 

Source: Daily News

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

Was there ever a reason to ?

I don't recall dengue ever being an airborne infection  -  or passed on by human contact.

Irony maybe as the number of death is higher than of Covid. Get it now?

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, hugocnx said:

Irony maybe as the number of death is higher than of Covid. Get it now?

LoL!

Your reasoning is very flawed. Dengue fever is not passed on from human to human contact.

So should we go on lockdown for anything that causes more deaths than Covid-19?

HIV, TB, Cancer, Dementia, Malaria, suicide even road fatalities cause more deaths annually then Covid-19!

14 hours ago, heybruce said:

How do you quarantine mosquitoes?

You don't. You quarantine the people.

Lock everybody inside. Make sure there are fine screens on every window and have everyone wear a hood like a bee keepers (but finer mesh), gloves that cover up to your elbow, thick socks, thick long sleeve shirts and full length pant clothes and boots with the pants either tucked in or a band around the pants leg to prevent them flying up there...

Seal the doors and windows shut. Then tell everybody it's for their own good.  Many will be like sheep and baa...

48 minutes ago, kamma said:

LoL!

Your reasoning is very flawed. Dengue fever is not passed on from human to human contact.

So should we go on lockdown for anything that causes more deaths than Covid-19?

HIV, TB, Cancer, Dementia, Malaria, suicide even road fatalities cause more deaths annually then Covid-19!

Well, you gave the answer yourself. After all is now known about the Covid hoax and the very little percentage of death, there is no reason for special measures anymore and there never was actually.

The chance of a car accident is greater but still people drive cars. Why are they not scared? It's not about personal contact you might say, but then you give your own examples of HIV and TB.

9 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

You don't. You quarantine the people.

Lock everybody inside. Make sure there are fine screens on every window and have everyone wear a hood like a bee keepers (but finer mesh), gloves that cover up to your elbow, thick socks, thick long sleeve shirts and full length pant clothes and boots with the pants either tucked in or a band around the pants leg to prevent them flying up there...

Seal the doors and windows shut. Then tell everybody it's for their own good.  Many will be like sheep and baa...

That seems rather extreme, considering that Thailand has lived with dengue for centuries and the numbers have remained low.

Now if dengue were a disease shown to spread exponentially when measures are not taken, I could see the logic.

6 minutes ago, lee b said:

This is what i am worried about. I offen get bit many times by mosquitos, I hope never to be bitten with an infected one.

That is one of the reason I moved away from Thailand I got bitten hundreds of times

every day nobody else did, I used every thing possible not getting bitten, you name it 

I did use it all. Mosquito repelling gadgets, sprays, and every thing you can think of.

26 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

That is one of the reason I moved away from Thailand I got bitten hundreds of times

every day nobody else did, I used every thing possible not getting bitten, you name it 

I did use it all. Mosquito repelling gadgets, sprays, and every thing you can think of.

Same here, ive tried everything. I can go out for a beer with freinds, they dont seem to get bit, however i have more holes than than a pin cushion.