Bangkok: Truck knocks over electricity posts

webfact

Truck knocks over electricity posts

By The Nation

800_163ba04910b2157.jpg?v=1594101567

Bangkok’s Pridi Banomyong Road before Khlong Tan intersection was blocked for hours by six fallen electrical posts after a 22-wheel truck ploughed into the poles and overturned.

The incident took place before dawn today (July 7).

Truck driver Chaowalit Yooyen said he was delivering rocks to a construction site in Prawet district when his vehicle encountered a wet bridge in heavy rain. The truck skidded and hit the electrical posts, knocking six of them down.

Witnesses confirmed the accident occurred during “heavy rain”. They said they heard a loud noise and saw sparks on the road. The bridge, they added, has seen several accidents, but this was the worst.

Police were informing motorists to take an alternative route via Pridi Banomyong Soi 45. The road was expected to be cleared for traffic around noon.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390897

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-07

• Haha 2

555!!   I live close-by.  I had woken up and had to go to the toilet. Just as I hit the bathroom light switch, there's an odd sound and the electricity went out: AC, fridge, all the little lights from electrical devices......

"What' I do???"

Glad to find out it wasn't me, after all.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dddave said:

555!!   I live close-by.  I had woken up and had to go to the toilet. Just as I hit the bathroom light switch, there's an odd sound and the electricity went out: AC, fridge, all the little lights from electrical devices......

"What' I do???"

I first visited Thailand in 1985 and '86. It seemed then that whenever it rained in Bangkok there was a black-out. The bikini-clad girls in the bars would light candles and start knitting!???? Great memories.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dddave said:

"What' I do???"

What about your Internet? 

Our Internet was down until about lunchtime because of this. (According to True)

3 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Don't say size of Rock but larger ones are difficult to secure because of their shape especially if they are carried in a tipper body where cornering and braking can have them move around which in turn can affect stability .. that aside and not withstanding the condition of the truck tyres and braking system I would suggest speed was also a factor as taking out 6 poles is quite an achievement .. 

Speed definitely a factor... the main factor. 

Trucks scream up and down Sukhumvit 71....   In a town were little surprises me it surprises me the speed at which very large lorries travel up and down this road.

Clearly, this truck driver was a total tool. Clearly no tread on the tires, crappy breaks etc... 

Driving extremely recklessly, he’ll receive a 500B fine and his company will get the repair bill. 

He’ll be driving again by tomorrow, he won’t have learned a thing and his company won’t care. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Why do the authorities insist on placing all these power poles in the way of the trucks and cars, it is just plain inconsiderate, and shows a total lack of foresight and planning....................:giggle:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Why do the authorities insist on placing all these power poles in the way of the trucks and cars, it is just plain inconsiderate, and shows a total lack of foresight and planning....................:giggle:

That must be part of the cunning plan to put all the utilities underground, to prevent the poles jumping out in front of motorists.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Don't say size of Rock but larger ones are difficult to secure because of their shape especially if they are carried in a tipper body where cornering and braking can have them move around which in turn can affect stability .. that aside and not withstanding the condition of the truck tyres and braking system I would suggest speed was also a factor as taking out 6 poles is quite an achievement .

But 9 is the ultimate number !

Better luck next time.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Don't say size of Rock but larger ones are difficult to secure because of their shape especially if they are carried in a tipper body where cornering and braking can have them move around which in turn can affect stability .. that aside and not withstanding the condition of the truck tyres and braking system I would suggest speed was also a factor as taking out 6 poles is quite an achievement .. 

It was a '22 wheel truck'

That means it was  semi-trailer with 10 wheel tractor unit pulling a 12 wheel trailer. The biggest combination on the road in Thailand discounting  abnormal loads.

Jackknifed?

Edited by PETERTHEEATER
Typo

21 hours ago, bluesofa said:

So everyone was aware of the heavy rain, but the truck driver didn't bother to adjust his driving to allow for it.

In the Thairath TV news report the driver claimed he was only going about 40KPH  and that the road was wet and slippery causing him to slide out of control, smashing into one power pole which caused  many more to topple like dominoes.

10 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

It was a '22 wheel truck'

Looked more like a 10 wheeler with no trailer to me.

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I or 2 I can imagine, but he must have been shifting to knock over 6

The weight of the cables often brings down others like a domino effect..if you watch the video  he only hit one pole.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

taking out 6 poles is quite an achievement .. 

Not a huge achievement.  It doesn't take a lot of speed for a 22-wheel vehicle loaded with rocks to bring down one pole that then brings down the rest that are attached together.

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Clearly, this truck driver was a total tool. Clearly no tread on the tires, crappy breaks etc... 

Clearly?  You've completed your investigation, then?  Clearly, your talking nonsense is more like it.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

55 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

That means it was  semi-trailer with 10 wheel tractor unit pulling a 12 wheel trailer. The biggest combination on the road in Thailand discounting  abnormal loads.

Yes seems it did have a trailer

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bluesofa said:

So everyone was aware of the heavy rain, but the truck driver didn't bother to adjust his driving to allow for it.

The adjustment had been made for a strike but unfortunately he only brought down 6 pins and is now classed just above average at driving????

On 7/7/2020 at 6:21 PM, petedk said:

What about your Internet? 

Our Internet was down until about lunchtime because of this. (According to True)

My power came back about 2 hours later...pretty quick fix, considering.  Internet (3BB fibre) came back on when the router was able to power up.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:07 PM, dddave said:

My power came back about 2 hours later...pretty quick fix, considering.  Internet (3BB fibre) came back on when the router was able to power up.

Yes, that was fast.

Actually ours may have come back earlier (I didn't try as True said it would take nearly all day).

Anyway they gave us 3 days free Internet. Good service from True.