I'm starting to find the world a very ugly place to live.

giddyup

Agree 100%

the world is overpopulated with self absorbed narcissists who are concerned only with how much they can get for themselves. 
I was hoping this COVID thingy would wipe many of them out but it seems it is mostly taking the already weak and in-firmed????

human beings are like a disease.

we are a plague upon the world,

we destroy everything good that we see.

Hopefully a big rock will hit us soon so the planet can start a fresh.

• Like 1

This must be one reason that the present generation (majority) tend to 'go with the tide' - if not, life becomes tough.

With that, ethics, good manners, honesty fly out of the window...

4 minutes ago, ravip said:

This must be one reason that the present generation (majority) tend to 'go with the tide' - if not, life becomes tough.

So Socrates said.....

..and so my father said about those long haired louts of the 60's

...and so I have said on more than one occasion.????

4 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Anyway I've always thought that the world is an amazing place since commencing my travels in the early 70's and have thoroughly enjoyed my interactions with others most of the time and now that I am no longer able to travel can look back with pleasure on what I saw and experienced.

I admire your perceptions,  and though I may have had more than my share of bumps in the road I do not regret the tougher "learning experiences" along the way.    Having said that,  I always have some bitterness lying dormant inside wondering why so many bad things seem to be part of modern life.

I still adhere to trying to be positive and do the best I can however .

Yes, sounds like you had many experiences as well..... and that for me is what makes life interesting

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, rumak said:

Having said that,  I always have some bitterness lying dormant inside wondering why so many bad things seem to be part of modern life.

My only bitterness is wondering why relationships with white women are such poop.

Can't say any other 'bad things' have ever been part of my life.

Excluding white women,

The world has always been an attractive and pleasant place for me to live.

I've always lived in nice houses, traveled to nice places, and eaten nice food.

Edited by BritManToo

34 minutes ago, rumak said:

Yes, sounds like you had many experiences as well..... and that for me is what makes life interesting

It is always a pleasure talking to you Rumak...

From my personal and professional point of view I like this quote from a British historian (whose name I can no longer recall unfortunately)

"History is lived forward and understood backwards.."

As life is a river and all is change (Heracleitus)we can never quite  dip our toe in the current and demand time and change to stop-it never does.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pineapple01 said:

Bit off Topic, but a rumac comment made me think. Ive found its hard to get much out of those that have experienced the bad first hand . Those who haven't never shut up.:coffee1:

My experience is the opposite

8 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Well, in a previous post you've said that the best thing would be mankind's extinction, now you're for keeping us around, but with some sort of immoral Chinese-style 'breeding programme' attached. Push the button already. 

I'm not a murderer, but I'm all for birth control enforcement.

Humans will die out anyway, as it's just a matter of time before we pollute ourselves to extinction.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not a murderer, but I'm all for birth control enforcement.

Humans will die out anyway, as it's just a matter of time before we pollute ourselves to extinction.

This coming from someone who's never had children, not understanding the joy bringing a child up to be a responsible adult. The sacrifice, love and devotion needed. It's a good thing you never had kids. They're already thanking you.

5 hours ago, ravip said:

It's natural for youth to go with the mob. I used to as a kid. Why else do so many wear jeans ( terrible pants that don't even have decent pockets )?

Only when I'd retired and not subject to the tyranny of bad managers that I realised the truth. The mob is not always right.

It takes more bloody mindedness than most have to stand against the mob.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My only bitterness is wondering why relationships with white women are such poop.

Excluding white women,

Some have said that it is the difficult experiences , and the failures,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, which one learns the 

most from.   (you can argue,  but the very successful folks on Shark Tank repeat this often),

I am not going to write my biography here (your welcome)....... but I lived on my own since a very

young age,  was absolutely broke at 21 , and look at me today.    Still the same !     ????

Note:  humor is the best medicine .  my health is pretty good

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

This coming from someone who's never had children, not understanding the joy bringing a child up to be a responsible adult. The sacrifice, love and devotion needed. It's a good thing you never had kids. They're already thanking you.

They're welcome. The problem with parenting is that it's usually done by people that have no clue about being a parent.

I'd have made a really bad father, as I did what had had been done to me when I was a kid, and that was a terrible example. I went to a school with institutional bullying and where corporal punishment was the rule. Even prefects beat smaller boys. My own parents were terrible at parenting, which is probably why I never wanted any of my own.

Re the joy of parenting- I don't see much if any of it. None of my friends with children really loved them ( with two exceptions ). My first ex had 2 kids and I spent more time with them than she did as her "career" was more important.

Far as I'm concerned, if everyone had to pass an exam to be allowed to have kids few would pass.

I may never have had children but I brought up two for 5 years, and I was a paeds nurse for a while, so I do know something on the subject.

Responsible adult- 55555555555555555

Not many of those around nowadays. Too busy feminising their boy kids and spoiling the girls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

As life is a river and all is change (Heracleitus)we can never quite  dip our toe in the current and demand time and change to stop-it never does.

its amazing how there are quotes for almost every situation I can imagine .

I tend to like the older ones more than the fluffy newer ones   Guess I'm not keeping with the times  lol

They're welcome. The problem with parenting is that it's usually done by people that have no clue about being a parent.

I'd have made a really bad father, as I did what had had been done to me when I was a kid, and that was a terrible example. I went to a school with institutional bullying and where corporal punishment was the rule. Even prefects beat smaller boys. My own parents were terrible at parenting, which is probably why I never wanted any of my own.

Re the joy of parenting- I don't see much if any of it. None of my friends with children really loved them ( with two exceptions ). My first ex had 2 kids and I spent more time with them than she did as her "career" was more important.

Far as I'm concerned, if everyone had to pass an exam to be allowed to have kids few would pass.

I may never have had children but I brought up two for 5 years, and I was a paeds nurse for a while, so I do know something on the subject.

Responsible adult- 55555555555555555

Not many of those around nowadays. Too busy feminising their boy kids and spoiling the girls.

Truth in your statement, but there are a lot of good parents who sacrifice their lives for their children. I'm here not being able to do the things I love (Hunting,fishing,traveling) for awhile because I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter I need to raise..................

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Excluding white women,

Just look at western tv ads to understand. Western women have been indoctrinated by ads that prove men are stupid and women are clever for at least 50 years. Why, men can't even wash the dishes properly unless they have the right sort of soap.

Likewise. Unfortunately that only lasted as long as I didn't get married, then one took it all away from me.

Happened when I was 35 and had to start again from scratch, then decades later I stupidly thought Thai women made better wives.

• Haha 1

Happened when I was 35 and had to start again from scratch, then decades later I stupidly thought Thai women made better wives.

Thai women living in Thailand make excellent wives.

Mainly because the Thai divorce judge gives them nothing you own back in your home country.

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Truth in your statement, but there are a lot of good parents who sacrifice their lives for their children. I'm here not being able to do the things I love (Hunting,fishing,traveling) for awhile because I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter I need to raise..................

Your choice to have the child. If you couldn't commit 100% to raising said child shouldn't have had one. Good to see that you apparently did commit. Just don't forget that a child is your responsibility till you die. They didn't ask to be brought into the world.

I know something about being abandoned by an uncaring parent. Never gets forgotten.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Thai women living in Thailand make excellent wives.

Mainly because the Thai divorce judge gives them nothing you own back in your home country.

In your opinion. I didn't have much for her to steal off me, but perhaps that's why she turned into the monster from hell.

Your choice to have the child. If you couldn't commit 100% to raising said child shouldn't have had one. Good to see that you apparently did commit. Just don't forget that a child is your responsibility till you die. They didn't ask to be brought into the world.

I know something about being abandoned by an uncaring parent. Never gets forgotten.

I don't forget. I've had 6. The youngest is now 23. I still have a bucket list that includes traveling Europe, fishing and hunting in various places and it's not going to come as fast as I planned because of my little one now.

28 minutes ago, rumak said:

its amazing how there are quotes for almost every situation I can imagine .

I tend to like the older ones more than the fluffy newer ones   Guess I'm not keeping with the times  lol

Heracleitus of Ephesus was born in 530 BC.

Slightly after the invention of emails but about 10 years prior to Facebook.

..and about 2,400 years before TS Elliot's evocation of the "hollow men"

Edited by Odysseus123

18 minutes ago, rumak said:

Some have said that it is the difficult experiences , and the failures,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, which one learns the 

most from.   (you can argue,  but the very successful folks on Shark Tank repeat this often),

I am not going to write my biography here (your welcome)....... but I lived on my own since a very

young age,  was absolutely broke at 21 , and look at me today.    Still the same !     ????

Note:  humor is the best medicine .  my health is pretty good

I learned everything I know from my failures. Some wise person once told me that we learn nothing if we don't have failures in our life. Sadly I failed the really big one too late in life to recover from financially.

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't forget. I've had 6. The youngest is now 23. I still have a bucket list that includes traveling Europe, fishing and hunting in various places and it's not going to come as fast as I planned because of my little one now.

I've had 5, (and take care of 1 that isn't mine) haven't seen the Brit 4 since the divorce 12 years back (mom wouldn't let me).

Don't know if they're alive or dead, don't really care.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've had 5, (and take care of 1 that isn't mine) haven't seen the Brit 4 since the divorce 12 years back (mom wouldn't let me).

Don't know if they're alive or dead, don't really care.

That's the saddest thing I've read in a long time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1