Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

PETA accused of cultural racism and double-standards


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not necessarily the act of monkeys picking coconuts, it’s the conditions they’re kept in and the training methods they endure to be animal slaves in that industry. 

He is absolutely right.    Clean your smelly <deleted> at home first before jumping on that high horse.

Your english has become better than native english speakers, all of a sudden.

1 hour ago, Jane Dough said:

Have you confirmed that by speaking to the monkeys?

 

I think if I was one I'd quite enjoy going up trees for a living.

 

Rooster

With your luck I bet you'd end up as the branch manager.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, webfact said:

US-based animal rights protection group PETA has been accused of double standards and cultural racism after it claimed that the use of monkeys in harvesting coconuts in Thailand is cruel

I wonder if this protection group is also campaigning for mice and rats that are injected and used by US Pharmaceutical giants in the testing of potential medications, vaccines etc.

 

Lab mice make poor models for real-world immune systems - Cosmos ...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yinn said:

Schroevers runs the Monkey Training School in Surat Thani, Thailand, a Buddhist-inspired school founded 50 years ago to teach monkeys how to pick coconuts without the use of force or violence. He says Animal Place has it all wrong when it comes to how most monkeys that work on coconut farms are treated.

 

link.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/10/19/448960760/monkeys-pick-coconuts-in-thailand-are-they-abused-or-working-animals

So the only difference is they don't physically hit the monkeys. 

 

So you support .. 

 

A. Baby monkeys being taken from their mothers and family groups.

 

B. Wild monkeys being taken from the wild 

 

C. The monkey being kept on a short chain fastened for the rest of its life. 

 

Even the school report says they monkeys have to be tethered to stop them escaping.  So they can't be that happy if they want to run away.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sujo said:

Your english has become better than native english speakers, all of a sudden.

His (Yinn) speech pattern has always been excellent. Even when trying to sound like a Thai girl...sure.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MobileContent said:

You are spot on. I have seen in the South how the monkeys are trained from a small age onward's and it doesn't looks very good and sure is cruel but they are now mainly used for tourist attractions.

 

 

Where I live in Bang Saphan Noi district this is not the case. The monkeys here are well treated and the young ones are actually taught by their adults as to what to do. We have loads and loads of them around here all working with their owners for a living and not as tourist attractions. 

When the monkeys are working they are given a break every hour or else they will just stop! Also if they are abused they will not think twice about attacking.  This information you can get from the owners when you see them working and talk to them as I have often done. And do not forget that the monkey is the animal that is giving the owner and family a living so it is in their interest to look after them.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have delt with PETA on several occasion. I  have march with the Rev. Jessy Jackson  against there lies fafe pictures them destroying the lively of may business. They have been invited to inspect, visit greyhound kennels only to refuse and spread more lies to brainwash people that ALL animals are being mistrated. Whether it be dairy farmers to fish they will stop at nothing and could care less about animals. There only purpose is to collect a fat paycheck off of your donations. PETa should be treated as a very hostiak group.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slvlsa said:

I have delt with PETA on several occasion. I  have march with the Rev. Jessy Jackson  against there lies fafe pictures them destroying the lively of may business. They have been invited to inspect, visit greyhound kennels only to refuse and spread more lies to brainwash people that ALL animals are being mistrated. Whether it be dairy farmers to fish they will stop at nothing and could care less about animals. There only purpose is to collect a fat paycheck off of your donations. PETa should be treated as a very hostiak group.

I could not agree with you more. PETA is a very dangerous organization who are very quick to accuse with absolutely no proof to back up their claims. This attack on these monkeys is one such example! Has any official PETA representative actually been here to see how they are treated??  

Link to post
Share on other sites

PETA is opposed to all animal slavery  including bee keeping and silkworms.

 

I can't imagine in what Universe they accept pigs sniffing for truffles.

 

I found a PETA article raving about truffles but didn't see anything about them accepting the use of pigs to find them.

 

As for the other animal abuses cited, of course PETA is opposed to all of those and has actively campaigned against them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Leave it up to arrogant and uneducated (have never left their liberal bubble) PETA, to sound completely moronic and culturally ignorant. One of the biggest reasons I left California - these garbage human beings are everywhere (especially in the high density cities). They get an overpriced paper that they got conned into paying for and then it gives them a superficial boost in false confidence on top of an already fragile ego.

 

I would know unfortunately, I received my BA from Sacramento State University - most Universities churn out morons nowadays. This is a perfect example of something the alumni from most Universities in the liberal cities would have their finger prints all over.

Edited by GeniusFarang
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, GeniusFarang said:

Leave it up to arrogant and uneducated (have never left their liberal bubble) PETA, to sound completely moronic and culturally ignorant. One of the biggest reasons I left California - these garbage human beings are everywhere (especially in the high density cities). They get an overpriced paper that they got conned into paying for and then it gives them a superficial boost in false confidence on top of an already fragile ego.

 

I would know unfortunately, I received my BA from Sacramento State University - most Universities churn out morons nowadays. This is a perfect example of something the alumni from most Universities in the liberal cities would have their finger prints all over.

That made you angry, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Yinn said:

Schroevers runs the Monkey Training School in Surat Thani, Thailand, a Buddhist-inspired school founded 50 years ago to teach monkeys how to pick coconuts without the use of force or violence. He says Animal Place has it all wrong when it comes to how most monkeys that work on coconut farms are treated.

 

link.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/10/19/448960760/monkeys-pick-coconuts-in-thailand-are-they-abused-or-working-animals

Arjen S. is a fellow Dutchy and he wrote an open letter to this blog about monkeys and coconut picking . It's a good read (Google Translate should be able to not butcher Dutch to English too badly).

 

https://www.thailandblog.nl/achtergrond/lezersinzending-mishandelde-apen-gebruikt-voor-de-kokosnootpluk/

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sujo said:
16 hours ago, Yinn said:

Schroevers runs the Monkey Training School in Surat Thani, Thailand, a Buddhist-inspired school founded 50 years ago to teach monkeys how to pick coconuts without the use of force or violence. He says Animal Place has it all wrong when it comes to how most monkeys that work on coconut farms are treated.

 

link.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/10/19/448960760/monkeys-pick-coconuts-in-thailand-are-they-abused-or-working-animals

Your english has become better than native english speakers, all of a sudden.

Yinn has, perfectly acceptably, just copied the 10th paragraph of the quoted article, which was written by a native English speaker. They weren't her words.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2020 at 3:30 PM, sprq said:

Pigs enjoy looking for truffles, and they're not abused into doing it. The opposite is true for monkeys collecting coconuts. Wake up, Attawich.

<deleted>. How do you know monkeys don't enjoy collecting coconuts but pigs enjoy looing for truffles? I'm sure pigs would be far happier rolling aroud in mud. I don't expect any better response for a typical thai-based farang moaner of course. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 12:02 PM, Dionigi said:

The truffles are also taken away, with the pig probably only given one from all the ones it finds. Now that's abuse.

Give 'em some swill - they don't know price of truffles.  Giving a pig a truffle would be like "casting pearls truffles before swine".  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, worrab said:

I could not agree with you more. PETA is a very dangerous organization who are very quick to accuse with absolutely no proof to back up their claims. This attack on these monkeys is one such example! Has any official PETA representative actually been here to see how they are treated??  

I've always known PETA is be an extremist organization, and yes, dangerous.  They promote a vegan lifestyle, which should tell you a lot.  With all the slaughterhouses in the USA, you'd think PETA would be busy over there...yet, they have time to come to Thailand and harass the Thais about monkey picking coconuts.  Give me a break.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Follow the money.

PETAi s a US organisation

The US is currently engaged in a trade war with the far East under Donald Trump's protectionist policy.

Florida produces Coconut milk

Thai coconut milk is regarded as better quality than Florida and is cheaper to produce

The UK wants to be a trading partner with the US post Brexit

As they say in the US 'Do the Math'

I would suppose that much of the badmouthing of Thai culture on this forum is done by those who who do not or are not allowed to live in Thailand.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...
On 7/8/2020 at 9:18 AM, jak2002003 said:

So the only difference is they don't physically hit the monkeys. 

 

So you support .. 

 

A. Baby monkeys being taken from their mothers and family groups.

 

B. Wild monkeys being taken from the wild 

 

C. The monkey being kept on a short chain fastened for the rest of its life. 

 

Even the school report says they monkeys have to be tethered to stop them escaping.  So they can't be that happy if they want to run away.

 

 

The monkeys are kept tetherd as they are difficult to get. They will not escape. They do not try to escape.  They even stay mostly at the place they ususal live. Only problem with monkeys, you can not teach to approach you when you call them. 

We never said we need to keep them tethered to prevent them from escaping. That is your (complete wrong) imagination.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PJHassselt said:

The monkeys are kept tetherd as they are difficult to get. They will not escape. They do not try to escape.  They even stay mostly at the place they ususal live. Only problem with monkeys, you can not teach to approach you when you call them. 

We never said we need to keep them tethered to prevent them from escaping. That is your (complete wrong) imagination.

Really. So you are telling us that if your remove the monkey's chains from around their necks they will not run away? If you keep them in a cage and open the door they will just stay in there are not escape? 

 

How about if I fasten a chai around your neck for the rest of your life and not let you have any freedom.  That is no way to treat any wild animal and you should know in your heart that is wrong. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2021 at 6:38 PM, jak2002003 said:

Really. So you are telling us that if your remove the monkey's chains from around their necks they will not run away? If you keep them in a cage and open the door they will just stay in there are not escape? 

 

How about if I fasten a chai around your neck for the rest of your life and not let you have any freedom.  That is no way to treat any wild animal and you should know in your heart that is wrong. 

Yes, that is exactly what I tell. 

 

They do not escape, and they even do not try or intend it. They stay at the same spot as when they are locked. Till we approach them. Then they will move away. So that is the moment we need to catch them.

The monkeys are not wild animals. They are bred in captivity (that is also required by Thai law) And also the parents from these monkeys must be bred. All is registered, monkeys have a chip, and there are regularly checks. Maybe an interesting read for you: https://www.firstschoolformonkeys.com/abused-monkeys/

I think most people are tight with a chain around their neck. And we know most people do also not escape. So not much difference.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, PJHassselt said:

Yes, that is exactly what I tell. 

 

They do not escape, and they even do not try or intend it. They stay at the same spot as when they are locked. Till we approach them. Then they will move away. So that is the moment we need to catch them.

The monkeys are not wild animals. They are bred in captivity (that is also required by Thai law) And also the parents from these monkeys must be bred. All is registered, monkeys have a chip, and there are regularly checks. Maybe an interesting read for you: https://www.firstschoolformonkeys.com/abused-monkeys/

I think most people are tight with a chain around their neck. And we know most people do also not escape. So not much difference.

 

 

If you can't see it's wrong to treat wild animals like that...or any animal like that...then I suggest you take some time to step back and re evaluate your morals and heart. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...