WHO doesn't see bubonic plague in China as high risk - spokeswoman

snoop1130

2020-07-07T092356Z_1_LYNXMPEG660K2_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-WHO.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A logo is pictured on the headquarters of the World Health Orgnaization (WHO) in Geneva, Switzerland, June 25, 2020. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse

GENEVA (Reuters) - An apparent outbreak of bubonic plague in China is being "well managed" and is not considered to represent a high risk, a World Health Organization (WHO) official said on Tuesday.

Local authorities in the city of Bayan Nur in the Chinese region of Inner Mongolia issued a warning on Sunday, one day after a hospital reported a case of suspected bubonic plague. It followed four reported cases of plague in people there last November, including two of pneumonic plague, a deadlier variant.

"We are monitoring the outbreaks in China, we are watching that closely and in partnership with the Chinese authorities and Mongolian authorities," WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris told a U.N. press briefing in Geneva.

"At the moment we are not...considering it high-risk but we are watching it, monitoring it carefully," she added.

The bubonic plague, known as the “Black Death” in the Middle Ages, is a highly infectious and often fatal disease that is spread mostly by rodents. Cases are not uncommon in China although they are becoming increasingly rare.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-07

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is also a vaccine for the plague. I was getting a shot every 6 months when in the military and on word wide mobility many years ago for it.

Was it a vaccine, or were you administered preventative Antibiotics? 

I was in Kazakhstan about 20 years ago, there was reports of a case (outbreak?) nearby. We were ‘administered’ a vaccine, but I’m wondering if it was not a preventative Antibiotic.

Screenshot 2020-07-07 at 12.25.13.png

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, DPKANKAN said:

The WHO.... Sponsered by, by, by... oh yeah China. ????????????????????????

????????????????

Masterful, and dare I say almost Presidential...............

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Of course not.

There are outbreaks of the Bubonic place each year. 

China reported an outbreak in Mongolia in 2019. 

Between 2010 and 2015 there were about 3248 cases of the Bubonic Plague world wide. 

The most recent outbreaks have been in the Congo, Madagascar.

In 2009 several people died in a remote town Ziketan in Qinghai province on the Tibetan Plateau.

In 2014 Yumen Province (China) was sealed off after 1 Bubonic Plague death was reported.

The Bubonic Plague, spread by flea bites and contact with infected persons, it can be treated with Antibiotics.

This is getting media attention now because everyone attention is heightened towards viruses, bacteria  and any transmissible disease. 

Any minor outbreak or case of anything is now a 'media wet-dream’.....

It is estimated that the USA has up to 9 cases of bubonic plague per year.

There are antibiotics that will cure it too and it is not highly infectious between humans as such - this form of plague is mainly transmitted via a flea that is a parasite of rats. Reduce the rats, contact with rats, fleas etc and you greatly reduce the instance of plague. If only Covid-19 were so easy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Seems a bit strange that at least 3 Virus /Disease problems started in China,  Maybe more that we Don't know about yet. 

Are the Chinese Breading all this in the Labs or is that country in such a Mess that all of this is Floating around the Chinese Country. 

• Like 2

Who has lost all credibility with me at least.    At least they are now open to considering the covid 19 is airborne.  Pretty obvious from the way China  reacted.   pretty obvious to me considering it's a lipid encased virus of such small size.  I never  believed this 1-2 meter distance.   As a hunter who has seen animals bolt at 200 meters from my scent line.  I consider the prevailing wind in my encounters with people outside.  Scent molecules are gigantic space ships compared to a single vivid 19 cell.  I recall one time  golfing and I could  smell 2  boys  smoking pot on moms deck at the far end of the 500 meter fairway.  I do have a great nose.  Not always an asset when in Thailand or even LA or NYC with garbage and sewer smells.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

Seems a bit strange that at least 3 Virus /Disease problems started in China,  Maybe more that we Don't know about yet. 

Are the Chinese Breading all this in the Labs or is that country in such a Mess that all of this is Floating around the Chinese Country. 

I believe both of your theories have merit. Conditions in China range from acceptably clean to filthy wet markets and all  And CCP delayed sequencing information until it was way too late.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2020 at 5:54 PM, snoop1130 said:

we are watching that closely and in partnership with the Chinese authorities

I’m not sure Chinese partners are credible.

they seem to have a lot of disease there.  Another pig virus just sprang up as well-capable of infecting humans.